Status: Finito

Love Me For Who I Am

1/1

I want someone to love me, For who I am
I want someone to need me, Is that so bad?
I wanna break all the madness, But it’s all I have
I want someone to love me, For who I am.


“¡Mírelo es Iker Casillas!” (Look it’s Iker Casillas!) I heard the girl tell her friend as I spotted them out of the corner of my eye. They were heading towards me as I was walking down the block towards the coffee shop near my apartment. I let out a sigh as I put on a fake smile for the girls. “Hola Iker.” One of the girls said as she continued to ask for an autograph and a picture. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my fans, but some of them just screamed ‘money!money!money!’. These girls looked to be in their mid 20’s, and the way one of them was eyeing me up and down, I felt a bit uncomfortable. She ran her hand down my arm after taking a picture with me. I smiled again, pulling back my arm without making it obvious that I didn’t want her touching me, and excused myself. I left them to their whispering and giggling, finding myself walking faster towards the coffee shop. I finally made it in, being greeted by the same girl that helped me every day that I came in, Megan. That’s all I knew about her. Her name was Megan, and she worked at the local coffee shop. I just knew she was different from the others, she never bothered me more than she had to, and she never, in the year that I’ve been coming here and seeing her, has asked me for an autograph or anything that had to do with my football life; even though I knew for a fact from the keychain that hung from her keys, dangling out of her pocket everyday, that she was a Real fan.

“Hi Iker.” She smiled, greeting me at my table, already prepared with a mug of coffee and a few cookies. I smiled up at her, noticing the glint in her blue eyes.

“Buenas tardes Megan.” She left the table to go help some other customers that had walked in, but I watched her as she glanced back towards me. I gave her a nod before she went back to listening to the customers. I sighed before taking a sip of my coffee, wishing, not for the first time in my life, that I could somehow hide my identity so that I could find someone that didn’t want me for my money, but wanted to know the real me, but that was impossible being who I was in Madrid.

I watched the street from the window as a group of boys, around 10 years old crossed the street. They walked past the coffee shop, one of the little boys running his hand along the window outside, looking in through the window with curious eyes. His eyes fell upon me and widened in surprise. He stopped in his tracks; his friends continued walking without him as I smiled at him. He was shocked, pressing his face against the glass to see if it was really me inside. He grinned and jumped up and down as I let out a chuckle that caught Megan’s attention, she looked over and smiled as the boy ran inside the shop. He ran up to me with a huge smile. He pointed at me before speaking.

“Iker Casillas.” He whispered, looking around, trying to make sure he wasn’t drawing any attention as the door had slammed shut behind him. “Sorry to interrupt you Mr. Casillas, but you’re my favorite Real Madrid player, so I had to come inside, I didn’t want to interrupt you while you were enjoying your free time, but I couldn’t let this opportunity pass by.” I held up my hand stopping him from saying anymore.

“It’s not a problem at all, after all, without my fans, I’m nothing around here. And please, call me Iker.” I grabbed a pen out of my pocket and signed the napkin that was placed in front of me. “What’s your name niño?”

“Raul!” He said excitedly. I smiled down at him as I wrote him a little message, encouraging him to always stay true to himself.

“One of my good friends is named Raul.” He nodded and spoke frantically.

“He’s number 7! I watch him play as well on the television. Iker you’re the best goal keeper in my eyes and I wish one day that I can save enough money to go to one of your matches in Bernabeu and see you, Raul, Guti and Ramos play and then I want to buy one of your jerseys!” I let out a light laugh as he continued to ramble. I handed him the napkin, which he hugged against his chest. I looked over at Megan who was leaning against the counter, watching with a huge smile and a hand over her heart. Just then I had an idea that I knew would make Raul excited, and help me to get to know Megan.

“Raul, will you do me a favor?” I asked as he nodded vigorously.

“Anything.” I smiled and told him the plan that had formed in my head; he agreed to go along with the idea. I looked back up at Megan and waved her over to which she looked at me in horror before I laughed and waved at her to come over again. She hurriedly walked by, saying hi to Raul.

“This is Raul, he’s a huge fan of Real and dreams of going to a game. I’m going to make sure he comes to our next match tomorrow against Bilbao, but you have to go to the match with him Megan, because I’m going to put the two seats under your name. Raul’s just not old enough to have his name placed on the list, and he has informed me that his mother and father both can not attend, and he sadly does not have any older siblings to accompany him.” She looked at me in shock before clearing her throat to respond.

“Iker, I can’t, isn’t there something that yo-“ Raul jumped in on her sentence.

“Please. Please. Please come. How could you say no to Iker Casillas?! Everyone has to see Real play at least once in their lifetime.” He left her with no choice. She looked down at him smiling, agreeing to come. We all figured on a time for Raul to stop by the shop so that Megan could take him over to the stadium for the match. Megan walked over to help a customer that had just walked in, leaving Raul and I to say our goodbyes until the match.

“Gracias Raul.” I held my hand out for a high five, which he gladly gave me.

“Of course Iker! Thank you for getting me to go to the match.”

“No problem, I would’ve had you come even if she said no, but this just gave me a great reason to talk to her my friend.” I ruffled his hair as we said our farewells. Leaving me alone at the table again to my thoughts…sometimes I was grateful that I was famous. Megan walked back, coffee pot in hand to refill my mug.

“So I guess I’m going to the match tomorrow.” She stated rather than asked. I let out a chuckle, earning a little laugh from her, a beautiful one at that.

“Raul really appreciates it.” She smirked before responding.

“I’m sure he does, just because I’m helping a customer doesn’t mean I can’t hear other conversations.” I held my hands up defensively as she pushed at my shoulder.

“You caught me.” I smiled as she took the seat across from me. “I couldn’t think of a better way to talk to you. I want to get to know you.” She blushed as she looked down, ringing her hands.

“I appreciate your honesty Iker, but I’m nothing special.” I reached over and placed my hand over hers, causing her to look up at me.

“I think you are. I want to know you, and your life story. And I want you to know me.”

“I already know you.” I shook my head.

“You know the football me, I want you to know the real me. I just know you’d appreciate me more than any other woman I’ve seen or been around. They all want to know me or be with me for the fame…but I don’t think you do.” She shook her head.

“Are you asking me on a date?” A smirk appeared on her face, it was my turn to blush.

“Only if you say yes.” She pursed her lips into a firm line before nodding her head in acceptance.

“Alright Iker, after the match tomorrow, as a celebration for the win.” She smiled as I held up my mug.

“Of course.”

+++

I was standing in the tunnel, waiting to enter the stadium, I could already hear the crowd roaring with excitement, usually this added to my energy, but today, it just made me anxious. I wanted to walk out and look out into the boxed off VIP section to find Megan. I jumped up and down a few times to calm myself before exiting onto the field behind Raul. I smiled as I looked up and immediately recognized Megan standing up next to Raul, who was staring out to the field, pointing down with joy. I worked harder than I ever had that match. Afterwards, I made sure a few of the guys would stay a little while in the locker room while I went up to get Raul and Megan to come down and introduce Raul to the boys that remained, I knew it would make his day even better.

“Iker that save you made right after the half was amazing! You jumped up and BAM, that guy didn’t even stand a chance!” Raul was speaking so fast, I couldn’t help but to laugh at how cute it was.

“Iker, it was a wonderful match, it looks like we’ll be celebrating a victory tonight.” Megan joined in as I slipped my hand in hers, leading the two of them towards the locker room. Before opening the door, I kneeled down in front of Raul.

“Are you ready to meet some of the other guys?” His eyes widened as he was left speechless, just nodding his head vigorously. I ruffled his hair and stood up, pushing the door open, leading them inside. I noticed Megan blush and turn her head to the side out of the corner of my eye, seeing as some of the guys only had towels wrapped around their waists. “They don’t mind, trust me.” I whispered in her ear as she turned back for me to introduce everyone. Raul, Sergio, Guti, Kaka, and Ronaldo huddled around the three of us, making it easier for me to make introductions. “Raul, this is-“

“I know who they are.” He replied silently before running up to each one of them and shaking their hands, except for Raul, when he came to him, he looked up as Raul bent down in front of him.

“I see we share the same name.” Little Raul smiled and hugged Raul, surprising him at first, but then Raul hugged him back, lifting him up as he stood again. “You know, I have a son the same age as you, you should come meet him sometime, I’m sure he’d love to have a new friend over.” At this statement little Raul looked like he nearly had a stroke. We all laughed as he looked at Raul in shock.

“Really? I would love that! I hope he’ll like me!” Raul nodded in response.

“I’m sure he would.” I introduced Megan to the rest of the guys, who shortly after went over to their lockers, taking little Raul with them to show him around. I stood with Megan, walking over to my locker with her. I had already showered and changed before going to get the two from the VIP room, knowing that I didn’t want to make her wait for me later. I just grabbed my bag and my jersey, walking with her towards Raul.

“Iker, Raul said that he’d take me home to meet Jorge!” I looked up at Raul who gave me an acknowledging nod, letting me know that he would be taken care of and that I could go out with Megan freely. I smiled in thanks and handed little Raul my match jersey that I had gone ahead and signed for him.

“This is for you, because you’re my friend. I know you really wanted one, so you can keep this one, and I look forward to seeing you at more matches, your name will always be on the list.” He jumped up from where he was sitting, full of excitement, hugging my waist.

“Thanks for everything Iker.” I nodded as I stood back, taking Megan’s hand once again before hearing Sergio yell from the other side of the locker room as a football went flying by, knocking into Kaka’s locker.

“¡Ay Raulito! ¡Vamos!”

“¡Ramos!” Kaka yelled with a smile on his face. They both ran towards the ball, little Raul pulling at Cris and Guti’s hands to come pass with the other two while Raul went ahead to take a shower after saying goodbye to Megan and I. Megan looked up at me smiling before I pulled her towards the door.

“You know you just made him happy for the rest of his life right?” I nodded at her.

“I know, and I wish I could do that for all the kids that want this…but I can’t, so I do it for the ones that I can, like Raul.” She huddled closer to me as a cool breeze caused her to get goosebumps on her skin. I wrapped my arm around her as we reached my car. “We’ll pick your car up later, don’t worry.”

“Okay. You know,” She started as I took my seat in the car next to her, starting it and revving the engine. She reached her hand over the center console, taking my free hand and lacing our fingers. “I’m glad I took the chance to get to know the real you, and not the one everyone talks about or writes about.” She smiled at me again before leaning her head back against the headrest.

“I am too, nena. I am too.” I smiled, staring ahead at the road as I drove towards the restaurant we were going to have our first date at, thinking to myself that I’d finally found someone to love me for who I am.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes I know that's a Nick Jonas song, no I do not care that it is lol. I really liked the meaning. I hope you guys liked it! Especially you Megan. <3