Helena

The End

Dearest friends,

Words cannot stress how sorrowful I am as I write this letter you'll all eventually read. Firstly, I want you all to know that I am no more. Do not worry, because this thought has intruded my mind multiple times. This is what's best for everyone. My mind has been set on a course that no one will change.
If you're wondering where I am, you will never know. It would cause nothing more than old memories if my corpse is found, and I would not want you to remember the pain that I've left on your shoulders. I shouldn't even be writing this, but I figured it was the best thing to indicate that this was my own decision, and not a choice from the mind of anyone else.
Things are better off this way.

So long and goodnight,
Helena


She let the tears fall down her face onto the letter she had completed. She folds it and kisses the front, leaving a silhouette of her black lipstick for the one who finds this letter first.

She lets out a sigh as she lays the letter all by itself on the top of her beloved black writing desk. She grabs her blade that was beside the letter, and heads out the door of the house that is no longer hers. She almost takes an umbrella with her, then remembers she won't need it where she's going.

***

At the dark lake, she finds the concrete block that is keeping her row-boat ashore. No one is around, so she picks up the heavy block and sets it in the bow of the boat, grabs the rope and climbs in. She pushes off the boat from the shore and begins her journey to the deepest part of the lake.

She looks up at the cloudy sky and smiles. She ties one end of the rope to the concrete block, and the other end to her ankle, as tight as she possibly can. She can already feel the circulation being cut off. She knows that she will enjoy each second of this.

She takes out her blade and sees the reflection of her face, whiter than cotton. She stands up and looks over the boat, seeing her reflection from that point of view as well. It's much less clear. That's what she hoped it was; unclear. That way she can stay the forever and won't be seen as the disgrace that she is.

She cuts her wrists, staining the blade. This was the last time she would use it, but definitely not the first. She holds her arms over the boat, watching the crimson drip into the better reflection of herself.

She lifts the block up, careful not to tip the boat. With one swift motion, she jumps out with the block in her hands. Before she hits the water, she lets the concrete mass go, sending her plunging downward into the darkness.

Things are better if I stay, she thinks to herself. Staying here is what she wants.