Lyrical Lies

Never Coming Home

I woke up and turned over. Bert was lying next to me on my bed. He had taken all of my blankets. I was freezing.

"Violet?" a happy voice called out.

I looked over to see Frank enter my room. His smile fell when he saw Bert lying next to me.

"Oh. Never mind," he said quietly before he walked out.

I watched his back as he left. His colors weren't as bright as they were when he came in.

***

Bert grabbed my hand and pulled me downstairs.

"You're going to make me breakfast. I want pancakes! Can you put berries on them? But not raspberries, because they have to many seeds and-"

"Bert?" said Mikey looking up from his cereal.

"Why are you here?" Bob asked him.

"I had a sleepover with Violet!"

Everyone stared at him. Silence filled the room.

"What....Eww! NO! Not that kind of a sleep over!" Bert shouted, dropping my hand as realization struck him.

"Good," laughed Gerard.

I heard a noise coming from the stairs. I turned my head to see Frank walk in. He didn't look at me, instead he glared at Bert.

Bert cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"Um...I'm gonna go now..." he said looking at Frank.

"I thought you were going to stay for breakfast?" I asked.

"No. I should go."

Bert headed for the door as the phone started to ring. Gerard got up to answer it.

A few minutes later he placed the phone in my hand.

"Violet," he whispered. "My mom wants to talk to you."

Why was he whispering? His colors were so gentle and soft. He seemed concerned.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone.

"Oh Violet, I'm so sorry,"

"What?"

Why was she sorry? What was wrong?

"Your mother passed away last night."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?