Animal I Have Become

Expecto Patronum

It was a bright Monday morning and the great hall was buzzing with the sound of Hogwarts students talking over breakfast and going over they’re new time tables. The Gryffindor 5th years had Herbologie first thing. The plump jolly woman named Madam Pomfrey decided to start the year with a nice easy lesson , squishing thee puss out of bubotubers.

Madam Pomfrey was quick to remind the class not to get the puss on your skin as it causes horrible boils . James and Sirius both looked at each other with an all knowing smirk. James then casually whispered without moving his lips.
“I think we should save some of this for snivellus”
James stole an abandoned jar from under the table and started to pour some of the puss into it. the puss was lumpy and gooey and smelt of peters breath . He would save this for later.

That afternoon The Gryffindor and Slytherin’s both had Defence against the dark arts and nobody was more excited than Sirius. Although Sirius didn’t mix with dark magic and did his best to alienate himself from his pure blood loving family , he was still fascinated by the dark arts. No subject was “cooler” in his opinion. Sirius scoffed his dinner down quickly (still not quite as quick as peter who had 2 rounds of everything and a chocolate cake with a mound of ice cream).

Everyone arrived at defense against the dark arts class on time and today’s lesson was dedicated to mastering the patronus charm. The students watched with they’re eyes transfixed and they’re mouths wide open as the professor demonstrated the patronus in front of them.
“Expecto Patronum!!” he bellowed and a huge wild panther ran around the classroom in a puff of blue smoke.
The charm wore off and the panther disappeared.
“Very tricky charm to master but I believe with my help and your determination you will be able to produce a full patronum charm by the end of this year ,if not before Christmas.” Said the professor.
There were a few loud sniggers and students rolling they’re eyes thinking it would probably take them the rest of they’re years in Hogwarts to get the patronus right.
James on the other hand was wearing a smug grin and nodding to himself thinking he could probably conjure a patronus in his sleep with his wand stuck up his arse.
“Now c’mon everyone, really it’s not as hard as it looks. here ill show you.” The professor looked around the class and then stopped , closing his gaze onto Peter Pettingrew.
“You there, what’s your name boy?”
“Uh…Peter.” he squeaked looking guilty as he tried to hide the biscuits in his hand . He squishes the biscuit tight and the jam oozed onto his fingers.
“Peter please come up to the front of the class, you can be the first to show your fellow students how its done”
“No fanks”
“Now now don't be afraid peter, I’ll help you”The professor smiled kindly.
Peter sighed looking fed up and miserable. He eventually got out of his chair with great difficulty rocking back and forth to try and find his balance as he stood up. Peter was just as tall vertically as he was horizontally and his clothes were always a few sizes to small for him. As he got out of his chair the girl sitting behind him got a terrible view as she saw the top of his spotty arse crack hanging out of his pants .
She put her hands over her mouth in disgust.
Peter woddled his way to the front of the class stuffing his crushed biscuit into his back pocket and searching for his wand with his fat sticky fingers.
“Right then peter, I want you to think of the happiest memory you can think of and I want you to allow it to fill you up inside, can you do that for me?.”
James sniggers could be heard from across the classroom. He then whispered to Sirius.
“I don’t think he needs filling up anymore”
Sirius smirked then continued to watch Peter knowing too well that at any moment he was going to mess things up badly and make a fool of himself.
Peter and the professor ignored the comment and continued.
Peter closed his eyes so tight his expression turned into a scowl, he then pointed his wand forward.
“Right then, when you’re ready I want you to repeat the words e-x-p-e-c-t-o P-a-t-r-o-n-u-m , got it?”
Peter nodded and though long and hard about a book his grandmother had read to him as a child. He imagined himself going to a chocolate factory where everything was edible. This to Peter was heaven. He imagined himself swimming in the sea of chocolate milk and climbing chocolate trees and licking the candy covered rainbow. He would skip along joyfully across the chocolate meadow where the chocolate birds would sing and he could watch the chocolate sun setting. A friendly mob of oompa loompas would circle around him holding hands and singing his name while he sank to the ground making chocolate syrup angels with a huge dopey smile on his face.
“Exbecter potronom” He squeaked but nothing happened apart from a small spark of blue flickering out of his wand
The professor clapped but everyone else looked disappointed and bored by now.
“Well done peter that was very close, very close indeed…you can return to your seat now”
Peter gazed up in the air still half dreaming while he walked to his desk and flumped onto his seat.
“Right lets have one more shall we”
“Mmmmmm” came the mumblings off the classroom who were now finding it difficult to stay awake.
The professor once again looked around the classroom but this time gazed down upon Remus Lupin.
“Well there’s no need to ask your name Remus” the professor smiled
“Dumbledore has spoken very highly of you, care to give us a quick demonstration”
Remus went slightly pink as all eyes fell on him. Lily gave him a reassuring smile but this did not calm his nerves.
He discreetly got up from his chair and walked up to the front of the class clutching his arm apprehensively. He then took out his wand , pointed and closed his eyes pretending there was nobody there watching him.
Remus allowed his mind to wonder to the happiest he had ever felt. There wasn’t a lot of moments to choose from as Remus led quite a lonely life and shut him self away from everyone. He wasn’t a nasty person nor angry . Remus was the exact opposite, he was kind hearted and polite yet tense and troubled. The only happy memory Remus possessed was during a dream ,So he decided to use it.
He was stood outside in the dead of night staring up at the full moon . There was s smile on his face because for the first time in his life he was like everyone else, he was normal. He wasn’t afraid anymore and he would never have to be. He joined his friends back in Hogwarts castle , he had finally found happiness and was able to accept who he was.
“Expecto patronum” He shouted
A Grey wolf pounced down from Remus’s wand through the glowing blue sparks and across the class room just like the professors panther had done. Remus held on tight to his wand in disbelief to what he was doing. He never believed that he of all people would have been able to conjure the patronus charm as perfectly as the professor had done on the first lesson. Remus turned to the professor. He was smiling and laughing. Remus then glanced at the students who were, to his relief not staring at him but instead staring at the wolf. When the wolf finally vanished the attention went back to Remus as he tucked his wand away and looked towards the floor hopeing he could go and sit back onto his chair without another word.
“My goodness Remus you did it! That was absolutely perfect! 30 points to Gryffindor”
The Gryffindor side of the class room looked very satisfied by this., unlike the Slytherines who sat scowling in rage.
"Anyone with half a brain could do that" Severus snape muttered under his breath.
Remus went back to sit in his chair while the professor went on to explain what the homework for next week would be.
When Remus had sat down Sirius tapped him on the shoulder.
“When the bloody hell did you learn that? it was amazing!”
"Thank you"
Remus turned back around to face the front of the class and smiled to himself .
♠ ♠ ♠
Image