Always

005 - Sleep With One Eye Open

“I can’t believe that actually happened, bro,” Oli told Matt as he stormed around the bus two days later, “No way is Mia cheating on you considering she’s in love with you. And there is absolutely no way that she aborted a baby that she wanted more than anything. You’re being dumb and letting some dumb hoe that we don’t even enjoy having around. We only put up with Kristen because she and Mia have been friends forever.”

“What else would the answer be? She had to have done something, Oli. She was healthy. She’s young. And she expects me to believe she just lost the baby? I can’t believe that,” Matt said, “I have to confront her about it. If she thinks I’m going to believe that for one second, she’s dumb. I’m not going home to her.”

“You’re fucking dumb, Matt. But believe what you want,” Oli said and left Matt to stomp through the bus to the back lounge so that he could call his lying girlfriend. At first he had a hard time believing what Kristen had told him, but why would she lie about something like that? She was Mia’s best friend after all. What did she honestly have to gain from telling Matt the awful truth? If she was lying, Matt couldn’t for the life of him figure out her reasoning behind it. No one just lied to lie about something; they were always out for gain. Mia obviously had something to gain, since she was cheating on him she wouldn’t know who the father was and Mia, in all her righteousness, would hate that. Kristen had told him all about that.

“Hello?” A soft, obviously shaken voice answered. And for a split second, Matt thought twice about what he was about to do. He loved Mia, but he just couldn’t let her get away with this. She had killed their child.

“How could you do something like this, Mia?” He asked, his voice soft but still harsh.

“What are you even talking about, Matt? I miscarried our fucking baby. I don’t really know how it happened and neither do the doctors. These things just happen like this sometimes. You would know that if you had read anything about pregnancies at all,” Mia said, mistaking his meaning.

“You’re lying. I know that you aborted the baby and that you’re cheating. How could you do that to her and to me for that matter?!” He accused, his voice raising. Mia was silent on the other end of the phone, which Matt took as her accepting her guilt.

“How could you even accuse me of something like that, Matt?! I would never, ever cheat on you. Nor would I abort a baby that I loved!” She said, her voice sad as she spoke to the man she thought loved her.

“Kristen told me everything, Mia. About how you have a boy back there who’s taking care of you and how you aborted the baby because you didn’t know who it belonged to. I know everything, Mia,” Matt said, his voice menacing from the other end of the line.

“Kristen told you this? Are you fucking kidding me?” Mia screamed as she tried to figure out why she was losing her boyfriend over something her best friend had said.

“Nope. So I guess this is it, because I won’t stay with a cheating baby killer,” Matt said and hung up the phone. And just like that he had thrown years worth of a relationship out the window. Mia just stared at the phone, wondering what the fuck had just happened to her entire life. But she knew what had to be done. She dialed the girl she had called her best friend for 7 years.

“How could you do this to me, Kristen?! We’ve been friends for 7 god damn years,” Mia said, her tears coming to her eyes. She couldn’t believe that this had happened. What in God’s name had she done to deserve the knife that was delicately placed in her back by her best friend and her boyfriend?

“Act like you deserved him, Mia. The real kind of person that Matt needs is someone that will support his music and not tie him down by getting pregnant. You are, obviously, not that kind of person,” Kristen said, her flippant tone pissing Mia off even more.

“Let me guess. That person that Matt deserves is you? Well, you got what you wanted. So make sure that you call him and let him know that you’re all ready for him to come to you as soon as he gets home. We’ve been through a lot. I gave you everything that I could in a friendship except for Matt. You’ve sold yourself out time and time before, but I never, ever thought that you would sell out our friendship so that you could steal my boyfriend from underneath me,” Mia said, her voice oddly calm and collected throughout the whole thing.

“Mia. What you don’t understand is that you brought this all on yourself. You think that you’re so much better than the rest of us, but you’re not. You thought that your love would bring you the entire world on a silver platter. But how wrong you are,” Kristen told her and Mia was seeing red. She honestly couldn’t believe it. Kristen had been there for her when her parents passed and Mia had been there when Kristen’s mom had gotten remarried and when he boyfriend beat her so bad that she wound up in the hospital.

“You’ll have hell to pay if I ever see you anywhere near Matt, Kristen. I don’t care if he leaves me, but you won’t get him. I’ll slit your throat long before you ever get near him. And here I was thinking that best friends meant forever so if I were you, I’d sleep with one eye open,” Mia said before hanging up on the girl that she once called her best friend.

And then she cried herself to sleep on a bed that she doubted she would ever share with the man she loved again.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

this week is going to be so long. i leave for Hawaii one week from today!! Let me know what you thinkkk