Status: Does anyone still read this? Because I'm willing to try and finish it if so.

Just Another Reason I Could Never Forget You

Chapter Twelve

"Miss Henderson?"

I blinked a few times before nodding. Mr. McCusker leaned forward with his hands laced together. He seemed to either be awaiting my reply or forming another sentence.

"Jericha? Do you want to leave school now and go see your father?"

Dad? Leave school? What is going on here?

Clearing my throat, I stood up and nodded. I had to keep calm or else I was going to lose it. If I lost it here, in the principal's office, I don't think I'd ever forgive myself.

"Uhm, yeah. I uh, yeah. Can I stop by my history class first? I need to pick up my stuff."

The principal sat there quietly and studied me for a few. I think he was trying to discern whether or not I was in the right state of mind to do anything.

"Of course. Maybe you should ask a friend to get your work for you while you're down there."

I nodded once more and then shuffled out of the office and headed towards my history class again. Upon opening the door, every head in the classroom turned to look at me. The two faces that stood out the most were Jack and Zack's though. When they saw me, I got to watch the worry worm it's way onto their faces. They knew something was way wrong. Thank god the bell rang when I grabbed my things. Convenient? Yes.

Both of the boys ran over to me and hugged me, though Jack's hug was much less awkward than Zack's.

"What's wrong, Jerri-Berri?"

"My dad. He's in the hospital in critical condition. I'm going to Baltimore to see him. Could... could you guys maybe get my work for me?"

"Yeah, sure Jericha. It's not a problem. I hope your dad's okay," Zack said as he gave me a reassuring smile.

"No. I'm sorry, Jerri, but you are in no condition to drive anywhere. You haven't looked in a mirror since being told, have you?"

"I-uh, no. Why?"

"You look like you're in shock. I'm driving you to Baltimore, and I'm not taking no for an answer. Zack, can you make sure you and the others get all of her work?"

"Yeah, like I said, not a problem."

"Jack, you really don't have to. I'm sure my mom is gonna take me."

"Jerri, don't be ridiculous. Your mother wants nothing to do with your father. You and I both know that."

I bit my lip and nodded, because Jack was right. Walking quietly out of the classroom, I headed to my locker to grab my messenger bag. Both of the boys followed me, making sure no tried to mess with me.

"So, Jerri, do you want to take my car of yours?"

"Yours, I guess. But how are we gonna get my car home?"

"I can drive it to your house after school. My car didn't want to start this morning, so Alex gave me a ride," Zack said.

Zack, drive my car? Yeah, right. But it's better than leaving your car here. True. And he's been nice enough lately.

"I suppose. But fuck up my car and I'll fuck up your face Merrick."

"Ouch. Sounds painful. Don't worry though, I'll take better care of your car than I do my own. Promise."

I pulled my car keys out of my bag and gave them to him before turning to Jack.

"Well, I'm ready to go, I guess."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm sorry this took so damn long, but it's here now. And so am I. So yay? I've got part of thirteen written, so I'm probably going to be posting that too today! Happy day? I think so. Well, at least for us. Not so much for poor Jerri-Berri.