Keep Holding On

1/1

There’s a moment where Quinn is frozen. She can’t move, she can’t breathe, she can’t think. Coach Sylvester is talking, but all Quinn can hear is “pregnant”. She knows what this means. As much as she hates to admit it, Man Hands was right. Quinn knows it won’t be long before she has to turn in the uniform, and Glee will be all she has left.

It was Rachel’s idea to sing the group song. “I think it will be beneficiary for us to sing something to show our support for Quinn and Finn.” She tells Mr. Schue, the tone in her voice making it apparent she won’t take no for an answer. When Schuester agrees, Rachel turns and smiles warmly at not Finn, but Quinn. Rachel immediately starts discussing costuming ideas with Tina, and Quinn wonders what Rachel is up to, because there’s no way she can be doing this out of the goodness of her heart.

As they sing, Quinn can’t help but start to cry. Everyone is far too kind, far too sweet to her. Quinn can tell that they mean every word they’re singing. Keep holding on. Whenever Quinn makes eye contact with Rachel, Rachel smiles genuinely and warmly. Quinn tries to ignore the guilt that piles in her stomach. She and Rachel know that if the roles were reversed, Quinn would make Rachel’s life even more of a hell, and yet the brunette seems true in every smile.

When the song is over, Quinn is the first to leave. She moves off the stage, going back to the Glee room to grab her bag. There’s a noise from the door, but Quinn doesn’t turn around.

“Not now, Finn.” Her tone is sharp and cold, but she doesn’t want to look him in the eye and know he’s trying so hard for a baby that isn’t his.

“I’m not Finn.” The familiar, annoying voice is a contrast from Finn’s voice, and Quinn sighs, turning around to face Rachel.

“What do you want?” She doesn’t have the energy to use an insulting name.

“I wanted to see if you were okay.” Rachel says softly, stepping into the room. “Everyone is talking to Finn right now, so I thought I’d check on you.”

“Why are you doing this? Finn isn’t here to see it.” Quinn knows her voice is harsh, but she’s exhausted, stressed, and she doesn’t want to deal with crap right now.

“I told you. You’re a part of Glee club now, whether you want to admit it or not. I care about you. We’re teammates. It’s what we do.” Quinn is just staring at Rachel, searching for some sign of insincerity, but there is nothing but truth in the brunette’s voice and face. She opens her mouth to say something snippy, but she sighs instead, not able to think of anything. There’s no reason for her to be rude, not when Rachel is being so…nice.

“I just need to be alone right now.” Quinn says quietly, closing her eyes briefly. She opens them to see Rachel nodding.

“I’ll let the others know.” Rachel starts to leave, but hesitates, turning back around.

“Quinn?” Quinn looks up, waiting for Rachel to finish.

“If, or when, your parents find out and you need a place to stay, let me know. We have a spare bedroom that we would be happy to give you.” Rachel says, giving her one last, warm, kind, genuine smile before leaving. Quinn feels her eyes watering, and she begins to cry quietly, knowing she doesn’t deserve the kindness Rachel is offering her. Despite Rachel admitting that she had romantic ulterior motives, Quinn has a feeling this offer was genuine compassion.

When she’s finished, she stands up, collecting herself and her thoughts, regaining control of her emotions. She walks out of the Glee room back onto the stage. She is immediately enveloped in hugs, gentle murmurs of ‘we’re here for you’ being spoken softly into her ear. Quinn glances up from the hugs and makes eye contact with Rachel. Nothing is said, but there is a silent communication between them. There is an understanding that they will not be friends anytime in the near future, and they will continue to be rivals. But Quinn is grateful for Rachel’s support, and Rachel is grateful for that. They break eye contact and Quinn is passed into a pair of safe, familiar arms, where she realizes that having only Glee club might not be so awful.
♠ ♠ ♠
set during 'throwdown'.
look, i just really want this friendship to happen, okay?