Status: Completed

You Are the Best One, of the Best Ones

The Middle.

June 15th, 2008.

James, now not a little boy, but a seventeen-year old teenager, dragged his hand through his brown curls. He was anxiously awaiting the return of his long-time friend, Lea Micheals. She and her family had stayed at the Grant's hotel every summer since the first.

She should have arrived by now.

This was it. This was the day when James was going to tell her that he liked her. In his opinion, they were meant to be together. When they had been little, Lea had claimed that one day, they would get married. James had scoffed then, but now, he held the dear memory close to himself. The year before, on the day before she had left, they had kissed. Sure, they lived far away, but they saw each other every single day for two months of the year, and that was certainly enough for James.

He hoped it would be enough for Lea.

A car honked outside, dragging James away from his thoughts. His older brother walked out to the car to grab the luggage out of the trunk. James squnited at the car, trying to see who was coming out of it. As soon as he saw the familiar flash of light brown hair, he was out of the lobby in a flash. He slammed into Lea, saying loudly, "Lea! Lea!"

She squealed and hugged him tight. "James! It's been a whole, horrible year without you!"

He smirked a little. "Oh, you know, I didn't know you'd miss me that much."

She giggled. "Oh please. You know just as well as I do that I'd miss you." She bumped him lightly on the shoulder. "And I know you missed me, too."

He pretended to think. "Hmmm... I dunno 'bout that..."

She giggled again and smacked his shoulder.

He smiled and grabbed her hand. They walked into the lobby. "Are you ready for tonight?" he asked. Every year, on the same day, the hotel hosted a big ball. Over the years, it had attracted many guests.

"Of course!" She smiled.

"Good," he told her. "I've got a surprise for you."

She looked a tad doubtful. "Okay." She looked up at her parents, who were calling her. "Gotta go. See you tonight?"

He leaned down and kissed her cheek. "Duh."

~

James searched through the crowd, trying to find her. Lea. He finally spotted her, and he yelled out, "Lea!"

She turned towards him and smiled. She made her way through the crowd until she reached him. "James!"

"So, you know that surprise I told you about?" James grabbed her hands and intertwined their fingers.

Lea glanced down at their hands. "Well, by 'told you about', I'm guessing you're talking about the fact that you... told me there was one."

He laughed nervously. "Yeah. That. Look, Lea... I..." He searched for words but couldn't come up with anything, so he decided to tell her instead by leaning in. Their lips almost brushed a little, but Lea pulled away.

"James... I..." She looked bewildered, sad, and speechless, all at the same time. "I... James, you know I love you as a friend, and I might like you more as a friend, but..."

"But?" James was hurt. Why'd there have to be a "but"?

"There's someone else," Lea blurted out. "He's here. Now. For the ball." She pulled her hands away. "I... I'm sorry." She turned away and looked back as she walked away.

James stood there, rooted to the spot, as his eyes teared up a little and his heart shattered.

A guy walked up to Lea and touched her arm. She smiled, but even from a distance, James could tell it was fake. Her boyfriend didn't seem to notice, for he smiled back and swept her up into her arms, taking her onto the center of the floor and spinning her around.

James spent the rest of the night sorrowfully watching her spin around in her highest heels.

James was sure he looked just as he felt—sad, lost, lonely.

And honestly? Lea looked the same.

Which meant she felt the same.

Even if she didn't want to accept it.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)
I kinda like this, actually.
Comment? Sub?

--Kat