Status: one shot, finished.

1923

The Beginning and The End

It was the summer of 1923 when Tessa Conhan visited Hyde Park for the first time in a few years. She was 6 the first time she had been there, and then didn’t go until August 17, 1923 when she was 17 years young. She loved just sitting on a bench and watching people walk by.

Tessa had a condition called prosopagnosia, it means you cannot recognize people by their face, and her parents wouldn’t take her outside for fear she would embarrass them by not recognize certain important people. Tessa always stayed at home, so she wouldn’t get to know people, so she wouldn’t forget their face. Every once in a while Tessa snuck out of the house and stole away to a place she reads about. Hyde Park.

She was walking around and came to The Serpentine, a lake. She walked to the shore and noticed a small white boat floating gently in the water. She approached and sat inside trying not to get her dress wet. She rowed backward, while enjoying the beautiful view of the long grass swaying gently in the wind.

Tessa Conhan was a slender girl, she had to be. Her mother was the wife of the Senator. She was an only child, and had to be ideal. She wasn’t ideal because of her condition, but since Mrs. Conhan couldn’t have any more children they tried to make Tessa into the best person they could aside from her condition. She wore a corset all day, and to sleep. Mrs. Conhan would tighten it every day. This is why Tessa was slim. Tessa had light blonde hair, almost white since she never was in light, and her nose littered with soft freckles. She had piercing clear blue eyes. Staring into them was like swimming in the sea. Her lips were rosy and smooth; when they parted they revealed straight pearly teeth. With a dazzling smile, she was the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen.

Miss Conhan rowed backwards in the little boat around the lake for a while. Then she bumped into a boat behind her, and she felt incredibly sorry. She was so embarrassed and apologized a countless amount of times when she saw a scratch on my boat. I looked into her eyes, and even if I was upset about the scratch, there would be no possible way to be mad at her. In fact, I knew right then that I had fallen in love with her. I needed those eyes to look at me affectionately. I didn’t even address her apologies.

“Hi, I’m Brian Wright,” I said with a shy smile. She looked surprised.

“Um, Tessa Conhan.”

“Nice to meet you,” I coaxed.

“Um, same to you. Sorry, I’m not used to talking to people,” she looked down and her cheeks pinked a little.

“Would you like to take a walk with me around the park?” There was no stopping me. I needed this girl.

“Is that what normal people do?” she chuckled and nodded. We rowed toward the shore.

☼☼☼

“Hi, Tessa!” I saw her roaming the streets and I needed to talk to her again. The day at the park was so magical. She had a beautiful personality.

“Um… Hello?” she squinted at my face. I stepped back with an awful questioning look upon my face.

“Remember me? Brian? We were at the park together Wednesday.” I introduced myself.

“Oh! I’m so sorry. I had a great time,” she shrugged one of her shoulders, gave me a half smile, and looked at the ground.

“Yeah, me too… I’m just gonna come right out and say it. I think you are the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen,” I blurted out. This is how I get the ladies. The non-existent ladies; but if I had ladies, that’s how I would get them.

“Oh…. I don’t think you should chase me. I can’t recognize people’s faces. Unless you tell me who you are, I won’t know. It’s nothing I’m proud of. I have to sneak to get out of my home. My parents are ashamed of me. I’m not worth it.” when she said that, my heart broke.

“I don’t care, I’ll tell you who I am. I want you to be mine, I need you to be mine. I’d be the proudest man alive to carry you on my arm.”

I raised her eyes to mine, and sliced straight into my soul with those eyes. I had no idea what she was going to say. She was murdering me, making me wait for 10 seconds. I held my breath, caught in her gaze.

“I read about love at first sight. Is that what this is?” she whispered.

I reached forward and cupped my hands on her jaw line and pulled her toward me ever so gently. I approached her and she approached me. Our breath intertwined, and all else was forgotten.

☼☼☼

August 17, 1943
Dear Diary,

Today is the anniversary of Brian and my wedding. We were together for 18 years. It started on that Wednesday, August, 17, 1923. I was only 19 when I got married to him. He accepted me. And he was the only person whom I could see his face. Always. I always could recognize him. Today Brian died of aggressive cancer. No one really knows what that is, but it’s scary. He was very sick for a long time, and today he told me he loved me, and he said goodbye to Elizabeth Anne, our daughter of 7 years. She hasn’t stopped crying. They were so close. I must go now, to be with our little Lizzy.
Love, Tessa Conhan Wright
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry, not very long or quality. )':