I Love to Hate You

Thirty-One!

Rick was sitting at the table shifting through papers when I walked in. Trying to be discreet and incognito-like, I tip-toe up the stairs. I'm about halfway there when Rick calls.

"I know you're there, Norah. We need to have a talk."

"Shit." I mumble as I clamber nosily down the stairs and into the kitchen. Rick looks much older under the florescent kitchen lights. He had bags under his eyes and his hair fell lifelessly around his head. He looked extremely tired and stressed. A pang of guilt hits in my stomach because I know I caused it all.

"Have a seat." He motions to the chair across from him, not looking up from his papers.

I plop down and stare curiously at the papers, willing my eyes to see through them and read their words. After a moment of silence only broken by shuffling, Rick looks up at me and smiles a noticeably forced smile.

"Norah, I know that you don't want to move. You only have the rest of this year until you go to college, but I have to make sure that you are safe. That means that you can't go wandering around here without telling me exactly where you are going. Remember what happened last time?"

I lost my voice. I still wasn't completely comfortable talking about what happened just ten days earlier. I nod my head sharply to let him know I understood. My trial was dawning nearer and I didn't know if I'd be ready to stand in front of all those people at tell my story.

"I didn't mean to bring it up, I know it makes you uncomfortable, but I need to know you're going to be okay." He gives me a halfhearted smile, then shuffles through the papers some more.

"What are those?" I ask curiously.

"Mostly my new work schedule, but some of it is a two-year lease on the house. I'm just going through and making sure I have everything right. Your trial is in six days, Kiddo. We have to get everything packed because we live a day after that."

I let that sink in. In six days, I'll be facing my captures and see what they were thinking. I was scared out of my mind, what if they tried something and the police couldn't stop them? I knew I was being ridiculous, but my mind didn't care if it was impossible the things it was thinking of, it thought them anyway.

"How's your cast?" I had forgotten about my cast. It seemed like nothing was there, besides a ten pound weight.

"It's fine. It's annoying, but we're managing." I patted the ugly plaster cast and smiled at Rick. "Well, I'm going to go pack. I'll catch you later." I smile and head up the stairs, slowly of course.

I just had to wait a little and everything will work out, hopefully with Will, but sometimes we have no control over those things. I guess we'll see soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMFG! If the original readers are still reading this, I love you with my whole being. I know I haven't updated in the longest time. I've had terrible writer's block, plus I had a few problems at school to deal with. But I'm back, and I'm working on ending this story and starting its sequel. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for still reading.

And to the newcomers, you are awesome. Don't forget!