I Love to Hate You

Treinta!

Courtney and I used to be friends. We got along, hung out on occasions, and even had sleepovers. We used to cut our Barbies' hair with scissors together and we used to play at recess. But after middle school, she went to the popular side and left me completely in the dust, which just added to my parents' untimely death.

I'm only saying this so I don't seem like a stalker because I know where she lives. It was well past three now, so I hoping she'll be there.

With a sigh of relief when I see her car, I hurry to the door and knock. I didn't know exactly what I'd say to her, what I'd ask, but I had to talk to her. To understand why she hates me and why she said all those things on that night that seems so long ago.

The door opens to the length of the chain lock and the familiar face of Courtney pokes out. She takes one look at me, my red cheeks from the cold and my slightly puffy eyes from crying, and slams the door. Taken aback, I realize that she was just unlocking the chain. The door is thrown open and Courtney launches herself at me into a very painful hug.

"Oh" sob. "My" sob. "God" sob. "Norah!" Sob. "I'msosorryNorah! Ididn'tmeanforanyofthattohappen! Pleasedon'thateme!"

"Courtney, you're hurting me. I'm still fragile." I manage to get out in a pained voice.

"Oh! Sorry!" She's still crying and shaking and looking at me with huge eyes. "Come in, come in!" She steps into the house and moves aside for me to come in.

The house was just as magnificent as it was the last I was here in eighth grade. With high ceilings and hardwood floors, the place gave me a strong feeling of nostalgia. Following her to the kitchen, we sit at the breakfast bar.

"Do you want something to drink?" Courtney asks, looking slightly putout.

"Does your mom still buy those juice boxes? You know, the ones we used to drink all the time before we went in your pool. Your mom used to get so upset because she didn't want us getting stomach cramps while swimming. We still went in and regretted it later." I give a small laugh. Courtney smiles.

"Yeah." Pulling two out of the fridge, she hands one to me. "So, h-how are you?" She says, still crying a little.

"I've been better. But I'm not as bad as I was last week. Can't sleep on my sides. Not my stomach either, I suppose. So I haven't had a good sleep in a while. But, I have a few questions."

"A-anything."

"Why do you hate me? What did I do to make you say those things?" I say, tears beginning to form under my eyes, not yet to the brim.

"I-I guess I was drunk and jealous that you and Will have been spending so much time together. I thought there was something going on. So it all just came out and it kept coming. Word vomit."

"So. You don't hate me then?" Letting a few tears fall.

"No."

"Then why did you completely forget about me when we came to Rosewood High? We used to be so close. Then after my parents died, you left me alone and hurting."

"I didn't know what to do with you. I didn't want to be anyone's support system. I didn't want to be your sole foundation, even if you had Rick. My parents always said that he had a gambling problem, so I knew he wouldn't be much help. My fifteen-year-old mind couldn't take it."

I ponder this over, then sigh. So, she didn't want my baggage. That's completely normal. I wouldn't want anyone's baggage either. But I felt so alone. So hurt. And then her whole blowout at the Party. It's not completely her fault though.

"Y-you don't h-hate me, do you?" She asks, hiccuping and crying.

"I can't hate you. It wasn't completely your fault. But can we be friends? No more name calling or low-blows. Friends like we used to be?"

"Sure."

We spent a while after that talking about our past memories. Then she drove me home. It was nice to have someone besides Rick on my side. Now if I could just talk to Will before moving.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D second one!