Status: complete.

Roots and Wings

Like A Circus

One step at a time and go on. One miss and you’re done.

Sometimes, Noelle felt as if the tightrope she was walking on would break any second.

pantherhumanchoicewandererkillergirlsheepchoiceschoices
whatwillyoubetoday?


And no safety net would be there to catch her. No safety net to break her fall. No second chances.

One step at a time and hope for the best.

But Noelle didn’t hope. She made sure she took the right steps. Made sure everything went the right way. Katherine wasn’t what she would call the most gentlest of ring master’s and she couldn’t afford to make a mistake. Not if she wanted to live another day. Especially in matters concerning the Salvatore brothers.

“I hear rocky road is the best flavor of ice cream around.”

Schooling her features into a look of indifference, while smiling inwardly, Noelle briefly stopped scanning the rows of ice cream on display before looking back over her shoulder. Green eyes met cool blue ones and the world wilted and sighed and noyesno-ed just a little.

She let a small smirk flicker across her face at the comment before turning back around and resumed browsing the shelf. "Whoever you heard that from is wrong." Noelle voiced over her shoulder as she reached into the freezer and pulled out a small carton container. "There is nothing better than coffee flavored ice cream to get you going all day long." She settled the ice cream on her shopping cart before turning back toward him, giving him her full attention.

With hands tucked inside his very obvious black designer jeans, he leaned against the aisle shelf looking like he had all the time in the world. Considering what he is, of course he does. Noelle thought ironically. Black leather jacket and black shirt contrasted sharply with the bright cheerful cereal boxes that lined up the shelf and that 'I ate the canary and I liked it' smirk of his that permanently adorned his face, only managed to increase his devil may care attitude. In other words — Yum.

"Let me guess — coffee junkie?" Silky smooth and impossibly dangerous, his voice washed over her like fine velvet and Noelle resisted the urge to shiver. Now she knew what Katherine was talking about when she called him 'the dangerous one.'

Instead, she let out a small laugh before shaking her head, sending long dark curls flying all over. "Is it that obvious?"

"Call it instinct," he shrugged, before standing up straight and offering her what he passed for a smile, 'I'm Damon.'

And she resisted from doing a cartwheel because careful, the tightrope might break, but hello - It looked like she would be living another day.

She nodded before offering him a smile of her own. "I'm Noelle." Showtime. "Wait..." She stepped forward, bringing her closer to him, green eyes roving over every strong feature of his face intently. "Salvatore? You mean as in Damon Salvatore?"

His eyes darkened and closed off as his smile slowly turned into a tight smile. "I'm sorry?"

"I've seen you before. I'm sure of it." She dropped her eyes for a second to dig around her purse for her wallet. With a triumphant smile, she pulled it out before opening it and taking out an old small picture that except for the faded-with-time random spot here and there, looked to be in perfect condition. She handed it over to him, watching closely as he took it with careful hands. "The one next to Stefan - that's you, isn't it?"

His mouth tightened into a straight line as he took in the old-fashioned clothed forms with dark eyes before looking up at her with suspicious eyes. "You know Stefan?"

"Tall, dark, and brooding? Uh-huh. Met him when I moved into my old home, years ago. He was my neighbor at the time and after an incident that's way too embarrassing to tell, we quickly became friends. We parted ways a couple of months ago. He said something about moving to a place called .'Majestic Falls' or something like that and I got a promotion from work to move here." She explained animately, smiling widely all the while.

"And he gave you this?" He asked skeptically, holding up the picture between two fingers, suspicion still clouding his eyes.

"Yep. I asked him for a picture for memories and after much nagging from my part, he finally gave me this one. Kinda weird you know? The whole old-fashioned clothes and all — no offense. When I asked him about it he said it was of him and his brother dressed for a costume party and something about not finding the point of taking pictures anymore. Who understands that guy anyways." She replied, carefully ignoring his suspicion for the moment, before holding her hand out for the picture.

"Yeah. Who does." Hesitating for a second, he finally dropped the picture in her palm before crossing his arms and studying her carefully as Noelle placed the picture back into its place before returning it to the confines of her purse.

She looked up at him once she was done, only to find a smirk and something in his eyes that did not quite settle with her, looking back at her.

"Well, Noelle. It's a pleasure to meet you. Any friend of Stefan is a friend of mine."

"That's good to know." She smiled pleasantly, before looking down at her watch. "Shoot. It's getting late. And I really need to go start dinner if I'm planning not to starve tonight."

"Really? Are you sure I can't keep you for a few more moments?" He smirked, voice deep and hypnotizing, as he took a closer step toward her and if she was any other person, she would not have hesitated for a second to stay with him. But she wasn't and she stifled a giggle at his obvious use of compulsion.

Oh, silly, silly boy. Didn't he know that Noelle was one canary he wouldn't eat any time soon? This time, she would be doing the pleasure. He wouldn't even now what hit him.

"I'm sorry but I must be really going now. It was nice to meet you, Damon." Smiling one last time at him, she turned on her heel and made her way to the check-out line, leaving a confused and slightly frustrated vampire behind.

And minutes later by the obvious tone of his voice, as he used compulsion on a poor girl, that reached her keen ears as she placed the groceries at the checkout, it looked like he didn't want to starve either.

Dinner time.
♠ ♠ ♠
...sorry? i know, i know. bad bad me for not updating sooner. i'm really sorry about it, so i made the chapter extra long and you know - awesome... i think. hope you enjoyed. drop us a line 'cause comments make billie and me crazy. XD