Status: I am a terrible human being who went on hiatus without telling anybody! But I'm back now and writing more for you wonderful people!

In Her Eyes Lies Her Heart

What do these things mean?

Mr. Weasley led them quickly through the forest, as though trying to escape the scene behind them.
“Ron, what happened to the others,” he asked.
“We lost them in the dark,” said Ron. “Dad, why was everyone so uptight about that skull thing?”
“We can explain back at the tent,” said the red-eyed girl, who had reappeared suddenly by Harry’s shoulder. “But for now we need to get back to camp as quickly as possible.” She seemed completely at ease, despite her grave words, as if she dealt with destruction and chaos on a regular basis.
Harry was looking forward to settling into the sofa in the tent, but when they reach the edge of the wood their progress was impeded. A large crowd of frightened-looking witches and wizards had congregated there, and when they saw Mr. Weasley coming towards them, many of them surged forward.
“What's going on in there?”
“Who conjured it?”
“Arthur--it's not—him?”
“Of course it's not him,” said Mr. Weasley impatiently. “We don't know who it was; it looks like they Dissaparated. Now excuse me please, I want to get to bed.”
He led Harry Ron and Hermione through the crowd and back to the campsite. All was quiet now; there was no sign of masked wizards, though several ruin tents were still smoking.
Charlie's head was poking out of the boy’s tent.
“Dad what's going on?” he called through the dark. “Fred, George and Ginny got back okay, but the others—“
“I've got them here,” said Mr. Weasley. “And an extra that I found with them.”
Charlie looked past Mr. Weasley and the trio and stared. “Eve?” His face broke into a smile, and he ran to her. “Eve! It’s so good to see you.” He picked her up in a hug and swung her around, laughing. “Where have you been, Bill and I missed you so much when you left.”
Harry was shocked to see Charlie pouting like a child.
The girl, Eve, smiled. “I’ve been around, and the details are none of your business,” she added, when he opened his mouth to question her. “Now, where is my sweet Bill?”
Eve and Charlie followed Mr. Weasley, Harry and the others into the tent.
Bill was sitting at the small kitchen table holding a bed sheet to his arm, which was bleeding profusely. Charlie had a large rip in his shirt, and Percy was sporting a bloody nose. Fred, George, and Ginny looked unhurt, though shaken. Bill smiled when he saw Eve walk in behind Charlie.
“Eve!” he went to get up, but she motioned for him to stay seated.
"What have you gotten yourself into, Bill?"She pulled up a chair beside him, and began tending to his wounded arm.
"Its just a scratch," He said smiling. "What about you, where have you been?"
"I'll tell you later," said Eve, "When we aren't in a smoking campground."
Bill nodded and turned to his father. “Did you get them, dad?” said Bill sharply. “The person who conjured the Mark?”
“No,” said Mr. Weasley. “We found Barty Crouch ‘s elf holding Harry's wand, but we're none the wiser about who actually conjured the mark.” He sat, tiredly. “But I did find Eve here. She had gathered these three in the clearing where it happened.”
“What?” said Bill, Charlie and Percy together.
“Harry's wand?” said Bill.
“Mr. Crouches elf?” said Percy, sounding thunderstruck.
With some assistance from Harry Ron and Hermione and Eve, Mr. Weasley explained what happened in the woods. When they finish their story Percy swelled indignantly.
“Well Mr. crouch is quite right to get rid of an elf like that,” he said. “ running away when he expressly told her not to… embarrassing him in front of the whole ministry… how would that have looked if she'd been brought up in front of the department for the regulation and control—“
“She didn't do anything – she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Hermione snapped at Percy, who looked very taken aback. Hermione had always gotten on fairly well with Percy-- better indeed than any of the others.
“Hermione, a wizard in Mr. Crouch’s position can't afford a house elf who is going to run amuck with a wand,” said Percy pompously, recovering himself.
“She didn't run amok,” shouted Hermione. “She just picked it up off the ground!”
“Look, can someone just explain what that skull thing was?” said Ron, impatiently. “It wasn't hurting anyone… why’s it such a big deal?”
“I told you, it's you-know-who’s symbol, Ron.” Said Hermione before anyone else could answer. “I read about it in The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts,”
“And it hasn't been seen for 13 years,” said Eve, who had finished with Bill’s arm and was sitting with her feet in his lap. “Of course people panicked. It was almost like seeing You-know-who back in power again.”
“I don't get it” said Ron, frowning. “I mean… it's still only a shape in the sky …”
“Ron, you-know-who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they committed murder.” said Mr. Weasley. “The terror it inspired… you have no idea, you're too young…”
“Just picture coming home one night and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house and knowing what you're about to find inside.” Said Eve. “Knowing that your parents or children or spouse is dead on the floor.”
“It was everyone's worst fear… the very worst.” Mr. Weasley finished.
There was silence for a moment. Then Bill, checking on his newly healed cut, said, “well it didn't help us tonight, whoever conjured it. It scared the Death Eaters away the moment they saw it. They all disapparated before we got near enough to unmask any of them. We caught the Robertses before they hit the ground, though. They're having their memories modified right now.”
“Death eaters?” said Harry. “what are Death Eaters?”
“It's what you-know-who’s supporters call themselves.” said Eve. “I think we saw whats left of them tonight—the ones who managed to keep themselves out of Azkaban, anyway.”
“We can't prove it was them Eve” said Mr. Weasley. “Though it probably was” he added hopelessly.
“Yeah I bet it was!”said Ron, suddenly. “Dad, we met Draco Malfoy in the woods, and he as good as told us his dad was one of those nutters in masks! And we all know the Malfoys were right in with you-know-who!”
“But what were Voldemort’s supporters--” Harry began. Everybody but Eve flinched-- like most of the wizarding world, the Weasleys always avoided saying Voldemort's name. “Sorry,” said Harry quickly. “What were you-know-who’s supporters up to, levitating Muggles? I mean what's the point?
“The point?”said Mr. Weasley with a hollow laugh. “Harry, that's their idea fun. Half the Muggle killings back when you-know-who was in power were done for fun. I suppose they had a few drinks tonight and couldn’t resist reminding us that lots of them are still large. A nice little reunion for them.” he finished disgustedly.
“But if they were the Death Eaters, why did they disapparate when they saw the Dark Mark?” said Ron. “They'd have been pleased to see it, wouldn't they?”
“Use your brain, Ron,” said Bill. if they really were Death Eaters, they worked very hard to keep out of Azkaban when you-know-who lost power, and told all sorts of lies about him forcing them to Kill and torture people. I bet they'd be even more frightened than the rest of us to see him come back. They denied they'd ever been involved with him when he lost his powers and went back to their daily lives… I don't reckon he'd be overly pleased with them, do you?”
“So… whoever conjured the Dark Mark…” said Hermione slowly. “Were they doing it to show support for the Death Eaters or to scare them away?”
“Your guess is as good as ours, Hermione,”said Mr. Weasley. “But I'll tell you this… it was only the Death Eaters who ever knew how to conjure it. I'd be very surprised if the person who did it hadn't been a Death Eater once, even if they're not now… Listen it's very late and if your mother hears what happened she’ll be worried sick. We’ll get a few more hours sleep and then try and get an early portkey out of here.”
Ginny and Hermione opted to stay in the boys tent, in case anything else happened. So Harry and Charlie gave up their bunks and took the floor instead. Eve said she’d leave with them in the morning, then left the tent. Harry lay down on the rug with his head buzzing. He knew he ought to feel exhausted: It was nearly 3 in the morning, but he felt wide-awake-- wide-awake and worried. Three days ago-- it felt like much longer, but it had only been three days—he had awoken with his scar burning. and tonight, for the first time in 13 years, Lord Voldemort’s mark had appeared in the sky. And now some 16 year old girl with red eyes appears, who is close friends with Rons older brothers, but Ron had never seen her before. What did these things mean?
♠ ♠ ♠
Not bad for two hours work if i do say so myself :) Its a lot straight from the book, so i feel the need to say All due copyrights to J.K. Rowling, as usual. 34 readers and 3 subscribers, hope youre enjoying so far :) if i have any grammatical, spelling, or puncuational errors please let me know and I'll fix it :)