Status: complete.

Roots and Wings

Sinews of the Heart

The air smelled of gunpowder and smoke. There was something else floating between Noelle’s nostrils, something much more potent. She inhaled deeply, her senses not yet as strong as they would be. But even weak she could detect the stench of death. Of blood.

It was then that Noelle cursed herself for wandering so far away from home. It was then that she realized she should’ve stayed safe, stayed with her family. She ran. She lifted her heavy feet and surged forward, praying she would make it before it was too late.

Smoke lilted above the trees she had surrounded herself in. The stench of burnt flesh seared her nostrils. Her village; her home was burning to the ground. Wide eyes took in the surroundings, seeking any movement. Then there was that familiar growl. Daddy.

If she could’ve made herself move just a moment sooner she would’ve made it to him in time. She could’ve saved him. The gunshot echoed through her ears; the sound of her father’s grunt as he shifted to his human form, and the smack of dead flesh hitting stone erupted the worst sound possible from her throat.

A single scream. A scream of denial that could’ve cost her everything. Until she came.

Wild and beautiful, the female appeared out of nowhere. She moved faster than Noelle’s young eyes could keep up. Blood spattered the air, painting Noelle’s skin and staining her clothing. When there was nothing left but the torn bodies of her families’ murderers, the female turned to Noelle and smiled. She was devastatingly beautiful, her skin pale as a ghosts.

The answer was evident. She was nothing ordinary. She was a demon. A demon with eyes the color of death, and teeth sharp as knives. As the demon approached her Noelle shuddered, but refused to move. If this were the death she would receive she would gladly accept it.

“Don’t worry little one. You’ll pay me back soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooooh yes. It is what you think it is. Super FUCKING AWESOME HELL YESSS.