Status: Feeling the Water :)

A Marauder's Tale

Giving In

Chapter Nineteen.
By Green Raspberries.

Christmas had come and gone. So had her mothers anger. Shabby, her owl, must have been overtired due to all the letters Aurora had sent her daughter. Complaint after complaint after complaint.

According to her mother, Clarity was being selfish and mean by choosing to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas break.

Clarity knew her mother well and decided to wait until the plethora of letters stopped before writing a tentative letter explaining that she was too busy and would try to make it up to her mother.

This seemed to be good enough because the letters stopped and the presents came.

It was the day before all the rest of the students came back to Hogwarts and Clarity was absolutely beside herself with excitement. The thought of seeing James, Remus and even Peter was a thrill. They had asked her to go to the Christmas Party they were throwing in the Gryffindor Commons tomorrow night after they all got back. After debating whether seeing Sirius there was worth missing it, she decided not and wrote James back with a, "Hell yes."

She hadn't seen Sirius since Christmas morning when he wished her a "Happy Christmas!", accompanied by a wink and saunter.

She merely smiled to herself and continued down to the lake.

Today was a cold winter day and the grounds were glistening with snow. This was, however, the first day the Black Lake was frozen solid. She moaned with displeasure and heard a wolfy chuckle from behind her shivering form.

"Happy Christmas, indeed." She grumbled, blowing her hair out of her face with a huff. She turned to him, knowing he was there.

"Shame. I really like watching you Will." He crossed his arms over his chest and much to her surprise, lit up a muggle invention, a cigarette.

"I know," She glanced at the cigarette, "I see you sometimes."

"Do you want a drag?"

"No. I didn't know you smoked."

"Picked it up last summer. Anything 'muggle' to piss off my parents." He shrugged his shoulders. No teasing smile or grin on his face when he normally spoke about defiance. She decided to leave it at that.

She turned to walk away from the boy in the leather jacket with the black messy hair, when he called,

"I have an idea."

Sirius Black was clever. He had always been cunning. Only his insurmountable bravery had stood in the way of him and Slytherin House.

Clarity however, upon hearing his idea to break into the prefects bathroom, didn't know whether he should be deemed clever or imbecilic.

Imbecilic, because it was breaking and entering.

Clever because it was close quarters and a rather romantic environment.

She noted the latter as she stepped out from behind Sirius and gazed upon the lavish bathroom with awe. It was painted in a golden hue and the windows were floor to ceiling stain glass. The art ranging from mermaids to rolling hillsides.

Sirius watched Clarity as she surveyed the room with wonder. He was going to make a comment about the size of her eyes, when something about the smile on her face had told him not too.

It was curious, thought Sirius, James had told him of Clarity's unrefined, beaming smile that he often talked about. Sirius had seen a mere glimpse of it once, after James had struck out with Lily for the millionth time that day. He simply shrugged and ran after her, winking at Clarity as he followed the red headed vixen.

Sirius had never been on the receiving end of one before. Today was no different. She wasn't smiling at him, but at her surroundings. Though, she was smiling near him, which in his eyes, was progress.

His thoughts shifted elsewhere as she stripped down to her rather unflattering underwear and stepped cautiously into the water. Her small frame, white underwear and matching bra all disappearing into clear water.