Status: Active :]

This Table Has Taken A Turn For The Worst

I'm Missing You To Death, But It's All For The Best, I Know.

It wasn't terribly hot out, and I was wearing a thin white and gray striped tee anyway so I kept cool. I made it to the cafe a little after 9:00AM, which was their opening time, so there weren't many people there. I decided to take a seat at a little round table, and looked at their little menu. Some things didn't sound too bad, and I decided on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, a blueberry muffin and a coffee, of course.
Looking around, I also noticed a "help wanted" sign up by the cashier. I made a mental note to let Andy know that this place was looking for people as well. Maybe he could get me coffee at a discount.
"Hi, my name is Mae, and I will be your waitress today. Are you ready to order?" I looked up to see a girl who looked about my age as my waitress. Her long brown and blonde highlighted hair was up in a ponytail, with her bangs framing part of her face, which brought out just how clear and bright her blue eyes were. She was all smiles, and I could just tell she had a pleasant personality. It was contagious, and I couldn't help but smile back at her.
"Uh, yes, I'd like one coffee, a blueberry muffin and a toasted bagel with cream cheese-" I thought about my mom at home, "actually, make that 2 muffins, but could you please bag one?" She nodded and wrote down my order.
"I'll be right back." She flashed me another smile, and walked away. She looked familiar to me, but I know I didn't know anyone named "Mae". She could have been in some of my classes, but I should have recognized her then. It wasn't something that bothered me terribly, I was just curious. And anyway, she was cute in a sense that she had a bubbly personality and was a generally nice person. But I didn't like her; my heart still ached over Liz and her abrupt goodbye. She was pretty, I will give her that, but I didn't think of this random stranger of anything more than a pretty face.
In minutes, she was back with everything, including the muffin in a small brown bag for my mom. I thanked her, but couldn't bring myself to smile and look at her again. I thought about Liz, of course, who had crept up into my mind, and the last time we went out together. I was a little over a month ago, and we spent all day together. We went out for lunch at a diner, and then spent the day driving around the multiple places. She wore…
"No," I shook my head thinking, "I can't dwell on the past." She had always talked like a tease anyway, talking about how we were going to spend our senior year together, and eventually trying to go to college near each other, and so much about the next year together. She had promised to call every night while she was away. The thing that stings like hell is not knowing whether she had wanted to break up for a while and was leading me on, or whether it was just a last minute decision. I prayed for the latter, because I had always thought she was caring. Even when she was calling it quits, she tried to do it without hurting me so much.
I finished my coffee, and the waitress, Mae, came over again to take the plates and cup away while also distracting me from my thoughts. I was debating whether or not to ask her whether she was in my classes or not, but once she got to the table, I was already in my reclusive mood, and reached just for my wallet to pay and tip. However, before she left, she shot me another stunning smile, "Have a nice day."
"You too." That smile made it hard to make me smile myself, even if I wasn't in the best of moods. I wasn't able to resist looking at her to say goodbye, I had always hated mumbled goodbyes.
I grabbed the bag with the muffin, and began to walk away, looking one more time at Mae. I was leaving feeling slightly dissatisfied that I couldn't figure out if I knew her or not. If I didn't, I should. She seems like the type of person that could cheer anyone up, and I know that she slightly lifted my mood, especially when she also looked back once more, smiled, and waved goodbye. There was just something about her now, where I knew that if we had been friends, I knew she'd be the one who was always in a good mood. I really needed someone like that. And I still wanted to talk to her, just a little bit. Summer's a time for new connections. I was definitely going to visit this place often.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really didn't want to end the chapter and was really unsure as to how to leave it without him seeming so bipolar so I hope that he seemed okay for you guys :/ I'm really excited to write this now. Comments are always nice, because I like to know what you guys are thinking about this story. It makes me want to write more. If I get no comments, I don't feel motivated to write and make you guys happy, y'know?