Lyrical Lies

The Hardest Part of This is Leaving You

My name is Violet Fox and I see colors. I don't just see them, I hear them and feel them and taste them too.

My sister's name was Heather; it was a pale pink name. It was delicate and soft, just like her. The colors around Heather were always so delicate and gentle; where as, around me, there is a cacophony of harsh, loud colors.

We were always so different, Heather and I, which was strange because we were suppose to be identical. I always knew we weren't though. She was so calm and kind, and I am stubborn and loud. Her voice tasted like strawberries, sweet and succulent. While mine is bitter and tart, like cranberries. I miss the taste of her voice and feel of her colors.

"Violet?" called out a wind chime voice. It was my mother, Clara, her name used to be a beautiful periwinkle but it had changed to a dull blue grey because of the sadness.

She missed Heather too.

"I'm worried about you. I want you to be happy again. I want you to be able to start over. I won't be able to do it with you; I have my job and I can't leave, but you can Violet."

I looked at her puzzled.

"You remember Mikey and Gerard don't you?"

Of course I remembered. The blue of their names stopped me from forgetting my neighbours, and my best friends. I missed them when they left.

"Well Donna and I were both thinking that maybe you could stay with them and their band for a little while. They would love to have you and it would be a great chance to start over."

I watched my mother. The wind chimes were so quiet, just like her colors. She was fading; thats why she wanted me to leave. She didn't want me to watch her fade.

***

I sat on the porch with my mom waiting for Gerard and Mikey to come and take me away. Neither of us talked; I didn't want her to talk. The wind chimes were disappearing and it scared me.

Suddenly, a car pulled up and out came Mikey and Gerard. They looked different, but what else could I expect, I hadn't seen them in three years. Their voices were the same though, I realized when Mikey called out my name in his marshmallow voice. Gerard came over and lifted me up into a hug.

"I missed you Violet."

"I missed you too Gee," I said smiling at the chocolaty taste his voice gave me.

"I missed you most," said Mikey. His words were squishy and soft.

It wasn't until then that I realized how much I actually missed them. I missed the way their colors enveloped me and kept me safe. I missed the way their words tasted when they spoke and the way their smiles tickled my skin.

I was so happy to be leaving with them, but sad at the same time. I would miss my mom's wind chime voice and periwinkle name. I would miss Heather's grave. I would miss getting up early every morning to put a single pink rose on the dirt that covered her. Yet, somehow I think I'll be happy for the first time in three months, for the first time since Heather left.

"Are you ready?" asked Gerard ten minutes later, after I had said goodbye to my mother.

I nodded.

On the way out of the city we stopped at the graveyard so I could put one last rose on Heathers grave.

I walk forward slowly, I felt guilty that I was leaving Heather, that this was her last rose.

Carefully, I placed the pink rose on the ground and watched the pale colors bringing life back to Heathers grave.

"Goodbye Heather. I miss your strawberries," I said as a tear escaped my eye.

With that I turned and left. I headed to Mikey and Gerard to start my new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
feedback?