The Black, the White, and Then the Grey

Off to Hogwarts

Early the next morning, I was dutifully standing outside the portal to platform 9 ¾, as the letter in the envelope had instructed me to. Well, that’s not entirely true. I was standing… or leaning… against one of the archways in the train station, scoping out the scene. The letter hadn’t instructed to do that, just to arrive there in an appropriate amount of time. I, of course, was more than a little early. Because of my social awkwardness, I tended to enjoy avoiding crowds. Currently, my 5’6” frame, which was perfect in my opinion (not too tall or not too short), was leaning against the slightly abrasive red brick archways in between the muggle trains. The train station was practically empty, I had just wanted a feel for this place before I actually left for Hogwarts. My eyes were closed. Somehow, there was a slight breeze in here. It could have either made it in from outside, miraculously, or (the more logical explanation) there was a fan blowing in the distance. A dark, deep, brunette curl was softly tickling the side of my face. Yes, the Black family name, normally carried genes with pitch black hair, but I liked being a little different.
I took a deep breath of air, noticing the grimy appearance to the air. I smiled, knowing it was things like this that my books couldn’t portray to me. Maybe going to Hogwarts could give me those fulfilling experiences my books couldn’t adequately describe. I slowly opened my eyes, letting my grey eyes shine. Sometimes, at certain times, my eyes turned a beautiful mercury silver, but that wouldn’t be happening soon. My eyes took in my surroundings, noticing how the soft, early morning sunlight landed on me from windows up high, softly sun kissing my skin. I felt warm, calm, and serene.
“Like, OMG Mom, why cant we find somewhere better to shop than Diagon Alley? That’s where EVERYONE shops. I want to be BETTER than everyone, like, didn’t you know that? Aren’t you suppose to try to make your favorite daughter happy? I mean like, why can’t we special order things, or like, whatever. I just want to flaunt to everyone like, how much better I am than them.” Said a preppy, female voice, coming from behind me, but getting closer with each step. She was obviously going to walk right past the archway I was leaning against. She had one of those voices that was just painfully annoying, you know what I mean right? And how many times can a person use the word “like” without sounding like a blonde bimbo? That probably exactly what she looked like. As muggles would stereotype her, the blonde cheerleader type. She sashayed right past me, her mother in stride right beside her. She had her voice lower as she responded to her daughter, obviously telling her how Diagon Alley was one of the best places to shop for school supplies, at least OUR kind of school supplies. She stopped in front of the specific archway that I knew was the portal. The blonde flicked her wrist at her mom, giving her the “talk to the hand because the face isn’t listening”. Yes. She was that immature. Then she stormed through the portal. I wondered if muggles ever saw us walking in to walls like this and just thought we were crazy?
Never the less, I paid attention as she went through. This was another thing I had been waiting for. I had read plenty of books, on Hogwarts, and such things like this, entailed in going to Hogwarts. I knew everything about it, right down to the dimensions of the archway, and what type of magic was used to create that portal. I knew that it was safe, I just have never seen it in action. I was lost in my own thoughts, my eyes still concentrating on the portal when I saw a flash. What the hell was that? I blinked my eyes a few times, refocusing my eyes, and shifted them to the source. I mentally groaned. Oh great, a photographer.
“Ma’am do you mind if I take your picture?” He said, snapping another shot. “Your just so beautiful, you could be a model! Look at your light complexion. You do know that its much sexier than tanned people now a days, right? Do you know how bad-ass you look, leaning against that wall like that?” He continued, snapping even more photographs. I leapt into action, grabbing his camera. His face paled. I HATED people taking pictures of me.
“Don’t you know I can sue you for photographing me without my consent, right? Should I ask for your name, or are you just going to get rid of those pictures anyway?” I practically growled at him. So maybe my manners were the reason for my social awkwardness, and not just the rest of the world? He gulped and nodded, his hands fumbling with his camera. I guess I looked fierce. My eyes had a tendency to make all my facial expressions striking, and when I’m mad, it can get scary looking. I didn’t say another word, I just let go of him, and let him run away.
No longer in the mood to sit and enjoy my surroundings, I grabbed my luggage quite fiercely, pulling it toward the portal. I didn’t hesitate as I walked right through it. The magic enveloped me, sending tingling sensations through me. I didn’t pause, but I let the magic soothe away my frustrations. I had always imagined Magic like this to be a shade of grey, and right now, it was surrounding me. I kept walking, though enjoying the sensation, that was until I reached platform 9 ¾. It was still practically empty, much to my liking, but I knew it wouldn’t stay that way long. I needed to go find a cabin before this place started to get crowded. I boarded the train, ignoring, for once, my surroundings, and how beautifully crafted this particular train was. I had seen plenty of pictures, the sight of it was now familiar to me, though I had never been on it. It was the smell of the fabrics that I had never experienced before. I picked out a cabin, where I hoped would be quiet, and stored my luggage (or the rest of the luggage those kind house elf’s had not taken off my hands) above on the racks. I pulled out one of my new school books and started to read it. As I had imagined, it wasn’t near as advanced as I had hoped. My hope for a challenge was quickly fading, but none the less, I would perfect these spells as well, if I haven’t done so already.
I had engulfed myself in my studies before the train became loud and full. So engrossed actually, I didn’t notice my surroundings, which was weird for my condition. There were a few knocks on my cabin door, I faintly heard them through my thoughts, but ignored them. The knocking became louder, but received no other response from me. The door opened, and I refused to look up. I mean, how many other cabins are there and they have to come bother me? ME??
“Excuse me, Miss, do you mind if my two friends and I share a cabin with you? We arrived later than normal and everywhere else is plum full.” Said a feminine voice. Oh. Well that might explain why they would come to my cabin then. I looked up at her this time, assessing her in only a moment’s time. She had frizzy brown hair, meaning she obviously wasn’t trying to incredibly hard to tame it. I mean, I couldn’t have dealt with one of those cheerleader types. They would have been just shit out of luck. But her, maybe she could be half way decent. I nodded at her, moving over and making room for my new cabin mates.
"Oh Christ, not another book worm", said a deeper male voice behind her. "Ronald, shut up. I am not a book worm, i just prefer to be educated, unlike some," she implied as a coy insult back towards the male. She sat down beside me, while two males filed in across from us. I looked up, surprised at who I saw. My eyebrows raised just a little.
“ Well hello Harry Potter, its nice to meet you. I’m surprised you don’t have a cabin of your own set up.” I said giving a sly smile. I needed to test him some.
“I’m just a normal student here, having to fight for cabins, just like anyone else. You know my name, may I know yours?” He questioned, looking me over. I smiled, still debating if I should give myself away. But I knew I had to, my father would kill me if I wasn’t nice to his god-son.
“I guess, technically, I’m your god-sister, if there is such a term.” I said, giving him a clue to who I was. It didn’t seem to register. Maybe he wasn’t as bright as everyone made him out to be? Then I heard a gasp beside me.
“Your Evangelene Black!” the female exclaimed. I smiled, giving a little conceding nod, disappointed that the answer didn’t come for Harry.
“Black? Your last name is Black? Harry’s god-father’s last name is Black.” It was the other male who had spoken this time. I felt like banging my head against the window. Could he really be that thick. The female beside me had almost the same impression.
“Ron! Please tell me your joking.” She asked. Ron, because that’s apparently his name, looked at her almost blankly. “That Sirius’s daughter!” I smiled. She must be the brains of this operation. Harry’s eyes almost glistened with interest.
“Is that true, Evangelene?” Asked the male who is apparently Ron.
“Yes… Ron?” I asked, just double checking.
“Oh no, where are my manners!” Said the female. “My name is Hermione Granger, that is Ronald Weasley, Ron for short, and well… you already know Harry.”
“Well, his scar is legendary, after all.” I said, looking back at Harry, who hadn’t taken his eyes off of me.
“So why is this your first year at Hogwarts? Isn’t it required of a young witch like yourself?” Asked Ronald. I looked at him, sizing him up.
“After all the press my family has received, I have received private instruction, overseen by Professor Dumbledore himself.” I said, apparently appeasing Ronald’s questions.
“Is everything that people claim you can do, real?” Asked Hermione, her eyes sparkling in interest. I sensed Harry was still staring at me, but I didn’t look back at him.
“Yes.” I simply answered, like it was no big deal.
“Then why not show up for demonstrations? No one believes you!” She said, sounded exasperated.
“Dumbledore is someone, and I have no reason to prove myself to others, for no reason at all. I will use them when there’s a valid reason. Not to appease some High Counselor’s interest. I am not a side show, and refused to be treated as such.” I said calmly, not really caring if they thought I was wrong. She looked at me, nodding. I turned back to Harry, who’s eyes had not left me.
“If your really his daughter, how come he never told me about you?” He asked kinda strained. Even this was a surprise to me. He always told me about Harry… I’m his own daughter… Flesh and Blood… and I’m not even worth MENTIONING ONCE? My look apparently gave me away, he stopped looking at me quite so critically, though there was an aire I wasn’t quite familiar with.
“Maybe he wanted you to concentrate on your life, instead about worrying about his family.” I made up some lie, so excuse, and I knew he could tell. And THAT made me uncomfortable. He didn’t call me on it though. But I could tell he thought something was up, suspicious. So maybe he’s not as dumb as he first appeared? Hermione seemed to feel the thickness in the air from the subject.
“Harry, she has been gracious enough to share her cabin with us, so maybe we should leave her alone for a while. After all, she was reading before we interrupted her. I wouldn’t have been so nice in her shoes.” She said. I smiled at her, liking her even better. Now they wouldn’t be asking me to socialize, which I was horrible at. Harry nodded, though those eyes never left me. He opened a magazine, while I went back to my book, but he wasn’t actually reading. It made it awkward for me to read while being stared at. Was I funny looking or something? I thought I should have a reason to be confident about my figure, but he was making me second guess. Could he not believe the daughter or Sirius Black was so pretty… or did he consider me ugly? NO, no, no. Don’t think like that. You will only drive yourself crazy Evangelene! Don’t worry about anyone but yourself. I did manage to plunge my mind back into my book, ignoring as others came and went. A lot of time had passed before I felt a hand on my knee. It was Harry, leaning over to me.
“You might want to go put on your robes before we get to the school.” He mentioned now that he had my attention. I blushed, for two reasons. One, he was touching my knee… which shouldn’t have that much of an effect on me… should it? But then again… I’m not used to being around guys… TWO, I should have already thought about changing into my robes, though they would be colorless, besides black, since I have yet to be sorted. I nodded a thank you, and stood up quickly to get my clothes. I pushed my way into the hallway, knowing I would have to deal with the crowd. I had ALMOST made it to the bathroom when I heard a snide voice behind me.
“Hold the phone… What do we have here?” The voice said. I felt a hand grab my wrist and I spun around quickly, yanking out of the grasp. It was a blonde haired guy, not bad looking either, but that didn’t matter. NO ONE touches me.
“I will give you one warning. DON’T touch me.” I said, shifting into a more defensive position. Besides my magic, being able to defend myself physically became a need for me. I had no qualms about defending myself now.
“Easy, beautiful. Why have I never seen you around before?” He asked, clearly checking me out. I groaned inwardly. Wasn’t I just afraid of being ugly? I decided to respond, even if he wasn’t being exactly gentlemanly.
“I am a new student.” I said simply, not elaborating.
“Been studying abroad?” He questioned, digging a little deeper. I sighed.
“No. I have been studying privately the past couple years.” I said. I saw his eyes light up. I was someone different. I was now a person of interest… GREAT…. So much for staying UNDER the radar.
“The name’s Draco. Draco Malfoy.” He said. My eyes narrowed. I knew that last name… “Since you will probably be a little behind, I’ll help you catch up sweetie.” He continued, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I grabbed his hand, spinning him away from me, snapping his arm straight and applying my thumbs into that pressure point in the palm. He froze, obviously stunned.
“The name is Evangelene Black. I know exactly who you are. A playboy? And your father isn’t any better, plus he loves to question and doubt my every move. Even if I needed help, I wouldn’t come asking you.” I said, using his paralyzed hand to push him away from him. That arm might be a little numb for a while. I turned and continued my course to the bathroom. After changing into my robes, I stepped back out, just now realizing the scene Draco and I had made. Everyone was still perfectly silent, except for the occasional whispers, and lots of people pointing at me. I should have known pissing Draco off would get me attention. Which was the ONE thing I didn’t want. I pushed past him, back to my cabin, and huffily sat down. My whole demeanor gave off a “don’t ask” vibe, and none of the three hesitated to listen to my vibes. That was actually pretty smart of them. I knew my day had only begun. What else is going to go wrong? Why couldn’t I just blend into the crowd like I wanted to? I knew the answer to that one at least. I wasn’t like the rest of the crowd, how on earth could I blend? But oh! If only they knew how different I was…
♠ ♠ ♠
So i had NO comments, but still sat here all day and wrote over three pages for you guys. You OWE me. Lmao. Not really. I hope you enjoy, and remember, i would love at least ONE comment from SOMEONE lol :)