Status: WORKING ON IT

Meanwhile in Chicago...

Thirteen

Things were going smoothly for me right now. I was complaining about anything. I was trying to help Katey as much as I could, but my life was getting in the way of even Patrick. Before Patrick and shopping there wad figure skating. It was kind of my job to win competitions and make money while doing so. The goal in life was to make the Olympics one day, and that is what path I was on. The promise of me being twenty-three and going to the Olympics was really strong. People were waiting for my next move, and the more I won the better the chances of me getting that sport on Team USA in Sochi. I wanted nothing more than that spot.

Patrick understood my schedule of almost eight hours in a ice rink for three days straight, and he also understood how something can consume your mind like winning something big. It is where we clicked amazingly. He never bothered me when it was practice time. This is where having an athlete for a boyfriend was nice. They understood these things.

Patrick was the one that took me to the competition that blazing hot August day. It was boiling, and we were off to a rink to freeze our ass off. Patrick seemed uneasy the whole ride there.

“What’s wrong? Patrick I’m suppose to be the nervous one.” I said as we were driving down I-355.

“People never see us around each other. Lizzie understand people swarm around me at----”

“I understand. I know I won’t get off easy with you all the time.” I grinned at him.

“I’m gonna get so much shit for dating a figure skater. HOCKEY PLAYER FIGURE SKATER AW SO CUTE THEY LOVE ICE SKATES!” Patrick said getting obnoxious. I couldn’t stop laughing uncontrollably. The ride to the ice rink in the suburbs was nice. I even knew how to get there without directions. “You nervous?” he asked me as we got closer.

“Excited.” I said. “I can land a quad now.” I said smiling.

“Oh Jesus.” Patrick said.

“Don’t worry I won’t be like that stupid Russian and cry because someone that didn’t do a quad won over me.”

“Awarded the platinum medal. I have one of those.” Patrick joked.

“That is a silver babe.” I said grinned.

“Ouch.” Patrick faked hurt.

“Don’t worry Patrick I wanted to die too.”

“Awww so you really do care about Team USA and not some team like the Slovaks or better yet the Russians...” He said with squinty eyes.

“Hey now! Just because I’m eurotrash doesn’t mean I don’t bleed red, white, and blue. I’m an American who loves Europeans. I support the USA in everything. That is my home.”

“So your chances for the Olympics are pretty good then?” he asked me.

“Yeah that is what I’ve been told.” I said.

“We’ll I’ll see you in Sochi then.” Patrick smiled as we got off at our exit.

“I’m gonna go to Sochi even if I am just gonna be a spectator. I want to see the Olympics fist hand. I want to see Russia too.”

“They have pretty girls there?” Patrick said unsure of what to say.

“If you are gonna date a Pole, Patrick Kane remember one thing. Poles are prettier. Russians are fake pretty with their Western society plastic surgery. Real girls come from Poland.” I said.

“Some tension there with the Russians there for ya Lizzie?”

“I’m Polish and spent my whole life with people from Poland. Old Polish people HATE Russians. It is like Americans and Russians. American can’t stand the commie bastards.”

“Oh that Polish fury in your is adorable.”

“Don’t cross me, Kane. You’ll lose.”

“Wasn’t planning on it.”

“Besides Patrick you are in Chicago. It the most Polish people in a city that isn’t in Poland. We aren’t all pretty here without a reason.” I grinned. “Turn right here.” I said as we got to the intersection we needed to be at.

“Have you skated here before?”

“Yes, it has the best ice in the world. You know how there is ice that like you fall on it and you don’t move when you fall and it feels more like cement than ice? Well here is like perfect. You fall an it doesn’t hurt that much and you go sliding. It is the perfect ice in the world. I don’t think it gets any better than this. No joke.”

“The scary thing is I know what you mean.” Patrick said.

“See this boyfriend girlfriend thing is gonna work. You understand ice isn’t just ice.” I laughed.

“Eurotrash, I think if we are gonna base our relationship on how we know the difference in ice we have huge problems.” We collectively laughed and he saw the rink and turned to get into parking lot. Patrick parked his SUV and turned off the car and sat there for a second.

“You dont’t have to go in if you don’t want to...” I said opening the mirror on the sun visor to check my hair. It was in a beyond tight bun, and hair sprayed so much my hair wasn’t gonna move ever. It was gonna be a bitch to wash all this hairspray out.

“No I’m gonna go in it is just sometimes I don’t like being Patrick Kane especially at an ice rink.” Patrick said.

“I understand... I think.” I said looking at him. “I’m trying to at least.”

“That is all that matters is that you try and understand. I’m not asking you too understand, just try okay?” Patrick said giving me a quick kiss and we got out of the car. When we got out of the car he grabbed my hand almost right away and we walked into that rink together. I went to sign in, and Patrick was right behind me.

“Was he in the schedule?” Someone asked at the front desk.

“No. He is my boyfriend.” I said. That sounded weird, but hey we have to all get use to it I guess.

“Oh okay.” The person said. Once I was signed in we went to the back where all the skaters were getting ready and I looked at what time I was skating. It was already 10 AM and I skated at like 12, and the thing ended at four. This was gonna interesting, mostly because when I dropped my stuff off in the rooms where the skaters were I saw news vans. FUCK MY LIFE.

“Patrick...” I said looking at him.

“Yeah?” he said looking at me. I pointed out the window.

“S’all good. Don’t worry.” Patrick said. We walked into the rink part to watch people skate, and my nerves where starting and I didn’t know why. I never ever get nervous this early. Then I realised what it was... It was Patrick and I being there.

I understood that when I first met him and we went to Navy Pier people were gonna stare. They knew who he was and they knew he was ‘famous’. Except this time in a ice rink, which is a haven for skaters and hockey player alike. You go into an ice rink with Patrick Kane, you around people that love him and respect him. It wasn’t the same a street in Chicago. I didn’t know how to deal with this anxiety. I was playing with my fingers and trying to calm down. I’m trying my hardest to make this work.

“Patrick I’ll be right back.” I said getting up quickly and dialling Katey’s number.

“Hello?” Oh fuck she sounded terrible.

“Katey get your ass here please. I’m freaking out. I can’t deal with this. I don’t like this whole girlfriend thing. I don’t like how people are staring at me. I know they are thinking terrible things about me. I can---”

“Lizzie calm down! You are gonna be okay. I’ll be there in a few hours okay? You best be paying for that cab.”

“I’ll pay you back don’t worry.” I said. “Thank you Katey. We’ll get Brent back don’t worry I have been planning.”

“Whenever you plan you always seem to be a genius...”

“‘Cos I’m Polish.”

“Okay shut up Polack and go figure skate.”

“Rude.”

“Bye Lizzie.” I could see my best friend friend rolling her eyes and hanging up on me. I walked back into the lobby and I saw Patrick getting mobbed by people asking him to sign stuff. It wasn’t uncommon for people to wear Hawks stuff in an ice rink. It was normal rink attire. He was really good with this stuff, and to me all of this was uncomfortable.

“Excuse me Miss?” I heard someone say. I turned around and it was news person. Ugh public speaking was never really my thing.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Would you like to talk to us for the news?” She asked me.

“Sure.” I smiled looking back at Patrick who gave me a quick smile. I was interviewed about the thing, and then came the golden question.

“Do you have any idea why Patrick Kane is here?” She asked. I was uneasy. My hands were getting sweaty and I was uncomfortable.

“Yeah, He is my friend. He was in town, and he wanted to come out and see me I guess.” I let out a laugh.

Yeah Elizabeth just a friend you kiss, will probably end up sleeping with one of these days, and you are in love with.

Fuck off brain.


They asked me a few more things and then I walked over to Patrick and he just smiled. He signed a few more things and we went back where no one can bother us, but first people wanted an interview with Patrick Kane. They were talking and Patrick, and in the middle of it all he pulled in by the waist, and that’s when I felt the eyes on me. We got done and it was time for me to skate. I got changed for my routine and when I walked out I need Patrick to zip the stuff in the back. He took his time, and I just squirmed when I felt his cold hands touch my bare skin.

“These things are so damn complicated.” Patrick said zipping things and buttoning things for me. I just laughed.

“Hockey equipment is just confusing and stinky.”

“Touché” Patrick said getting the last one. I jumped a round a bit and stretched out to ease up. I took a deep breath, and put on my figure skates. As I put my tights over my boots, and buckled them I looked up and saw Patrick just staring at me.

“What?” I asked him.

“Uh.... You look amazing in figure skating stuff. Like what figure skater can uh... Fill out a top of----” I got up and slapped him.

“PERV!” I said.

“It is compliment! I mean what figure skate do you know that has a nice rack like that? Everyone has bug bite tits and an ass. You have big boobs, a decent ass, and long ass legs.”

“Oh P. Kane. What am I gonna do with you...” I said shaking my head.

“Obviously just take the compliment that you are the best built figure skater I’ve ever laid eyes on.”

“Perv.” I rolled my eyes. There was nothing else I could do.

He kissed me quickly because it was time to go. “Good luck.” he said.

“Thanks.” I said smiling.

We walked out waiting for instructions and I was looking for Katey she wasn’t here yet.

“Hey Patrick.” I said we were waiting for me to get on the ice.

“What?” He said looking at me.

“Wait and see how flexible I am.” I said winking and getting on the ice.

Two can play at that game Patrick Kane.

I skated around the ice to get the feel of it all and I stopped in the sport I was suppose to be in. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and got in position. When I heard the music start I started to skate along and doing the simple elements of my routine. It was the best I was skating in what seemed like months. I was coming perfect at what I was doing, and nothing was stopping me. Then came the biggest thing...

4-3-3 or for the non ice skating type quad, triple, triple.

Landing a quad wasn’t an easy thing to do. Plushenko could barely even do them. I was no Evgeni Plushenko. I got ready in my stance of it and just held my breath as I jumped and spun around. When I landed on my foot and didn’t fall I felt like a million dollars. This was better than Patrick staring at me and that grin... Oh that grin.

Oh right ice skating...

I landed my triple axle and my triple toe and the rest was easy as pie. This is where flexible comes in. I wouldn’t be lying if I said was showing off how far my leg can be stretched, because Patrick was there. I'm such a little tease.

When it was over I had my hands up and breathing heavily.

Fuck yeah.

I got off the ice and waiting for my score. When I got a personal best I wasn’t complaining. After everything was done, I found Patrick. I tapped him on the shoulder and he smiled at me.

“That was awesome.” he said kissing me. KISSING IN PUBLIC FREAKING OUT.

“Thank you I try.”

“Sochi is calling your name.” Patrick said.

“Yeah yeah.” I rolled my eyes. “Right now I’m concentrated on winning the first place here today, because that is twenty-five thousand dollars I don’t have.” I said to him.

“What do you with that money.” He asked me.

“I’m moving.” Patrick’s face dropped with that moving part.

“Moving to where?”

“The Gold Coast. Where else would I move too?” I asked him.

“The Near North Side closer to me?” He said.

“Are you buying me a condo then? I don’t have a million dollars to blow on a condo.” I said looking at him.

“How much do you have to blow on a condo?”

“Well let’s see my house just got sold for 350k. It was paid off, it was in the family for a long time. So I got that money for a condo, and then if I win this I got 375. So yeah... “ I said.

“I guess I can deal with picking you up on the Gold Coast.” he said.

“It is like a mile away I think you can take a four minute car ride.”

The rest of the day was Patrick and I just hanging out and talking, and it was actually really nice. Katey got their finally after they were announcing the winners. I obviously won first.

“I’M MOVING TO THE GOLD COAST BITCHES!” I jumped on Katey when I saw her.

“Oh Jesus.” Patrick said.

“What?” Katey said.

“I’m gonna move out of my house and to the Gold Coast. I want to live closer to the city.”

“Oh fun.” Katey said.

“Fo sho.” I said.

“So you gonna explain that plan to me?” Katey asked me as I hopped down.

“Oh right the plan....” I grinned.