Status: WORKING ON IT

Meanwhile in Chicago...

Eleven

I woke that morning in a room I’ve never been in before. I woke up with someone’s arms around me and a faint snore. I moved my head and I saw Patrick. I was afraid to move. My memory was patchy. I wasn’t complaining about what position I was in, though. I looked at the clock on his night stand and it read 10 AM.

Go fucking figure.

I can never ever stay asleep past 11. I moved a little and Patrick woke up. “Go back to sleep you need sleep.” Patrick said pulling me closer.

“Patrick I have to pee. I’m busting a kidney.” I said moving a little. My legs were killing me. I walked slowly to the bathroom and something that should have took about five minutes took about ten, because my steps were so little and painful. I forgot I went ice skating yesterday. When I got out feeling kind of good. I didn’t have a headache it just hurt to walk. I got back on Kaner’s bed and he pulled me close again.

“Go back to sleep. You need sleep. You won’t get it past six.” he said closing his eyes. “Are you still drunk?”

“Hell no.” I said.

“No puking?”

“No?” I raised my eyebrow. He shifted and looked at me.

“You crazy Polack.”

“Rude.” I said looking at him.

“Alcohol breath.”

“Morning breath.” I grinned.

Then those magnets happened again. It didn’t get it. We liked each other. We would kiss, and somehow we’d fuck it up.

“What are we doing Patrick?” I pulled away looking at him as he huddled over me.

“I don’t know. All I know is that you gave everyone a heart attack last night. I was never that scared in my whole life.” he said touching my cheek.

“I’m okay. I’m always okay.” I said smiling.

“You aren’t always okay. If you were always okay you wouldn’t be crying over the stupid shit I do to you.”

“True, but I get over it eventually. I mean if I didn’t get over the first time I wouldn’t be here right now.”

“Right.” Patrick said.

“So what are we doing now, Patrick?”

“I’m gonna treat you like the Eurotrash you are. I’m gonna take you to some shit cafe, drink terrible coffee or tea, talk art, and go listen to trashy techno.” I had a fit of laughter. “No I’m kidding. I’m gonna surprise you. You free on Thursday night?” He asked me.

“Yes I am.”

“Sweet deal.” he said kissing me again. We at that for a bit, but I stopped him. I was so hungry.

“Patrick do you have any bacon I need grease to calm my stomach.” she said.

“You eat grease?”

“Only when I’m done drinking. Polish secret.” I winked at him getting up. We walked into the front room and then I saw Brent Seabrook holding Katey like teddy bear or something. “What the actual fuck.”

“What the fuck?” Patrick said looking lost.

“What the hell is she doing here.” I said meanly. “What she couldn’t sleep with you so she trying with him?”

“Lizzie...” Patrick said.

“What?”

“I called her.”

“YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKER I CAN NEVER TRUST YOU!”

“Calm the fuck down Eurotrash! I called her, because I know she is a nurse. I wasn’t trying to sleep with her! Don’t jump to conclusions so quick.”

“Oh nice to see skanky Lizzie is up!” Katey spat at me.

“Oh Verpiss dich du schmutzig schalmpe.” I spat back in German without thinking.
(Oh fuck off you dirty slut)

“Holy shit you speak....” Seabs said looking at me.

“GERMAN!” Patrick’s mouth almost dropped.

“FICK DICH!” Katey spat back at me.
(Fuck you!)

Before I knew it was an all out battle in German. One trying to wit the other one in German. I knew a lot of Germans growing up. German just clicked in my head. Katey more so had to think when she spoke in it. She also messed up verbs. I knew what she meant for the most part. I saw Patrick with his mouth dropped.

“WAS PATRICK?!” I said looking at him.

“That is the hottest thing I’ve ever seen in my life...” He said looking at me. My blood was boiling.

“DU BIST EIN SCHWANZGESICHT!” I said hitting him in the back of his head. It didn’t face him.
(You are a dickhead/dickface)

“I think Kaner is getting turned on that she is can speak German...” Seabs said.

“More German!” Patrick said.

“Patrick. Ich--- I’m gonna kill you!” I said looking at him.

“Lizzie I’m gonna take Kaner out for breakfast... You and Katey sort your shit out.” Seabs said grabbing Patrick and walking out the door. The door closed and I looked at my old best friend.

“What happened to us?” Katey said in English.

“You got into something I could have fixed myself.” I said.

“You couldn’t fix Kaner and you. You needed help.’ Katey said to me.

“WRONG! I didn’t need help. I’m a big girl I can deal with things by myself. I’m not a baby anymore. I know you spent almost three years protecting me from guys, because---”

“Because out of nowhere you changed into some pretty girl who didn’t know how to deal with guys chasing you. Lizzie you don’t realise how much damage you can do to guys with the way you dress, your smile, everything you do. You aren’t like everyone. That is what makes you so appealing to everyone. You also don’t look a damn thing like an American. I have to protect you like you are my little sister, because that is what you are like to me in the long run.”

“I could have handled him myself.”

“Wrong. Patrick was gonna eat you alive. Look at you Elizabeth. Look at what happened to you. You almost killed yourself, because Patrick said something to you! You never drink that much. I know you are like immune to being hungover with headaches, but you aren’t immune to twenty something shots!”

“I wasn’t intentionally trying to kill myself... I just lost count of how many I had.” I said.

“Yeah and if someone wasn’t there that Patrick knew something bad could have happened to you! Why don’t you see the danger in what you did?! You could have blacked out somewhere. Someone could have done something to you! You can’t be this naive about this whole thing.”

She got me.

“Explain to me something though, what business did you have showing up in Chicago trying to fix stuff for me, then we fight and you come over her to know god damn what with him. If you cared about me so much why would you try and sleep with the one person you know that I like?”

“You pissed me off. He started it.” Katey said to me.

“SO YOU GO AND TRY AND SLEEP WITH HIM? THAT MAKE SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE!” I said getting angry.

“You love him don’t you!”

“NO!” I said.

“You love him! You fell in love with Patrick Kane, and so that is why you are so upset. Something in that scumbag mad you fall in love with him. He treats you like shit, but you still follow him around like a puppy dog! It explains everything. You are never ever like this about guys. You dump them the first chance you get, but with Patrick you won’t let it go. It isn’t the money or the fame or anything. You fell in love with someone you were just suppose to meet as a joke. It is all completely obvious now! Damn Elizabeth Czech you know how to pick them let me tell you.”

“This all scares me.” I said quietly.

“You do love him, and you afraid he will never love you back...”

“He’ll never love me. It is Patrick Kane...” I said realising the sad reality I was in.

Then I couldn’t take it anymore. My eyes were burning. I just started to cry... Again.

“Katey I’m sorry I’m such a twat.” I said running to my best friend and hugging her. “I’m just scared and I don’t know what to do anymore. My stomach feels funny and my heart feels mushy. I don’t know what the hell what is going anymore. A week ago all my brain could think about was figure skating competitions and now brain is just focus on him.”

Cue best friend crying together.

“We’ll get this all sorted out. Okay?” My best friend said to me. I nodded my head and just held onto my best friend for dear life. I had a fear of falling in love since I was little. I watched a family break apart, because love wasn’t enough anymore. I watch my life dramatically change from happy to miserable. I never wanted that again.

Then I found Patrick, and that girl who saw her family get destroyed by the very thing that was suppose to bring happiness to everything, lost her mind.

“So about Brent...” I said looking at my best friend.

“Shut up Czech.” Katey still holding on to me tightly. We had our cry and then the door opened again.

“Oh god both of them are crying.” Patrick said. I glared at him and wiped my eyes. I let go of my best friend and I went over to Patrick in the biggest pain the world.

“Your reek of alcohol.” he said picking me up. He always picks me up why?

“You smell like ass.” I said.

“Ouch.” Brent said looking at us.

“Patrick I’m stealing my best friend away for the day. We are going shopping.” Katey said.

“You can’t expect her to walk the whole day? She could barely walk to me.” He said kind of worried.

“I can tough it out. It is shopping Patrick. I always have energy for shopping.” I said.

“How is your arm?” Patrick asked grabbing it lightly and looking at it. We both looked at it and it was red and had a bruise on it.

“I’ll be okay. It just might just not be pretty. I’ll see you later okay?” I said to him.

“Yup.” he said kissing my cheek and handing me my keys. I grinned and he set me down. Katey said by to Brent and we were off to my house, and then shopping.

We walked down the crowded street of Chicago shopping and Katey wouldn’t stop laughing at me.

“What?” I asked her.

“You walk around like you own this town. It is funny.” She said. I just laughed and smiled. I spent over three hundred dollars on clothes I probably already had. I loved shopping.

That night Patrick called me to come over, and I dicthed Katey needless to say... It was okay though Brent wanted to see her.

I changed before I went to go see Patrick. I wore something simple tonight. I wasn’t in the mood for a dress and shoes that hurt my feet. So I just simply wore a tank top from H&M and jeans with my hair braided. I was tempted to wear gym shoes, but I couldn’t allow myself to do such things.

I knocked on the door to Patrick’s condo that night, and had a huge smile on my face. I was happy things were finally working out for me. He opened the door and smiled at me.

That smiled was driving me crazy. He was driving me crazy.

“You are wearing jeans” Patrick said shocked looking at me. I just laughed.

“I own jeans?” I asked him.

“But you never wear them. You are always in dresses and short shorts. You look shorter in jeans." I just rolled my eyes and walked in. “And your hair isn’t down. It is nice to know that my gir---- you look good no matter what you do.” he said closing the door.

“Girlfriend?” I said looking at him confused.

“I didn’t mean for that to slip.... It is just I---”

“--- you want me as your girlfriend?”

“Yeah I’m trying to fix whatever I did to make you unhappy so I can have that.” he said.

“Patrick Kane wants a girlfriend...” I said without thinking. I was in a different world right now. We sat on the couch and we were just staring at each other.

“I want to fix this, because I’m serious when I say that. I don’t want to play games anymore. I hate playing games. You get little satisfaction in life knowing you had a one night stand. Then somehow you came into my life, and there was nothing more I wanted to just be by you all the time. You don’t get my life, and I don’t get yours. I don’t get how a girl like you lives in Chicago. How you never been out of Chicago. It isn’t your clothes or even those little dimples that show when you smile that drive me crazy. It is your personality that makes this all amazing.” We moved in closer. So close to kissing...

“You really want this don’t you?”

“I’m trying my best to make this work. I won’t half ass this.” Patrick said kissing me.

Oh I can get use to this...