Somewhere in the Middle

Who Peed In Your Cheerios?

I slammed the door shut and locked it hoping he wouldn't get in. He had done it again and I begged him to stop but he didn't. I have bruises everywhere on my body and I can't hide them like I usually do.  

I was broken from my thoughts by banging on the door, “Hayley open this god damn door before I break it down." Pauly yelled. I put my hands over my ears, closing my eyes, and slid down the wall to sit on the floor. I started singing a song my mom used to sing to Riley and I when we were little. 

“Ever close your eyes. 
Ever stop and listen. 
Ever feel alive. 
And you've nothing missing. 
You don't need a reason 
Let the day go on and on. 

Let the rain fall down. 
Everywhere around you 
Give into it now. 
Let the day surround you 
You don't need a reason 
Let the rain go on and..." I was cut off by my head being jerked up. I came face to face with the guy I thought would make my life worth living, but boy was I wrong. 

“Didn't I tell you to open the fucking door?" He yelled pulling my hair. I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes, tears falling down my face. 

“Answer me when I'm talking to you." 

I opened my eyes, “Yes." I whispered. He smiled a sickening smile and got an evil glint in his eye, “I'll just have to punish you." He stated and threw me on the bed that was in the corner.

“No, please don't. I won't do it again I swear." I pleaded through tears. He pulled his hand back and swung, his hand coming in contact with my face.
I jolted awake with a scream and only screamed louder when Riley jolted awake screaming also. 

“Pinky? Smurfette? What's going on?" Uncle Brian yelled running down the stairs. I heard more pounding footsteps behind him.

“Whats wrong?" Dad yelled in a panicked voice.

“Why are you screaming?" Matt yelled urgently.

“Are you hurt?" Zacky and Johnny yelled in unison. They all flew through the door looking around the room and then at us.

I looked at Riley with wide eyes that matched her own. Did she have the same dream? Did she have that dream again? Was it a different dream? All these questions flew around my mind in a jumbled mess. Riley looked at me and nodded her head as if to silently tell me she had that dream again. 

“Hayley, Riley what's wrong?" Dad asked stepping forward. We both shrunk back into the couch and scooted closer to each other. We know that he won't hurt us it's just that we don't want to be touched right now. I know if I can still feel his hands all over me that she can too and it doesn't just go away like that. 

Dad looked slightly hurt by this but tried not to let it show. He stepped back beside the guys and stuff his hands in his front pockets. Matt stepped forward and we did the same thing. The other did the same exact thing and we did the same exact thing. They all had the same look on their faces as dad had and it broke my heart. I really wanted to tell them about the infamous Pauly Gore and I'm sure Riley wanted to tell them about the-also-infamous Ronnie Payne. 

I stood up pulling Riley with me and pushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear, “I'm um...um fine. I need to go to my room." I said softly and made a mad dash for my room. I slammed my door shut and set in my hanging bubble chair. I brought my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them, staring at nothing in particular. A soft knock sounded from the door. 

“Hayls it's me. Can I come in?" Riley asked through the door. I sighed, “It's open." I replied. She came and sat down in the other hanging bubble chair across from mine. 

I honestly don't know what made us have those dreams and to have them three years after it all happened. I don't know how long we stayed silent but it was broken by my phone vibrating indicating I had a text. I touched the screen on my phone and dropped it after I read the text. Riley looked at me with a confused face and picked up my phone to read the text. She to dropped the phone causing it to hit the ground with a thud. 

“I can't believe it." Riley whispered looking at me with fearful eyes. Is this why we had those dreams? This is one of those things from our past that we want to stay in the past. We still haven't told anybody here because we don't want them to see us differently. They'll give us looks of pity and that's something we don't need anymore of. We had recieved enough pity when it happened to last us a lifetime or two. 

“What's this about?" Mom asked holding my phone. How the hell did we not notice her come in? I hope she doesn't find my....Fuck a monkey! Thats what she's holding and I just noticed. I looked at Riley with wide eyes and saw her visibly pale. 

“It's nothing. Just a text from an old friend is all." I said trying not to sound scared. I hope she buys it. But by the look on her face I'll say she doesn't. 

“It's not nothing. Tell me who Ronnie and Pauly are and tell me why you should be on the lookout?" She asked sternly. Ruh-roh she's using her mom voice. Riley looked at me and I nodded. Might as well tell her since she is our mom. 

“Ronnie Payne and Pauly Gore are our ex's. They got sent to jail because they raped and abused us. We were thirteen and they were sixteen when it all happened. They weren't like this when we first started dating. We started dating because they said they would take care of us, told us that they loved us, and get us out of the orphanage once we were old enough. Our friend Kayla-who sent us the text and is an old friend from school-saw the bruises on our arms and saw how withdrawn we were so she told the orpahange owner Miss Mary. Miss Mary asked us what happened and after we told her everything she called the cops. A couple days later they got arrested and they told us they would come after us once they got out. I guess a couple days ago they got out." Riley explained fidgeting with her hands. I didn't dare look up at mom because I didn't want to see those looks of pity. 

“Oh girls I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. Come here." Mom said holding out her arms. I got up at the same time Riley did and we both wrapped our arms around her. I layed my head on her shoulder and felt tears roll down my cheeks. 

“We're sorry we didn't tell you before." Riley and I whispered. I felt her nod her head and give us a little squeeze. After a while she let go of us and told us we didn't have to go to school today. Thank you oh mother dearest. 

          
}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{

A knock came from my door bringing me from my sleep. I groaned and put my head under my pillow. Riley groaned beside me and I'm guessing pulled the covers over her head because they moved. 

“Smurfette, Pinky you need to get up and quit sleeping like a couple of lazy asses." Uncle Brian said walking in. Well I'm glad one of us wasn't in our birthday suits. 

“Go away Uncle Bri." Riley and I groaned in unison. Sleeping like a couple of lazy asses sounds really nice right now and I find it very rude that he woke us lazy asses from our sleep. He didn't seem to listen and preceded to jump on us. 

“Gft oft me." Riley yelled pulling the covers off her head. Well that's one way to get her up. But it's not the best way.

“I have a fly swatter and if you don't get off me you'll end up like Uncle Matt almost did." I said pulling the pillow off my head. Brian stopped poking us and darted out of my bedroom door.

“Good job dear Monster." Riley said knuckle bumping me. “But I think we should get up and get ready for school." She said getting out of my bed. I nodded and locked the door after she closed it. I took a quick shower and after I was all dried I got dressed. My phone was blinking showing me I had two voicemails. I picked it up and called my voicemail. 

“Hey babe it's Ace. My car broke down so I need you pick me up on your way to school. Just honk out front and I'll be down. See ya in a few."

“Hey bitch it's Barbie. I put two Nerf guns on your front porch for you and Riley. Don't question me and just bring them to school with you. Peace out bitch."

Well ok then. I guess I'm taking a Nerf gun to school with me today. I really don't think this day is gonna end good but you only live once so why not take the chance and have fun. I shook my head grabbing my backpack and walked to the kitchen to eat breakfast. When I sat down by Brian he scooted his chair away from me and looked at me with weary eyes. I just smirked and stuffed my face with mouth watering food.  

Riley skidded to a stop in the kitchen and sat down beside me. She too started stuffing her face with food, every now and then stopping to take a drink of orange juice. 

“Did you get a voicemail from Barbie too?" She asked with a mouthful of food. When she spoke a few pieces of food flew in my face. I nodded and picked up my spoon and scooped up some eggs. As I was about to launch them at her face Johnny grabbed my hand to stop me. After he sat down and wasn't looking I launched some eggs at his face. Everyone got really quiet when the eggs slid off his face and into his lap.

“Well I think it's time for school. Bye everyone." I said with a wave and walked out on the front porch with Riley. I handed her, her Nerf gun and walked to my car. 

“I've gotta pick up Ace and Barbie so I'll see you at school." I said to Riley. 

“I've gotta get Aiden and Giana on my way there so I'll see ya at Hell." She said getting in her car. I waved and backed out of the driveway taking off toward Barbie's house. Barbie lived about three blocks from our house so I always got her before I picked up Ace if he ever needed a ride. When I pulled up to her house I saw her laying on the ground-like an army person-putting the foam bullets in her Nerf gun. I honked my horn causing her to jump up and run to my car with all her stuff.

“What's up with all the Nerf guns Barbie?" I asked pulling away from the curb. She looked at me through her heart sunglasses and smirked, “I told you not to question me, but I'll tell you anyways. We're going to have a Nerf gun war." She said. 

That's all she said the whole way to Ace's house. Wonder what she's thinking about? Maybe different ways to not get caught? Oh who knows with that girl. I pulled up to Ace's house and honked, he never came out of the house so I honked again. He still didn't come out so I got out of the car and walked to the front door ignoring Barbie who told me to not go up there. I knocked on the front door and adjusted my avaitors. A few minutes later a women answered the door smelling like alcohol and sex.

“I'm here to pick up Ace." I said trying not to gag from the smell. I feel sorry for Ace. 

She looked me up and down, “Your the skank who's seeing my son." She stated bluntly. Where the hell did she get that from? I'm not dating Ace-althought I want to be-and I'm far from a skank. She may want to look in a mirror and then she'll know what a skank looks like.

“I'm not a skank and I'm not seeing your son. Why don't you keep your mouth shut and quit saying stuff about people you don't fucking know. Now can you please get Ace for me?" I growled clenching my fists. She glared and opened her mouth to respond but Ace pushed past her and grabbed my arm. 

“Come on Hayls." He said lowly pulling me to my car. I got in the car and took off after Barbie let Ace in the back. The whole way to the school nothing was said. You could probably cut the tension with a knife. When I pulled in a parking spot and shut off my car Aiden jumped on the hood of my car with his Nerf gun. I jumped out and slammed the door shut. 

“Aiden-whatever your middle name is-Smith what possessed you to jump on my car?" I screeched throwing my arms in the air for dramatic effect. Some people may say I'm a freak about my car or cars in general. But what do you expect when you spend most of your time with your dad who was car crazy. Watching your dad for eleven years work on car after car can have that effect on you. I guess you could say Riley and I were tomboys but we were still girly. 

He smirked and shook his Nerf gun in the air, “Nerf gun war, duh." He said still standing on my car. He had his fucking shoes on and now there's gonna be stupid shoe prints on the hood. Gah why does he have to be such a fucktard? This is going to be a long ass day.

“Seriously you fucktard if you don't get off my car right now I'll get my fly swatter and then shoot you with my Nerf gun." I threatened. He got down off my car and stayed close to Riley. Can you say Aiden is a wussy?

“Who peed in your cheerios?" Giana asked pulling her shrug on. 

“One: I didn't have cheerios for breakfast and two: I'm just angry is all." I said trying not to have a temper tantrum. “I've gotta go class is about to start." I stated walking off after I locked my car. I may be going to the beach later on today and have some alone time. 

}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{

I actually didn't stay mad the whole time I was at school. It was probably the best day I've had since Riley and I started going here. At lunch all six of us split into groups of three. Ace and Riley were on my team, so that means Aiden, Giana, and Barbie were on the other team. Let's just say that Queen B and her drones got shot with the bright orange foam bullets. 

At one point Ace and Aiden told us they had to go to the bathroom but they didn't come back. As I was looking at the tables by the trash cans I saw foam bullets fly through the air hitting Queen B, her drones, and Queen B's boyfriend in the heads. The four of us girls tried to smother our laughs but they still saw and heard us laughing. Let's just say that we got the evil eye-or eyes-and told that if we didn't quit acting like jackasses we would get another beating. Those idiots better quit messing with us or they'll be the ones to get another beating.

As I got in my car I saw Ace talking to Barbie. Ace got in the front seat of my car and Barbie got in Riley's car. I looked at him with raised eyebrows and started the car. 

“Why isn't Barbie riding with us?" I asked rolling down the windows. I hope he's not mad about what I said to his mom and tell me that he doesn't want to be friends anymore. 

He sighed, “I told her I needed to talk to you alone and she said she'd ride with Riles." He said and looked back out the window. I pulled out of the school parking lot and started driving down the road. It was silent for a few minutes until he broke it. 

“I'm sorry about my mom." He said looking at me. I glanced a him and turned my attention back to the road.

“It's fine and I'm sorry about what I said. I just don't like people calling me names." I said with a small smile. I stopped at a stoplight and started drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. 

“You can pick a cd out of my case if you want. It's in the console." I said taking off when the light turned green. Ace nodded and started flipping through the pages. A moment later he put a cd in and it started playing a song I haven't heard in a long, long time. It was the song my mom used to sing to Riley and I when we were little. She said she titled it Wild Child because it fit Riley and me. 

Ever close your eyes
Ever stop and listen
Ever feel alive
And you've nothing missing
You don't need a reason
Let the day go on and on

Let the rain fall down
Everywhere around you
Give into it now
Let the day surround you
You don't need a reason
Let the rain go on and on

What a day, what a day to take to
What a way, what a way to make it through
What a day, what a day to take to a wild child

Only take the time
From the helter skelter
Every day you find
Everything's in kilter
You don't need a reason
Let the day go on and on

Every summer sun
Every winter evening
Every spring to come
Every autumn leaving
You don't need a reason
Let it all go on and on

What a day, what a day to take to
What a way, what a way to make it through
What a day, what a day to take to a wild child

What a day, what a day to take to
What a way, what a way to make it through
What a day, what a day to take to a wild child

Da-da da da da da, da da da da da da
da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da

What a day, what a day to take to
What a way, what a way to make it through
What a day, what a day to take to
Da-da-da
Da-da-da-da-da-da
What a way, what a way to make it through
What a day, what a day to take to
What a day, what a day to take to a wild child
What a day, what a day to take to
What a day, what a day to take to a wild child
 

I had pulled my car in the driveway in the middle of the song. I didn't want to turn it off because it's been so long since I've heard her voice. A few tears had fell from my eyes and more were building up. I wiped the tears shutting the car off and gettig out. Riley was standing by my car with tear streaks down her cheeks and she was covering her mouth. I'm guessing she heard the song too. 

“W-Why were you l-listening to t-that?" Riley asked stuttering. Not hearing your moms voice for four years is emotional and can do some damage. 

“I picked the cd. Why?" Ace said standing beside me. He had a confused face that matched Aiden's, Barbie's, and Giana's. Feeling that they didn't need to know I shook my head and told them I'd tell them later. 

“Smurfette, Pinky go get in your swimsuits were going to the beach." Brian yelled coming out the front door. “Why are you crying? What's the matter?" He asked noticing the tear streaks.

“We'll tell you later Uncle Bri. Hey can Gee, Malibu Barbie, Ace, and Aide go to the beach too?" Riley asked wiping her face. He nodded and gave us kisses on our foreheads before walking inside. 

“I've got swimsuits of yours at my house. So let's get to gettin'." Barbie said clapping her hands. The four of them said see ya in a minute and walked off toward Barbie's house.

}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{*}|{

Riley had to sit on Aiden's lap since there wasn't enough room in the back but it's not like she minded. Giana and Barbie were sitting in the back with them making kissy faces every now and then, causing them both to turn bright red. Ace laughed and asked me if he could change the cd. I nodded and took a drink of my monster when I stopped at a stoplight. A second later Baby Got Back by Sir Mix Alot[/url] started playing so I turned it up really loud and rolled down the windows. What can I say I like the song and so does Riley. We also know all the words. I looked at Riley in the rearview mirror smirking and we started singing along.

Oh my god
Becky, look at her butt
It is so big
She looks like one of those rap guys girlfriends
Who understands those rap guys
They only talk to her because she looks like a total prostitute,ok
I mean her butt
It's just so big
I can't believe it's just so round
It's just so out there
I mean, *GROSS*
Look, she's just so black

I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
And when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tuff
Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get witcha
And take your pictcha
My homeboys tried ta warn me
But that butt you got
Makes m-m-me so horny
Ooh, rub that smooth skin
You say you wanna get in my benz
Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

I see her dancin'
The hell with romancin'
She's Sweat, wet, got it goin like a turbo vette

I'm tired of magazines
Saying flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him black
She gotta pack much back

So Fellas (yeah) Fellas(yeah)
Does your girlfriend got the butt (hell yeah)
Tell em  shake it, (shake it), shake it,(shake it), shake that healthy butt

Baby got back
(LA face with the Oakland booty)
Baby got back
(LA face with the oakland booty)

I like'em round and big
And when I'm throwin a gig
I just can't help myself
I'm actin like an animal
Now here's my scandal

I wanna get you home
And UH, double up UH UH
I aint talkin bout playboy
Cuz silicone parts are made for toys
I want em real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mixalot's in trouble
Beggin for a piece of that bubble
So I'm lookin' at rock videos
Knock kneed bimbos walkin like hoes
You can have them bimbos
I'll keep my women like Flo Jo
A word to the thick soul sistas
I wanna get with ya
I won't cuss or hit ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna UH
Til' the break of dawn
Baby Got it goin' on
Alot of pimps won't like this song
Cuz them punks lie to hit it and quit it
But I'd rather stay and play
Cuz I'm long and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the friction on

So ladies (yeah), Ladies (yeah)
Do you wanna roll my Mercedes (yeah)
Then turn around
Stick it out
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got back

Baby got back

Yeah baby
When it comes to females
Cosmo ain't got nothin to do with my selection
36-24-36, ha ha
Only if she's 5'3"

So your girlfriend rolls a Honda
Playin workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda
My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns hun
You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt
Some brothers wanna play that hard role
And tell you that the butt ain't gold
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
Cuz your waste is small and your curves are kickin
And I'm thinkin 'bout stickin
To the beanpole dames in the magazines
You aint it miss thing
Give me a sista I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didnt miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis
Cuz his girls were on my list
He had a game but he chose to hit 'em
And  I pull up quick to get with 'em
So ladies if your butt is round
And you wanna triple X Throw down
Dial 1-900-MIXALOT and kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got back...Baby got back 

Little in the middle but she got much back x 4


The other four looked at us like we were crazy but laughed none the less. As we all got out of the car everyone else pulled up beside me. Dad, Mom, Johnny, Lacey, Zacky, and Gena got out of dads SUV and Matt, Val, Brian, and Michelle got out of Matts SUV. I walked up behind Matt and stole his hat then took off running toward the sand. I heard him yell at me and then Brian yell at Riley. She was soon beside me with Brians hat on. We both shreeched when we were thrown over their shoulders. 

“Uncle Matt put. Me. Down." I ordered. His shoulder moved up and down from laughing. Gah how rude. He's laughing at me. 

“Not a chance Hayls." He said walking toward the water. 

“You throw me in the water and mess up my phone I'll get my fly swatter. Aunt Val wouldn't like you not being able to have kids now would sh.." I started to say but was thrown in the water without my phone of course. I came back up spitting water out of my mouth and pushing my wet hair out of my face. I slowly made my way out of the water and saw Riley come back up with water dripping down her face. 

“Uncle Matt I'm mad at you now." I said crossing my arms and playfully glaring at him. He gave me a dimpled grin and handed me my towel. I can never stay mad at that man for long. I grinned and dried off with the towel. I sat down on the towel after I dried off and watched everyone mess around. The guys were playing against the girls in volleyball, if you ask me the guys were letting the girls win but don't tell the girls that. Riley layed her towel down beside mine and sat down indian style. 

“Do you think they'll really come after us?" Riley asked quietly. I didn't need her to say their names to know who she's talking about.

“I hope not but with them you never know." I said looking at her. She nodded her head and turned it in the same direction I was looking and instantly froze. I looked past her and also froze. Standing just a ways down the beach were our ex's. Pauly and Ronnie were looking right at us.                    
♠ ♠ ♠
The song Wild Child belongs to Enya and the song Baby Got Back belongs to Sir Mix Alot. Sorry for the wait I just wanted this chapter to be amazing for all of you.