With These Words

Don't wait.

“Kyle, listen,” I said into the phone. I flicked my bangs out of my eyes and adjusted the hem of my yellow shirt. “I told you I’d be down in a minute.”

He laughed. “Georgia, I’ve been sitting in the parking lot for almost fifteen minutes.”

“Patience is a virtue,” I reminded him as I studied my reflection in the mirror. I had no idea what to expect. I never knew what to expect with him.

“Georgia…” he clicked his tongue. “If we don’t hurry we’re going to miss band practice.”

I stopped messing with my hair. “We’re going to band practice?”

“Yeah. Thursdays at noon.”

“Hmm….” I dug around in my bathroom for some bobby pins. “I guess I was kind of thinking you’d plan something elaborate or whatever.”

“You’re getting to know me, Georgia,” he laughed. “Not my wallet.”

“I know, I know,” I blushed. “I just…well never mind. I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Good,” he chuckled. “I’m parked right by the door.”

I ended the call and slipped on my flip flops.

“Hey, we match!” Kyle announced as I climbed inside his jeep. He adjusted his bright yellow sweatshirt.

“Oh?” I buckled my seat belt and looked at my shirt. “Nice.”

He put his car in reverse and pulled out of the parking lot. “I thought we could stop by the bakery,” He glanced at me. “I’m in the mood for some sprinkles.”

“Can’t,” I sighed and rolled down the window. I stuck my arm outside. “I called in sick.”

“Why didn’t you just tell her you’re taking the day off to have some fun?” He laughed.

“Because,” I shrugged. “I don’t like tainting my record.”

He rolled his eyes and chuckled to himself.

“Does band practice last long?” I asked studying the blurry yellow line the divided the road.

He shrugged. “It depends really. Sometimes there’s a lot more sitting then playing. Or eating. Or sometimes we order pizza and watch a movie,” He smiled.

“Sounds productive.”

“Oh, it is,” he smiled again. “And I know you’re going to love it.”

“It’s at your house?”

“Nope,” He pulled up to a stop sign. “Jonathan’s.”

“Oh,” I nodded. I liked the familiarity of Kyle’s beige ‘L’ shaped couch.

“His basement is super tiny, but hey,” he shrugged. “It’s a place to practice, right?” he looked at me. “If we did it anywhere else people would complain about the noise.”

“Even though your big time rock stars?” I playfully punched his shoulder.

“You try explaining that to the ninety year old man who lives next door,” he retaliated by poking me in the side.

I laughed drummed my fingers on the side of the car. I wanted to soak everything in today. I knew at the end of the day Kyle would want some sort of answer about my feelings for him. I just hoped I could untangle my thoughts before tonight.

“This is Jonathan’s?” I asked as Kyle pulled up behind a shiny red motorcycle.

“Yeah,” Kyle cut the engine and hopped out of the car. “Well this half of the condo at least,” he pointed to the side with overgrown grass and absolutely no sign of landscaping love.

I nodded and looked around at the rest of freshly manicured lawns. It definitely stood out. “That’s Jonathan’s too?” I asked pointing to the bike.

“No,” he headed up the driveway. “Well, Jonathan has one, but that’s Caleb’s. He bought it like a month ago,” he glanced at me over his shoulder. “One of those ‘on a whim’ purchases.”

“Ah,” I nodded again and followed him into the house. I couldn’t picture Caleb, with his fluffy ginger hair, riding around on a bike. But I couldn’t picture Jonathan riding around on one either.

“Hello?” Kyle yelled pushing the door closed behind me.

“Hey,” Jonathan poked his head out from the kitchen. He had a phone pressed to his ear. “You like Canadian bacon?” He asked me.

“What?” I raised my eyebrows and looked to Kyle.

“On pizza,” He explained. “Canadian bacon on your pizza.”

“Oh, right,” I nodded. “Yeah, sure.”

“So yes to the Canadian Bacon,” Jonathan returned to the person on the other end. “Large. And two large pepperoni pizzas too.”

“Looks like it’s one of the pizza and movie days,” Kyle winked and headed toward the couch that was pushed up against one of the dirty white walls.

I trialed behind him like a puppy. Caleb was already sitting on the far left.

“My lady,” Kyle lifted up the throw pillow sitting next to Caleb and offered me a seat.

I sat down and Caleb looked up from his blackberry. “Hey, Georgia,” he smiled.

“Hey,” I returned his polite smile and set the throw pillow in my lap.

“Hey,” Kyle nodded to him and took the seat on the other side of me. He stretched his legs out so our legs were touching.

I looked up at him and he smiled.

“So,” Caleb pressed a few buttons on his phone and set it down on his thigh. “I guess we’re not really going to play much…” He looked to Kyle.

“It’s not looking like it,” Kyle sighed and leaned back into the couch.

“Bet you were stoked to hear us like though,” Caleb nudged me with his elbow.

“Yeah,” I smiled again. “The anticipation was getting pretty overwhelming, to be honest.”

He laughed. “It’s pretty hard for me to take you seriously with that black eye.”

“What?” I touched my face. The only makeup I had put on was mascara.

“The black eye I’m going to give you,” He grinned and held his fist in front of my face. “If you keep acting all sassy.”

I laughed and swatted his hand away. “You’re weird.”

“You’re weird,” he echoed with a playful smirk.

“You’re weird,” Kyle sighed and kicked off his shoes.

Caleb and I both leaned forward to look at him.

“What?” He held his hands up. “You were all saying it…”

I smiled and patted his knee.

Caleb’s phone beeped and he quickly scanned his text. “Austin’s going to be late.” he announced.

“Why?” Jonathan asked poking his head around the fridge.

“I don’t know,” Caleb shrugged. “Something about he was on a breakfast date?”

“With Haley?” I asked.

Caleb looked at me and shrugged again. “I’m assuming.”

“Good,” I smiled and crossed my legs at my ankles. I was hoping they would work out their issues.

“And Marc?” Jonathan looked to Kyle. “He’s coming?”

“Actually…” Kyle rubbed the back of his head. “I think he caught whatever Kent had.”

Jonathan leaned forward on the granite counter. “And Kent? He’s better now?”

Both boys shrugged. “I haven’t heard from him…” Caleb looked at his phone. “I could text him.”

“Yeah,” Jonathan nodded and flopped down on the floor in front of the couch. “Find out if he’s coming. Tell him were watching horror movies.”

“Horror movies?” My eyebrows rose.

“Yeah,” Jonathan shrugged casually. “That’s what I was in the mood for this morning.”

Kyle laughed. “Who wakes up and wants to watch a horror movie?”

“Awesome people,” Jonathan watched Caleb’s fingers tap the keys of his phone. “Why?” He gaze returned to me. “You don’t like them?”

“They’re not my favorite…” I admitted.

He laughed. “First you don’t like musicals, now you don’t like horror movies. Come on, Georgia!” He bumped his foot into mine. “Have a little fun every once in a while!”

“I do have fun,” I protested kicking him back.

“Yeah,” Caleb set his phone down. “Clearly she practices Pictionary.”

Jonathan frowned and narrowed his eyes at Kyle.

“Really?” Kyle sighed and reached behind me to hit Caleb. “You had to bring that one up again?”

“Well if I had a partner that could draw…” Jonathon folded his arms over his chest.

“He’s kind of a sore loser,” Kyle left his arm behind me.

“It’s only because we switched teams, leaving me with no hope of a victory,” Jonathan shot Caleb a look.

“Ok, Ok,” I held my hands up. “It doesn’t even matter.”

Jonathan opened his mouth to protest, but I kicked him with my foot. He closed his mouth and smiled sweetly. “Pizza should be here soon.”

“She owns you,” Caleb laughed. He grabbed the pillow out of my lap and threw it at Jonathan.

Kyle’s arm brushed the back of my neck and I felt my face heat up.

“Guys?” Austin yelled from the door.

“What?” Jonathan threw the pillow back to Caleb and met Austin in the kitchen.

“You ordered pizza, right?” Austin rubbed his stomach.

“Didn’t you just have breakfast with Haley?” Caleb laughed and set the pillow back in my lap.

“Yeah,” He shrugged. “And now I’m hungry again. Sue me.”

“You wouldn’t get much money,” Kyle smirked.

Austin ignored him and headed straight for Jonathan’s fridge.

“Don’t bother,” Jonathon poured himself a glass of water. “It’s completely empty.”

Austin pulled open the door and started to search anyway.

Caleb pulled himself off the couch and started digging around in the freezer. “You don’t even have ice cream?” He asked moving things around.

“I told you,” Jonathan sipped his water. “Completely empty.”

“We’ll can go grocery shopping,” Kyle offered as he looked down at me.

“Huh?” Everyone looked to us.

“We’ll go shopping,” Kyle repeated with a shrug. “I mean, Georgia doesn’t like horror movies and I don’t really want to sit and catch whatever sickness is floating amongst you guys. So…we’ll go pick some stuff up.”

“Seriously?” Jonathan seemed surprised. He narrowed his eyes. “You never offer to do anything.”

“I’m turning over a new leaf,” Kyle covered his heart with his hand. “And please, I’ve offered to do tons.”

“Uh-huh,” Jonathan rolled his eyes.

“Pick up some grapes,” Austin shut the door. “and maybe some of those mini burrito things.”

Kyle nodded and lifted himself of the couch. He offered me his hand to help me up.

“Thanks,” I nodded letting him pull me up.

“You’re seriously going?” Jonathan didn’t sound convinced.

“Yep,” Kyle adjusted the hood of his sweatshirt. “It would be my pleasure.”

“Whatever,” Jonathan let it go. “We’ll save you some pizza, I guess.”

“I’m coming!” Caleb announced. He stuck his hand in the air.

“Why?” Kyle made a face. “You hate shopping.”

Caleb shrugged. “I want to get some ice cream.”

Kyle sighed.

“Ok, seriously?” Jonathan looked around. “You guys are really sneaking off to some water park or something, right?”

“No,” Kyle shook his head and led me to the front door. “We’re going to pick up some much needed food for you.”

Jonathan still looked confused, but he let it go.

“Come on,” Kyle loosely wrapped his long fingers around my wrist and inched towards the door.

“Don’t forget the mini burritos!” Austin called after us.

“Yep,” Caleb grabbed his wallet from the corner of the counter and followed us to the door. “Shot gun!” He yelled as we stepped onto the concrete steps that led to the house.

“Don’t think so,” Kyle gave me a smile and pulled open the passenger door of his jeep for me. “But the back is all yours, Turman.”

Caleb mumbled something to himself, but climbed into the back like he was told. “So,” he leaned over my seat as Kyle walked around the front of the car. “When are we finally going to have our date?” He offered me a playful grin.

I adjusted my shirt. “What?” I answered hesitantly.

“Well, you know,” he sensed my lack of comfort. “We were gunna chill sometime…”

“Oh, right,” I nodded.

Kyle pulled open his door and quickly slid inside.

“So when?” Caleb persisted. His fingers brushed my shoulder.

“When what?” Kyle looked at me and started the engine.

“Georgia and I were going to go putt-putting sometime,” Caleb shrugged.

“Oh?” Kyle raised his eyebrows.

Oh boy. I quickly slid down in my seat and rolled down the window. I needed some air. Stat.

“But she never seems to remember to text to me,” Caleb playfully shoved me.

“Yeah, sorry…” I pushed my hair behind my ear. “I’m always super busy…and stuff.”

He laughed and leaned back in his seat. “Sure, sure, Georgia.”

“OK, well anyway…” Kyle backed out of the driveway and turned up his stereo.

“Did you see my bike?” Caleb asked excitedly.

“Yep,” I stared at it out the window. “The cherry red is kind of hard to miss.”

“Yeah…” he frowned slightly. “It’s a lot brighter than it was in the store.”

“It’s nice though,” I shrugged. I was still trying to picture him actually riding it.

“I’ll have to give you a ride sometime.”

“Maybe she doesn’t like motorcycles,” Kyle looked at him in the rearview mirror.

Caleb leaned forward again. “Do you?”

“Um,” His warm breath landed on my neck and I shifted in my seat. “I’ve never really ridden one before.”

“Perfect,” he grinned. “I’ll be happy to be the one to introduce you to one of the many joys in life.”

Kyle rolled his eyes and turned up the music.

“Uh, sure,” I nodded and rubbed my forehead. “Sounds great.”

The rest of the ride was silent. But as soon as Kyle pulled into the parking lot of Walmart, Caleb yelled and raced out of the car.

“Georgia!” He called and ran towards the mechanical horse in front of the automatic doors. He climbed on top of it. “Get a picture!”

“I um,” I patted my pockets. “I don’t have a camera. Sorry?”

“Aw man,” He slowly untangled his legs from the horse and jumped down. “I supposed you wouldn’t have a quarter?” He smiled sweetly.

“Oh, God,” Kyle covered my hand in his and led me to the door. “Just ignore him. Please.”

I smiled weakly. My hand felt warm and small when it was held protectively in his.

“Do we have a game plan?” Caleb asked as he jogged to catch up.

“What?” Kyle stopped and faced him. I waited for him to drop my hand, but he didn’t.

“How about you hit up the frozen food section,” He nodded to Kyle. “And Georgia and I can find the chocolate.”

“How about you go find the burritos,” Kyle poked him in the chest. “And Georgia and I will find the peanut M&M’s.”

“Um, actually?” I spoke up. “I don’t like those.”

They both looked at me. Kyle was the first to smile.

“Alright, cool,” he grinned and finally released my hand. “Let’s go look and see what we’re working with.” he didn’t leave it up for discussion. He snaked his arm around my shoulder and turned to go.

Caleb scuffed his shoe on the dirty tile and headed towards the ailses of freezers.

“I can’t believe you don’t like peanut M&M’s,” Kyle pulled me closer as we headed down the crowed aisle. “And motorcycles?” He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow.

“Well,” I let my hands dangle at my side, not sure what to do with them. “Neither of them are really my favorite…but I‘m willing to give motorized bicycles a try I guess.”

He laughed and squeezed my shoulder. “Well is there anything else you don’t like that I should know about?”

“I’m not too fond of running,” I admitted. “Or Chinese food.”

He nodded. “Noted. No take-out dates.”

I opened my mouth to speak but quickly closed it.

“I’m sorry,” he laughed easily. “Was that jumping the gun a bit?”

“Yeah,” I smiled. “There was a bit of gun jumping…”

“My bad,” he turned into the candy aisle and released me from his grip. “Alright,” He quickly scanned the rows. “Austin hates dark chocolate. And,” he pointed to himself. “I hate almonds.”

“Got it,” I nodded and looked over the different varieties of colored wrappers. “No dark chocolate, no almonds.”

“No peanut M&M’s,” he added with a grin. “Ah,” the bright bronze Twix wrappers caught his eye. “Definitely getting these.” He reached for the Reese’s. “And these.”

I laughed and tapped my chin, still scanning the shelves. “What does Caleb like?”

“Hmmmmmm?” Kyle’s eyes floated over to me. “Why?”

I shrugged. “Well I figure that we might as well get something that everyone likes. And I’d hate to get those,” I pointed to the jolly ranchers. “Only to find out that they cause him to break out in hives.”

He nodded and adjusted the bags in his arms. “I don’t know what he likes.”

“Well, I’m getting gummy worms,” I announced. I grabbed the party-sized bag and cradled it in my arms.

“Maybe some of those?” He pointed to the box of Milk Duds.

“Gross,” I made a face. “No way.”

“What?” He feigned shock. “You don’t like Milk Duds?”

“Not in the slightest,” I shook my head. “But these,” I grabbed a bag of Razzles. “Are like heaven in your mouth.”

“Yum,” He took it from my hand and set it in his pile.

“One last thing,” He snatched up a box of assorted chocolates from the bottom shelf and headed around the corner.

“This is a lot,” I looked at everything we picked up.

“Yeah,” Kyle shrugged and took the other bag from my arms and set it on his big pile. “Oh, sweet!” He jogged to an abandoned shopping cart in the middle of the next aisle. “Perfect!” he dropped the candy in it’s metal cage and pushed the cart to me. He stopped just before it hit my toes. “Hop in.”

“What?” I looked down at the cart. The ugly gray paint was chipping.

“Hop in,” he repeated with a grin.

“Um, I don’t think so…” I folded my arms over my chest.

“Come on!” He pouted. “Live a little, Georgia!”

“Kyle, I’m not five. I don’t need a ride…” I couldn’t help but smile.

“Fine,” He smiled smugly. “Suit yourself.” In one swift jump, he was sitting cross-legged in the cart, skillfully avoiding the bags of candy.

I laughed. “Well aren’t you cute,” I patted his blonde head.

“Let’s go,” He laced his fingers in the metal bars. “Let’s see what Caleb got.”

“Off to the frozen foods!” I began pushing the cart towards the other side of the store.

“See, this is fun, right?” He glanced at me over his shoulder.

I tried to ignore the looks from people. “Oh, yeah,” I nodded. “Pushing a grown man around Walmart is, like, pretty much a dream of mine.”

He grinned. “Good.”

“So, you don’t really plan much, do you?” I swerved around a little boy.

“Plan what?”

“Today,” I shrugged, tightening my grip on the blue plastic bar. “I guess I just thought that this day would consist of a little more than band practice and Walmart…”

He turned and smiled. “Well, the days not over yet, Georgia.”

“Ah,” I nodded. “I see.”

“And besides,” he picked up the gummy worms. “I’m buying you candy.”

I smiled and tried to think of a witty reply.

“Hey kids,” Caleb stopped in front of us.

I stopped the cart just before it crashed into his knees.

He dumped a stack of mini burritos and popsicles in Kyle’s lap.

“Dude!” Kyle pushed the freezing items off of his bare legs. He glared at Caleb.

“You guys ready to go?” Caleb looked at me. “I’m starving.”

“Yeah,” I shrugged and drummed my fingers on the cart.

Kyle looked up at me. “We should stop for smoothies.”

“Smoothies?” Caleb wrinkled his nose. “What about pizza?”

Kyle ignored him. “There’s a place like a block from here.”

“Well, I mean,” I looked at Caleb. “It’s cool. Like, we don’t have to…”

Kyle studied my face, then looked to Caleb. “You know, you can always call a cab, bro.”

“Home?” Caleb sounded confused. “And miss all the fun?” He gave me a wink. “Not a chance.”

Kyle sighed and hopped out of the cart. He started gathering the bags in his arms.

“Let’s just go putt-putting instead,” Caleb suggested with an excited smile. “Or we can catch a movie. Or we ca--”

“Go back to Jonathan’s?” Kyle finished his sentence.

Caleb frowned. “What’s your problem?”

“Nothing,” Kyle pushed the now empty cart aside. “Let’s just get out of here,” he headed towards the register.

“He’s a little moody,” Caleb mumbled as we trailed behind.

I swallowed. I could tell Kyle was getting annoyed with Caleb. Heck, all of Walmart could probably tell he was getting annoyed with Caleb.

I shrugged and stuck my hands in my pockets.

“I like your shirt,” Caleb smiled and tugged at the hem of my blouse.

“Oh,” I looked down at it. “Yeah, me too.”

“Yellow suits you.”

“Thanks?” I laughed.

He grinned and swung his arms back and forth.

Kyle dumped the food on the moving conveyor belt and waiting for the lady at the register to scan everything.

“You guys didn’t get grapes?” Caleb scanned our selections. “Austin wanted grapes.”

Kyle shrugged and pulled out his wallet.

“I’ll get them,” Caleb sighed. “Wait for me!” He called as he jogged towards the produce.

“I’m sorry,” Kyle sighed once he was gone.

“For what?” I adjusted the icecream so it was sitting straight.

“Caleb,” he rolled his eyes and played with his wallet. “I didn’t think we’d have to baby sit him.”

“No,” I shook my head. “I mean, it’s fine?”

He smiled. “I do have plans though. For the rest of the day.”

“Oh?” I grinned slyly.

“I’m back,” Caleb huffed. He dropped a bag of bright green grapes on the belt. He looked at us and smiled.

Kyle brought his face closer to mine. “Don’t lose faith in me yet," he winked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment :)
i would really love it