Status: hiatus until co-author returns(or gives me the go ahead to finish alone.)

Paradise Lost

Sixteen.

The next morning I spent the day in my room. I thought of all the things I could’ve said to Jake and all the things I should’ve said. It happens all too often with Ordinary Gemma. She’s never quick with a comeback and always thinks of it just a little too late. Summer Gemma never had that problem and yet when I’m with Jake, Summer Gemma seems to be hibernating.

I had no one to talk to, no one to explain my case to. None of my friends in this stupid lake town knew the real me and if I told them that I had a problem with a boy they’d laugh in my face and ask me how bad he was at sex.

No, there was only one person I could talk to.

With a loud sigh, I blew the hair that had been sitting on top of my nose away and stood up. I was still in my pajama shorts from the night from before but I doubt she would mind. I left my bedroom, heading down the creaky stairs and sat at the kitchen table across from my mom.

She glanced up from her newspaper and steaming coffee and gave me that kind of warm smile that only mother’s were capable of giving. “Morning, Gemmy,” she said with that mother’s coo. I cringed slightly but smiled in return.

“Mom, I have a dilemma.”

“Is it about a boy?” Her eyes reverted back to the newspaper and she brought her coffee to her lips, letting it hover and the steam drift along her skin.

“Not every issue in the world is about a boy, mom,” I grumbled. “But yes, it’s about a boy.” Without even looking at me she nodded like she just solved the problem of the century.

“Do you like this boy?” That was a fantastic question.

“I don’t know! He’s infuriating. He thinks he’s so smart and whimsical and knows everything about me. He thinks he’s king of the world and just go kissing girls whenever he likes or call them out on things they obviously don’t want to be called out about.”

I stopped when I saw the pensive stare my mom was giving me. I knew that stare. That was the stare that any girl gave any girl that liked a boy. It was a clear stare that said ‘you liiiiike him.’

“Mom, stop.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

Mom. Stop.

“Okay, Gemma. But I think you already have the answer to your problem sweetie. Now do you want some French toast for breakfast?”