Status: Up and Running

Living Life in a Downward Spiral

Chapter 4

*Zacky's P.O.V.*

We all heard a noise coming from the stairs, before we heard Katy yelling Stefanie's name. Deen was the first one there, with the rest of us following.

She was laying at the bottom of the stairs, unconscious. "Stef." Deen said, pulling her head into his lap as he gently shook her.

I kneeled down next to him and looked her over. Nothing seemed to be broken or hurt. She would just be a little soar when she woke up. "Give her to me." I said, picking her up and taking her up to her room. I lay her down on the bed, as Gena came over to the other side and pulled her blankets over her.

"Do you think we should take her to the doctors?" She asked, stroking Stef's hair.

"Let's give her a little bit. If she doesn't wake up in the next hour or so, we'll take her in." I made sure she was tucked in just like I used to when she was younger, before we walked out.

Down stairs, Katy was in Johnny's arms, her face buried in his neck. "Do you know what happened, Baby?" He asked her, rubbing small circles in her back.

"No. She just got a funny face, before she shook her head. Then a few seconds later, she just fell." Her small voice held so much confusion. She loved and constantly looked up to Stef.

"Maybe she fainted?" Sarah said. She seemed like she knew something...

"What would make you think that, Sweetie?" Val asked, running her fingers through her daughters hair.

She shrugged. "I don't know. She just didn't eat lunch earlier. Just a suggestion."

Gena sighed, rubbing her temples. "I hope she's ok."

I pulled her into my arms, kissing her forehead. "She'll be fine. She's gone through worse." Kaly just glared at me, before scoffing and walking off. "What did I say?" I asked, confused.

"Insensitive much, Uncle Zacky?" Sarah said, before following after Kaly.

"That was pretty harsh." Greg said, agreeing with the girls, as he walked in the same direction.

I looked over at Deen. "What input do you have?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. He just shook his head.

"You know my input."

I looked down at the twins. "Well, looks like it's just you two left." I said, giving them a small smile. They both looked at me, before running off. "Ok, what the hell is going on?" I asked, looking at the remaining adults. "Why are all the kids pissed off at me?"

"Zack, have you really noticed the way you've been talking and acting towards Stef lately?" Jimmy said, giving me a look like he wasn't messing around.

"What have I been doing other than being her father?"

"Well, it seems like you're being a bit harsh towards her." Lacey spoke up. "She looked like she was about ready to cry yesterday when you were yelling at her for nothing."

"She went off on her own, Lace. She knows the rules."

"But did you have to be that hard on her? The poor girl has had a rough enough year. The reason we all came out here for the summer was to give her an escape." Leana said.

What? Was it 'Let's gang up on Zacky Day?'

"That doesn't mean that the rules still don't apply."

"What is it with you and the God damn rules?" Jimmy suddenly burst. "She's a fucking saint compared to us when we were her age! Did you really ever listen to the rules your parents set, Zack? I think not. So stop being such a fucking hypocrite."

"I'm the reason why I put those rules up for her! Yes, she hasn't done anything. Good! I want to keep it that way."

"But you aren't going in the right direction with it." Michelle said. Damn, what is it with the Mom's being the only ones, aside from Jimmy, ganging up on me? Shit, Women...

"Zack, I wasn't going to say anything, but earlier when you were playing with the kids and Stef came down, you didn't see her face." Matt said. "She looked so hurt. I thought it was just something else, but when I saw her about to head back for the stairs, that's when I picked her up and brought her to the kitchen." He sighed. "I don't like seeing my niece like this, Zack."

"What's your point, Matt?" I snapped.

"My point is, if I see that look on her face again, I'm going to kick your ass for not catching on sooner." He walked away, signaling that he was done talking to me for the time being.

Well, everyone pretty much left after that, even Gena.

Guess I'm in the dog house...