Lyrical Lies

Standing in the Rain

I sat there like a ghost, swinging back and forth on the creaky old swing set in the deserted park. The sound of the raindrops echoed through my head as their splashes sent rainbow splatters across my eyes.

I was wet and miserable. I wanted to go home, but I couldn't. My numb body wouldn't let me move from the swing set.

More tears fell as I sat there thinking about Frank. How would he have been so heartless? Did he know I loved him? Was he taunting me; showing me what I could never have?

A hand touched my shoulder, "Violet?"

It was Bert.

"Are you okay? What are you doing here in the rain?"

I didn't answer. I couldn't answer; I didn't know what to say.

"What happened?" asked Bert as he bent down so that he could look at me.

His voice rang with concern.

"Come on," he said, pulling me off the swing. "I'll take you home."

***

We entered the house to screams. It was Gerard and Frank. Fighting about me.

Bert looked at me confused.

"Stay right here. I'll go talk to them," he said gently to me.

The voices stopped as soon as Bert entered the kitchen. A few seconds later Gerard came out and pulled me into a tight hug.

"You're so cold, Violet. Come, lets get some dry clothes," he said pulling me up stairs.

"Bye, Bert. Thanks," he called over his shoulder to Bert, who was heading out the door.

Walking up the stairs, I heard Frank's door slam shut. I flinched.

Gerard held my shoulder protectively and steered me to my room. I sat down on my bed as he looked through my drawers for warm clothes.

Gerard handed me some clothes and gave me one last hug and left my room. Pulling on my shirt and pants, I couldn't help but think about Frank in the room next to mine.

I sat on my bed for a few minutes not wanting to go downstairs. Not wanting to talk about what happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?