Status: Up and Running

Living Life in a Downward Spiral

Chapter 2

"Hey, Uncle Brian." I said softly.

He grabbed my shoulders, making me look at him. "What possessed you to do that?"

"Do what?" Fear coursed through my veins. Had they figured it out?

"Go off into the woods by yourself! Do you not realize how dangerous that was?!"

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, looking at the ground.

He brought me into his arms and held me tight. "Just don't do it again, ok?"

"I won't." I said, loving his warm embrace. I didn't get many of those lately... Especially from Dad.

"Guys, she's fine." He said as we walked into the cabin.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Dad yelled, being the first to get to me.

"Zack, we already went over it. It's ok now." Uncle Brian said, keeping his arm around my shoulders.

"I'm pretty sure I'm still the parent here, Brian." Dad snapped.

"Zack." Mom stepped in, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Dad." I mumbled, wrapping my arms around my waist.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Do you know how worried we were?"

"I just went for a walk. I didn't think it was that big of a deal."

"We're still in the middle of the woods, Stefanie. I don't care how many times you've been here, you're still not allowed to go off on your own, and you know that!"

"I'm sorry." I whispered, keeping my eyes on the floor. Why was he blowing this so out of proportion?

"I don't know what to do anymore, Stef. You're always going off somewhere without telling someone." He sighed, shaking his head. "You're grounded for the rest of vacation."

My head snapped up. "But I was supposed to go with Deen to get him settled in before school."

"Well, now you're not. Also, no phone, computer, or iPod."

"I don't care if you take my phone, because I have no one to talk to and the computer can wait, but don't take my music away." I said, pleading with him.

"Now, Stefanie Anna. I'm still your father and what I say goes." He said, starting to lose his patience. I shook my head, throwing my phone and iPod down on the table, before heading for the stairs. "And if you don't get rid of the attitude, you can just stay in your room for the rest of the trip!" He called after me.

I might just be doing that...

*Deen's P.O.V.*

"Was that really necessary?" I asked Dad as soon as Stef was out of ear shot.

"Don't start with me, Deen. I make the rules, not you." Dad said, picking up Stef's iPod and phone.

"You know she isn't a bad kid. She just wanted some peace and quiet." I said, following after him as he walked away.

"She still knows not to go off on her own without telling anyone."

"She's almost eighteen, Dad."

"Exactly, and she should know how to start acting like a responsible adult."

Dad had always been a bit more strict with Stef because she had always been the youngest, until the twins were born. They also watched her like a hawk, thanks to my mistakes. So she had no room to mess up.

I shook my head at my father, before going to check on Stef. I had always been close to my sister. Even when my life started getting more busy thanks to friends, school and other things, I still tried to watch out for her.

"Stef?" I knocked softly on her door.

"Not now, Deen." I heard her mumble.

"Come on, Stef. I won't say anything. I'll just sit there looking at you like some weird creeper."

I heard shuffling before the door opened. She had a small smile. "Like you usually do?"

"Yup." I smiled, ruffling her hair. She walked back over to the bed, as I shut the door behind me. I lay on the bed next to her and we sat in silence.

"What am I going to do without you?" She suddenly said, wrapping her arms around me and burring her face into my chest.

"Hey, now. None of that. I thought we already talked about this."

She just sniffled, shaking her head. "It's going to be so much worse, Dee. You're the star child, and I'm just... There."

"Stefanie Anna, that is not true."

"Yes it is!" She said, sitting up. "You're the perfect son. You got the good grades, you did the sports, and you even play guitar. All just like Dad. And me?" She shrugged. "I've tried. The only thing that I have in common as him is that I love music and I play Soft Ball. I don't play any instruments. I'm not a genius. I'm not even close to being a girlie girl like Mom. I swear, I was hatched out of an egg as I baby." She stood up and walked over to the window. "I just don't belong here."

I stood up and walked over to her, putting my hand on her lower back. "Stef..." She just shrugged me off and stepped closer to the window.

"Tell them I won't be down for dinner." She said softly, keeping her eyes locked on the window.

I knew that she wasn't going to talk after that. So it was pointless to stay there with her. She liked her alone time to think over things. I just hated leaving her alone.

When I got back down stairs, I glared at my father. "What now?" He asked, sighing.

"I just hope you're happy. You're daughter thinks she doesn't fit in with her own family." I said, before walking off.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's going to switch P.O.V.'s every so often, but it will mostly be in Stefanie or Deen's.