Status: Active :]

This Table Has Taken A Turn For The Worst

You Were The Only Face I'd Ever Known.

"You can't be serious about this? Jesus, it's been a month since she left! Please tell me you're not still in love with her!" I just stared down at the picture that Mike had found, ignoring his words. It was from our last day together before she went away for the summer. We had looked so happy; all smiling, but it meant nothing. Why did I still have it?
"C'mon, she moved on, why can't you? There are better people out there! Trust me, you'll find someone way better, maybe sometime this summer even! It could be as soon as that...hey...William?" I remained silent. Mike grew aggravated and went to leave. Before he closed the door, he looked back once more, "My phone'll be on all night if you need me." He said softly. When I didn't bother to turn to him, he shut the door quietly.
For a few seconds more I sat still. Then I let the picture drop from my hands. "But they never broke up with you for no reason..." Sighing, I laid facedown on my pillow. Our last conversation before she left played over again in my head. I hated remembering that everything we had was no longer there...

[Approx. 1 month ago]
"You know I'm going away for the summer, so I might find someone over there...and might be interested. She glanced downward and back up. My heart was pounding, and I couldn't hear anything else. There was only she and I right now.
"What do you mean, Liz?" My hand rose to stroke her hair. Her brown eyes sparkled when she looked up again. Tears were welling up in her eyes and she pulled away, arms wrapped around herself. There wasn't anything I could do at this point. I understood what she said perfectly; I just didn't want to believe it.
"Well, what if there are other guys over there? What if I want to be with them as much as they want to be with me? I don't want to betray you in any way. Maybe it'd be better if we went our separate ways...for now...at least..." Liz was no longer looking me in the eye, but off to the side. My pulse slowed as I took in the situation. I couldn't believe she was breaking up with me for this reason.
"If there's another guy? What if there isn't? Do you think we can act like it all never happened?" I stared in disbelief.
Now she was staring down at her shoes; my arms outstretched towards hers.
Her eyes glanced towards me but were cast downward once more, "Yeah," her voice was loud and echoing in my head, however in reality, Liz's voice was only a whisper, "there's some really nice people where my Aunt lives. Maybe there's a guy...and if there is, I don't want to be tied down. Maybe we need a break-"
"It's only been four months, and you think you need a break from me already?" My voice was filled with hurt.
"Yeah...I'm so sorry...but if there's a guy, I mean wouldn't you prefer this to an over-the-phone break-up? Isn't-"
"If there's a guy? You do realize you're giving us up for the possibility of something better?"
"I don't think it's fair to you if I go away and meet someone else."
"Is that what you plan to do?" My anger was now boiling inside of me, and I didn't know whether I was angrier at this stupid reason to break up, or hurt at the idea that she thinks a summer romance is better than something permanent. I would always be here for her.
She started to squirm, and twist one of her rings around her fingers, "It wasn't, but you know how summers are..."
"No, I don't. In case you haven't noticed, I planned on spending the whole summer missing you, and telling you that no matter how far you are I still love you. You're looking for a summer fling!" I felt numb, like the words weren't even my own anymore.
"It's not like that-"
"Yes it is! You're looking for someone to mess with since you're going to be away from me, who, up until now I guess, was your boyfriend-" The word got caught in my throat, and I stopped, and threw my hands up in frustration. She continued to look down, and with every sentence I had said, my volume had slowly, but gradually, rose.
"There could be another guy who I happen to-"
"What if there isn't one?"
"Well what if there is?" She looked up at me, tears falling and eyes fiery. I glared back, and rolled my eyes, my own tears betraying my anger. Fine, if she wants it to be over, then let her get her way. If she doesn't think she can withstand two months without cheating, fine. She can go flirt with all the damn guys she wants; I don't give a shit.
After a few more seconds, I responded, "Fine. Go ahead," I saw her come closer, as if to hug me goodbye or something "don't come any closer. You told me it's over. Hope your summer is a-fuckin'-mazing." I walked down the path back to my car. "Am I taking this too hard?" I thought to myself. I mean...we weren't together forever.
I'm guessing she didn't move or anything yet because I didn't hear her open the door to her house. Was I harsh? By my standards, very. But she wanted it to end, and for a stupid reason. She got what she wanted...I never could deny her what she wanted.
I pulled my car keys out of my pocket and got in my car. Sitting for a second, I let the conversation sink in. We're over. It wasn't even "we" anymore. I punched my steering wheel before putting the keys in the ignition. "Dammit..."
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter! Opinions, please. I started this about a year ago, and I really wanted to continue it. So let me know how it is as it progresses! :]