Earthquake

Emerson

She's all alone again

Alone. I couldn't be alone in that hotel room any longer. So I left.

Here I am at my sister's house. The sister I stopped talking to years ago. The sister I cut out of my life. My only sister. Angela.

Did she hate? I would. But I had to do it. I had to move on; I had to get rid of my old life. The only part of it that I had kept was Frankie. I wish I hadn't. I wish I hadn't put him through all that pain.

An awkward silence filled the room. Angela and I sat in her living room, staring at each other, unsure of what to say.

"Why are you here?" she demanded harshly.

"I-I didn't know where else to go," I said looking down at my hands.

"You haven't talked to me in four years Emerson!" Angela was shouting now; I could feel her anger fill the room.

"I'm sorry," I said weakly, my lip had begun to bleed because of my anxious biting.

"You just left! How could you leave me like that?"

"I had to get away. I couldn't be here anymore; not after Mom and Dad left." My voice was quiet and hard.

"You could have tried! Mom and Dad didn't go away Emerson! They died! Why can't you stop running and accept that?"

Her screaming got louder. It was too much to bare. My lip stung and the taste of blood was in my mouth. I stood up and headed towards the door.

"Because it's all my fault Angela. I killed them!" I shouted over my shoulder to her.

Tears filled my eyes as I remembered the screeching of tires, the thud of bodies flying forward, and the sickening crunch of breaking bones. It was my fault. I hurt them. Just like how I hurt everyone I loved. Just like how I hurt Frank.

Wiping the tears from her eyes
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?