Status: Up and Running

Living Life in a Downward Spiral

Chapter 18

Image

I was sitting on my bed, just staring at the wall, when there was a knock at my door. Mom poked her head in, glancing over at me. "Hey, you," she said softly, walking in. I didn't mind her coming in, it was the person behind her that mad me upset.

"Why are you still here?" I asked, a bit of venom in my voice as I glared at him.

"I'm still your father, Stef, whether you like it or not."

I laughed sarcastically. "Could have fooled me."

"We didn't come up here for you two to fight," Mom said, sending him a glare. I didn't really feel like calling him Daddy Dearest right now. So we'll just settle with him. "We came up to check on you." She turned to face me with a worried expression.

"I take it Sarah explained everything," I sighed, leaning back against my head board.

Mom nodded, sitting on the edge of my bed. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I looked down at my hands. "Not really."

"It might help."

I scoffed. "No, it won't."

Mom sighed. "How's your leg?"

"Fine," I mumbled, pulling the blankets up even further over my legs.

"Stef, we don't want it to get infected," Mom said softly.

"I don't want you to make a big deal out of it," I sighed, knowing she would.

She looked at me with wide eyes. "He burned your leg with a cigarette, Stef! I'm pretty sure that's something to make a big deal over."

"Who did what?!" He shouted. I sent him a glare as Mom explained. "And you didn't think to tell the police, why?"

I looked down at my hands in my lap. "Because they wouldn't have done anything. They would have taken his side."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I do! His father is a really powerful guy, and would make sure that his son was the victim and not me!"

"Well I'm a powerful guy, too! That prick isn't going to get away with this."

I shook my head, looking up at him. "You know, the way you're acting right now really seems like you care about your family." I stood up, getting close to him. "But we all know that it's just an act. So you can give it up and go back to your whore now." With that, I walked out of the door and back down stairs.

Uncle Johnny and Aunt Lacey were still here. They were sitting in the kitchen when I walked in. "Hey, Stef," Uncle Johnny said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders when I stood by him. I lay my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his waist. "You okay?" He asked softly, kissing the top of my head. I just nodded.

"You should really get that covered up, Sweetie," Aunt Lacey said, frowning at the burn on my thigh. "I'll go get the First Aide kit."

"Is your dad and mom still upstairs?" Uncle Johnny asked.

"He's not my dad," I mumbled.

He sighed. "Stef, I know things are-"

I pulled away from him, shaking my head. "Please don't start lecturing me. I really don't need it." I walked out back and sat on one of the lounge chairs.

"Here we go," Aunt Lacey said, coming out with the kit.

I frowned down at it, not liking the idea of Peroxide coming anywhere near me. "Is Uncle Jimmy busy?" I asked softly.

I know I'm a bit old to want someone to hold my hand during this crap, but I don't care. I really wanted one of my uncles right now. But, Uncle Matt and Uncle Brian were dealing with Sarah and Greg. Then, Uncle Johnny was trying to lecture me. I won't even mention him... I just want Uncle Jimmy.

"I can go get him," she said softly, seeing that look in my eyes.

About ten minutes later, she walked back out with Uncle Jimmy. "Hey, you," he said, smiling softly. "Come here." He pulled me up and sat down, before sitting me in his lap. He kept talking to me, keeping my mind distracted as Aunt Lacey did what she had to. "See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He asked, running his fingers through my hair.

Suddenly, there was a crash from upstairs, then yelling following it. Aunt Lacey sighed, shaking her head. Out of nowhere, anger rose in me. I was tired of this shit.

I walked up the stairs, finding Mom and him screaming at each other in the hall. "Would you stop?!" I yelled above both of them. I walked between them, standing in front of Mom, protecting her. "Can you just leave?! For good, now. All you do is create shit and bigger problems than what they already are. I'm tired of your shit! You're just ripping this family apart even more! Can't you see what you're doing to Mom? Can't you see what you're doing to me?!" I shook my head. "Go screw some one else's family up for a change. You're time's up here." I took Mom's hand and walked her back to my room, slamming and locking my door behind us.

I felt bad for her. Yeah, us kids were in the middle of the divorce, but she was hurting too. While we were losing our dad, she was losing her love. I know she's been trying to stay strong for me, but I want to be strong for her too.

Most of all, I just want all of the fighting to stop.

*Zacky's P.O.V.*

I don't know what was worse, getting told off by my own daughter, or getting told off by my best friend.

"You're a fucking idiot, Zack! Do you not get that?!" Jimmy continued to yell at me. "Do you really not see how much damage you have put on the two of them, when Stef has enough to deal with already?" He shook his head. "I really hope you pull your head out of your ass soon. Because this isn't the Zacky we all know, this isn't my best friend." He went to walk away, but stopped. "You know, it's pretty sad when you're daughter comes to me for comfort when she needs someone. Doesn't that say anything to you?"

It did. Loud and clear. But the asshole part of me was telling me to ignore it.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
So, she finally steps up to Zacky.

Okay, I totally am distracted with a book I'm reading right now. I finally got it like two days ago and have not put it down! For any of you who are interested, it's Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries. It's an intense book. If you want something that scares the shit out of you, or blows your mind away, read it :] It's an amazing book. And I'm not even half way through with it!

Alright, random moment over...

I hope you guys had a fun and safe Halloween! :)