The Black, the White, and Then the Grey

A visit from Albus

Kreature had been my house elf ever since I was born. He often told me how wonderful my grandmother was. Obviously he has been serving my house for a long time now. I was in my study, that had once been my father's, when Kreature walked in. I was re-reading one of my expert level potions book, trying to perfect it in every way possible. Kreature had been there to clean up my messes every time one of them went awry, to put it mildly. Though he has a rough exterior, he had always been kind to me, even though he could be hateful to others. I guess he figured I would follow in my mother’s footsteps. After all, that was the side of the family Kreature preferred. My mother came from a long line of dark wizards and witches, being very dark herself. My father has just as much as an impressive pedigree, at least when it comes to be a dark wizard. But he just didn’t follow in the path of his ancestors, instead he was friends with the people who fought against the Dark Lord, which is why Kreature doesn’t like my father. My father “shamed” the family. None of it bothered me. These are my parents, I have yet to choose a “side”.
It’s a rather awkward mixture, isn’t it? My mother and father fought on different sides. My mother fought with Voldemort, my father against it. When my father had deemed me old enough, he told me what happened. Apparently, my grandmother wanted to redeem her family name. So she picked out a bride for my father, obviously behind his back. One night, the Imperius curse was used against him. He married, and had a honeymoon ( and all that entails) against his will. The Black family name is a powerful one after all. Many dark witches would have lined up to become his bride. My mother became pregnant with me after than one night, and my father was released from the curse. After all, they got what they had wanted from him. My mother died in childbirth, and my father’s mother brought me to this house, dying soon afterwards herself. My father came and took care of me until he was taken to Askaban. Since then I have been under Kreature’s care, with my father keeping in touch with me from letters.
When Kreature walked in, my eyes didn’t move from my book. After all, he was normally in and out of all the rooms, normally leaving me to my vices. But every once in a while, he actually needed my attention.
“Mistress.” He said simply, in his small, grumbly tone. I looked over my book at him.
“Yes, Kreature?” I asked. He seemed to bow his head a little.
“A letter came for you. Dumbledore will be arriving momentarily.” He said, spitting Dumbledore’s name out with distaste. That was one man who Kreature would prefer to not enter the house, or for me to see at all. But he was the only one who ever came to the house to give me company. After all, some people are afraid of my condition.
I sighed and put laid my book down on my lap. When I turned to turn on a light, I heard a gentle ‘pop’ outside. I smiled as I heard a knock on my study door.
“Come in Albus.” I said, smiling. The door opened, and Albus strode in, Kreacher shuffling behind him, almost glaring at him.
“Ah, Evangelene, you look well.”
“As do you my friend.” I said, standing only momentarily to shake his hand, greeting him properly.
“Mistress?” Kreature asked in a small voice. I acknowledged him by looking at him.
“Will you or your guest be requiring my services?” He asked, obviously wanting to leave the presence of Albus. I looked over at my “guest”. He smiles knowingly, shaking his head. We both knew things would be much more pleasant if Kreature left us while we talked.
“No, Kreature, you may go, and thank you for the warning.” I said, smiling at him sweetly.
“Your manners still astound me, Evangelene.” Albus mentioned after Kreature had the heavy, thick, dark, wooden door shut securely behind him. “After all, most people don’t treat their house elf’s with such respect. Its quite refreshing to encounter.” I smiled at his compliments that he always paid me when he visited.
“Oh Albus, we both know that you didn’t come here to talk about my manners” His eyes twinkled as my comment left my lips. My fingers were absentmindedly toying and fiddling with the binding on my book, already having the feel and texture already committed to memory.
“Its been quite a while since my last visit, Evangelene, and here you are trying to rush me already? You would think you got visitors everyday.” I was amused with his take on my hermit lifestyle.
“Well, maybe I am a little too involved in my studies. You caught me while my mind is still consuming every aspect of this potion, so I can do it better than the experts. There is always some sort of way for me to make it easier and more efficient.” I said, letting my mind wonder back to the spell. Albus noticed my eyes seeming to unfocus on my surroundings, knowing those thoughts in my head were distracting me.
“Well, your studies is what I came to talk to you about, sweet Evangelene. As you know well, I converse with your father quite regularly. We vary from quite a few topics, but one of the main concerns, is you. He is worried about your social health, since being locked up in this house the rest of your life, certainly isn’t healthy. Your studies are simply outstanding, but what do you have to compare yourself to? I would like to offer you a place in my school, knowing that you would have…. Special needs, and doing everything in my power to compensate for them.” He said, getting right down to business, just like I had wanted. He had this way of looking at you over those half-moon shaped glasses of his that almost made you want to agree with whatever he said… as I mentioned… ALMOST.
“Albus, you and I both know that this cant happen, after all, I’m not suited for society.” I spat out the last part with distaste, scrunching up my nose a little in the process. “Wizzarding parents don’t want their kids around someone like me.”
“No one will know your secret, unless you tell them, or it gets out. By then it will be proven that you are fit to be a student at Hogwarts, since your behavior and marks will be exemplary.” He said calmly. I was already starting to tell that he had a reasonable remark, for almost anything I was going to come up with, but that doesn’t mean I was going to give in easily. “My dear, are you afraid that you cant keep up, academically? After all, we do have some of the brightest students.” I held back my glare. Oh, he did not just go there. Me, afraid of not being bright enough? Pfft.
“You and I both know that I am more than academically capable of enrolling in your school. In fact, I assume your classes will bore me.” I said, my attitude starting to flare up a little. Albus just smiled knowingly, as if he had meant to push that button.
“Then are you afraid of the competition, or would you agree that it could possibly be healthy for you?”
“I’m not afraid of any of the students at your school, I’m quite sure I could leave them in the dust.” I said, more than just a little dramatically. So what if I was confident? Being stuck all alone with no friends gave me more than plenty of time to practice, where other people were distracted by their social lives.
“Good then, Evangelene, its settled. You’ll be coming to Hogwarts to prove yourself to the academic community, who think you aren’t cracked up to everything you claim you are.” My only friend, Albus said to me. That made me stumble a little. I mean, WHAT?? They thought I was lying about my performances? I mean… I had declined to show everyone what I could do, since that meant making a public appearance. BUT, I never assumed they thought I was lying… What a disheartening thought.
These thoughts were spinning in my head, and I know Albus could see them. He just smiled knowingly, like he always did. Damn bastard always seemed to be right.
“Everything is already arranged. Your ticket, I will leave with you tonight, and tomorrow I will need you on the train. Then envelope will tell you all the details. All the books your need are arriving as we speak, along with your robes.” I looked back up at him, knowing there was no way I was going to get out of this now. Obviously Albus and my father had been conspiring for quite some time.
“Alright, Albus” I mumbled, wondering what all I had just gotten myself into, and all that it entailed. He smiled, as he got up to leave. He hesitated, turning back to me to say one last thing.
“At the school, you will have to address me as Dumbledore, or even Professor. There we can’t be just friends. You will be one of my students, and I, your headmaster. Some formalities have to be in tact, or some will think you are doing well because I am playing favorites, and we just can’t have that.” I nodded, agreeing with him yet again. He glanced around the room one last time before turning to leave. “I shall see you in my school, tomorrow Evaneline. Have a good night.” He opened the door and strode through it, the door swinging shut behind him. I sat in my chair, thinking about the most recent events. My boring life just became not so boring anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, so there are probably lots of gramattical errors, but I hope you get the jist of how i write. I would LOVE comments! If this chapter goes well, I will post more.
I had to start writing again, since I couldnt continue to read the non-scencical writings of some of the other authors. I hope you dont find my story to be the same way.