With These Words

Let's go

I scrubbed at the invisible finger prints on the glass ten times harder then necessary. My knuckles were red and I was losing the feeling in my hand. The rag I was using was as thin as paper.

“Rough night?” Andy smirked from his stool.

He wasn’t even worth a response.

“You’re going to scrub through the glass,” he warned.

I continued to ignore him. Why is it that the one time I just want Andy to shut up and listen to his music, he’s in a chatty mood?

“Georgia,” he laughed and stood up from his stool. “Give me the rag,” He ordered.

I looked up at him and his sloppy black hair. “What? You want to work for once?”

He raised an eyebrow.

“I’m sorry,” I sighed loudly. “That was rude.”

“Whatever,” he shrugged. “It’s the truth, right?” He smiled mischievously.

I shook my head and smiled. “Here,” I tossed him the rag. “For my own good.”

He balled it up and tossed it in the corner of the back room. “So what’s the deal?”

I rolled my eyes and thought of Kyle’s kiss, not like I had ever really stopped though. I didn’t even know what to think. My head was in a whirl and my stomach was in knots. Why did he have to go and do that!?

Last night, after the kiss, I simply grabbed my purse and headed towards the front door.

“Come on, Georgia,” Kyle had pushed himself up off the tile floor and followed me. “Don’t be like that,” he reached out for my arm.

I still couldn’t speak. Again, I mentally cursed myself for not being able to talk. Why did this stupid boy have this effect on me?

He took hold of my elbow and turned me to face him. “Georgia.”

I blinked. I was willing to bet hundreds of dollars that my pale skin was nice and blotchy.

“I’m sorry?” he sighed and rubbed the back of head, his fingers getting tangled in his hair. He offered me a weak smile.

“I should go,” I mumbled softly. I pulled my arm out his grasp and took another step towards the door.

“At least let me give you a ride home,” He continued to follow me.

“I’m good,” I practically whispered. I knew if I hurried I could catch one of the last busses.

“Georgia!” He let out a frustrated sigh and tugged on his hair. “Seriously?”

I pulled open his front door and quickly shut it behind me.

I now looked back up at Andy. He leaned against the glass casing and waited for me to respond.
“Nothing,” I sighed. “Just…I’m a tad confused.”

“Is this about that tall kid that always comes in here and never buys anything?”

I let out long, tired breath. “You could say that.”

“Don’t stress,” Andy returned to his stool and waved off my worries. “Let it go.”

“Uh-huh,” I nodded and looked toward the door. The bakery had been open for almost an hour, and I knew it was only a matter of time before Kyle waltzed inside and up to my register.

“Tell him to go dig a hole,” Andy suggested.

“To dig a hole?” I leaned back on the counter and smiled.

“Yeah,” He nodded towards the clock. “I think it’s a little too early to break out the swear words. And,” he rolled his eyes. “Boss lady told me that if I didn’t keep my language ‘family appropriate’, I’d be out of a job.”

“Ah,” I nodded. “Well yes, then I shall tell him to go and dig a hole.”

He grinned. “That’s what I like to hear.”

I smiled again. Andy was nicer than he appeared.

Twenty-two minutes later, like clockwork, Kyle pushed open the door to the bakery.

Andy shot me a look before pressing his headphones into his ears.

“Can we talk?” He asked approaching my register.

I looked at him. Everything about him looked normal. His baggy camo shorts. His crazy graphic t-shirt. I wasn’t sure why this strange, it’s not like I really thought he would look much different.

He tugged at his shorts. “Please?”

“Um,” I looked around the empty bakery. “Sure.”

“Cool,” he waited for me to step around the counter before he reached for my hand. “Let’s go outside?”

I nodded and let him pull me outside the door. The morning air was thick and hot. The little bell above the door only served to taunt my nerves.

“I think that…” he took a breath, his eyes not leaving mine. “I’m sorry you freaked out last night.” His words sounded scripted and rehearsed.

“Kyle,” I was prepared to speak my mind. “Like ten seconds before that, you were yelling at me that I was flirting with Caleb. How was I supposed to react? Friends don’t wrongly accuse friends of flirting and then kiss them.”

He threw his head back and stared at the sky. “Georgia, you guys were all over each other! What was I supposed to say?”

“Ok,” I reached for the door. “I’m so not having this conversation with you again.”

“No, wait,” He reached out for my hands, intertwining his fingers with mine. He played with them as he spoke. “I’m sorry, ok?” He raised our hands up so they were in between us. “It’s just frustrating for me to see you…with him…all cozy on my couch…” He looked at me. “Especially when the night before I really thought that,” he cleared his throat and shrugged. “That we kinda had like a…a connection?”

“A connection?”

“At the waffle house,” he pressed his palms to mine.

“Diner,” I corrected him with a slight smile. “It wasn’t a waffle house.” I was happy he had felt something too though. There was something calming about just sitting there talking to him under bright florescent lights and scratchy vinyl seats.

He laughed lightly and looked at our feet. “Listen,” He spoke seriously again. “I’m sorry. Maybe I moved a bit fast…”

I nodded.

His phone beeped inside his pocket. He sighed and pulled it out. “It’s Marc,” he frowned reading the text message. “I got to go.”

“Is everything ok?” I asked as he dropped my hands.

“Yeah,” He shrugged. “Just a meeting.”

“Oh.”

“I um,” He stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Do you want to do something later? Coffee maybe?”

“Sure…” I nodded slowly.

“Great,” he pulled his mouth up to one side. “I’ll uh, see you later then…” He leaned forward on his toes and lightly kissed my forehead. “Later, Georgia,” he turned and met his jeep at the curb.

I wandered back into the bakery. What sucked was that I felt like nothing had really been resolved. The kiss was still there, floating around in the open between Kyle and I, and nothing could take it back.

“I’m just going to go out on a limb here,” Andy smirked and took one of his headphones out. “You didn’t tell him to shove off?”

“Nope,” I sighed and returned to my post at the register. “That’s not how it panned out.”

He laughed and stuck his headphone back in.

I let out another sigh and ran my hand over my face. This was going to be a long day.

::;::

After a good half an hour of debating with myself, I hurried into the back room and wiggled my phone out of my pocket. It was definitely against policy to make personal calls, but this was an emergency.

I quickly scanned my contacts list and dialed Haley’s number as fast as I could. I knew I would have to make this quick.

“Hello?” She picked up after the second ring.

“Kyle kissed me last night.” I blurted out. I was done playing cool about this.

“Georgia?” Haley’s voice was hesitant.

“Yeah, who else would it be?”

“No it’s just…” She started slowly.

“Hey, girl, hey!” Austin laughed.

“You’re on speaker phone,” Haley sighed. “Sorry…”

“I knew they would get together!” Someone yelled.

“Is that Marc?” I blushed.

“And Jonathan…” Haley mumbled.

“Hey, Georgia!” he called.

“Oh wow…” I pressed my palm to my forehead. “Kyle’s not there…is he?” I winced.

“No, no,” She assured me. “We’re just hanging out at my place.”

I sighed. Well that was somewhat of a relief.

Austin laughed again. “Did I totally not call that? Haley! You remember, right? I totally said this would happen!”

“Wait, are guys dating now?” Haley asked.

“Can you take me off speaker phone?” I was slightly annoyed.

“Oh, sure, yeah,” There was a faint click. “You still there?”

“Yeah,” I sighed.

“So what’s the deal?”

I could still hear the guys in the background. “Maybe we should just talk about this later.” I looked over my shoulder to make sure my boss was still in her office.

“Jonathan!” Haley yelled as he took the phone from her ear.

“Hey, it’s me,” he said into the phone. “What’s up?”

“Jonathan?” I raised an eyebrow. “Hi?”

“So Kyle made the move last night?” He questioned casually.

“What?” I blushed again. “Well…yeah…”

He chuckled. “It’s about time, right?”

“What? No,” I ran a hand through my hair. “It’s not about time.”

“You didn’t like it?” he sounded confused.

“Can I just talk to Haley?” I sighed.

He ignored me. “We’ve all been seeing it. He visits you at work. He gives you rides. He’s always talking about you. Really, it was only a matter of time before you guys got together.”

“We’re not together,” I told him.

“Yet,” He laughed. “It’s only a matter of time, Georgia, only a matter of time.”

“Can I please just talk to Haley now?” I checked for my boss again.

“Sure thing,” he handed the phone off.

“So are you dating or what?” She immediately asked.

“No!” I tugged on my hair. “We’re not dating! Ok?”

“Then why would he kiss you?” She sounded confused and I was glad I wasn’t the only one.

“I have no idea,” I admitted. “That’s why I’m calling you!” I really had been hoping she could give me some insight or something.

“Well he likes you…” She said slowly. “I think we can agree on that.”

“Ahhh…” I rubbed my temples.

“What? That’s a bad thing?” She laughed. “Hunny, wake up and smell the coffee,” She lowered her voice. “Kyle is hot.”

“Hey!” Austin yelled.

“Chill, babe,” She told him. “It’s common knowledge.” That seemed to pacify him for the moment. “But anyway. I’m assuming you don’t like him then?”

“No, well I mean…” I sighed. “I don’t know. Like he’s cool…but he didn‘t even like give me a warning!” I wanted to tell her that he had freaked out about Caleb, but I didn’t want to get into it.

“Georgia,” She laughed. “He’s been with you 24/7 for like a month. Go on a date with the poor boy!”

“Yeah!” I heard Austin second her suggestion.

“He didn’t ask me out,” I stated. “He came by today and apologized for the kiss, but that’s it. No invites.”

“Nothing?” She thought for a minute. “That’s strange…”

“Well he did ask if I wanted to grab a coffee later…but that hardly constitutes as a date, right?”

“I don’t know,” I could picture her frown in my head. “I wasn’t there. Wait why would he apologize for kissing you? That doesn’t sound like him at all.”

“Well I um,” I scratched my head. “I kinda ran out on him…”

“Georgia!” she laughed. “Seriously? What the heck is wrong with you?”

“I don’t know!” I tried to defend myself. “It all just happened so fast! One second we’re arguing and cleaning up the kitchen and the next…bam! There’s Kyle’s lips! I didn’t even know what to think!”

“Georgia!” I heard my boss yell. The door to her office creaked open.

“I got to go,” I quickly told Haley.

“Sure. I’m coming over when you get home.”

“Right,” I nodded and ended the call.

“Georgia?” My boss poked her head in the back room. “What on earth are you doing back here?”

“Nothing,” I slipped my phone back in my pocket. “Why? Is there a costumer?”

“No,” she shook her head. “But I was wondering if you could do some inventory?” She stated it like a question, but it clearly wasn’t an option.

“Yep,” I nodded walking out of the room. “I’ll be right there.”

::;::

Wrapping my arms around myself, I waited outside the bakery for Kyle, scanning and rescanning the street for his jeep.

I frowned and let out a much needed breath. I’d fought with myself all day about what I would say to Kyle. It was like the second I felt comfortable being friends with him, he pushed us into more than friends. What’s next? I agree to go on a date and he wants to get married?

I shook my head and tried to settle my nerves. This was stupid. I was getting all worked up for nothing. For all I knew Kyle just wanted to forget it even happened.

I frowned again. What if he did want to forget about it? Granted, it made me super nervous…but I didn’t want to pretend it didn’t happen. I felt foolish for admitting it, but I did like it. The kiss. And if we’re on this whole ‘admitting spree’ thing, I might as well confess I was kind of into the idea that he wanted to be my boyfriend.

Oh crap. What if Kyle does want to be my boyfriend? I pressed my palm to my forehead. I knew him on a friend basis. Maybe he was one of those super clingy boyfriends. For all I know he could be a creepy obsessive weird boyfriend that would never leave my side. I don’t want that!

I leaned back against the wall and nonchalantly bit my thumb nail. It was a horrible habit of mine. I needed to relax. Kyle didn’t want to be my boyfriend. If he did, he would have asked me this morning. I only wished that I could understand what he was thinking. I only wished that I could understand what I was thinking!

Ten minutes later Kyle’s jeep rounded the corner.

I dropped my hands to my sides and tried to pretend that I hadn’t been standing there since four, biting my nails down to nothing.

“Sorry I’m kind of late,” He mumbled unlocking the door for me.

“It’s cool,” I climbed in and quickly pulled the door shut.

“Coffee?” He asked pulling onto the street. He glanced over at me.

“Yeah,” I flicked a stray sprinkle off my jeans. “Sounds good.”

He sighed and drove towards the nearest coffee shop. It was awkward, and I hated it.

When we got there we quickly placed our orders and took the last available table in the back by the trash can.

He rested his elbows on the table and cupped his chin in his hands. “What’s up?” He asked eyeing the front counter.

I shrugged. “Nothing really…”

The lady at the register called our order number.

“I got it,” Kyle jumped up and headed to the front.

I sighed and slumped down in the hard wooden chair.

“My lady,” Kyle returned and set my drink in front of me.

I smiled. Things were a little weird at the moment, but at least some things were the same.

“So,” he stared down into his coffee and set his car keys on the table in front of him. “I just th--”

“Why did you kiss me?” I blurted out. The words just tumbled out of my mouth like I had no control of them in the slightest.

“What?” He made a face, but it quickly changed into a smile.

I rubbed my eyes, not even caring if I smeared my makeup in the process. “I’m really lame, aren‘t I?” I mumbled.

“Naw,” He shook his head and took a sip of his coffee. “Just a little on the not-so-subtle side.” He looked up at me. “But it’s cool,” he shrugged. “I kind of like it.”

I stared at him. The hood of his sweatshirt was pulled up around his head, and his sunglasses were dangling on his shirt collar. Haley was right. He was pretty good-looking…

“But,” he ripped open a packet of sweetener with his teeth, and dumped it in his coffee. “I kissed you because I think you’re cool.” He stuck a spoon his drink and began stirring. “I like you, Georgia,” He glanced up at me and shrugged. “I think you’re fun. I think you’re funny. I think you’re smart.”

“And I don’t take your crap,” I added.

“Yeah,” he laughed and continued to stir. “You don’t. Most girls just smile and laugh at everything I say. It gets kind of old.”

“What does this mean?” I asked quietly.

“What?” he set the sweetener wrapper aside.

I looked down. “Just…oh, I don‘t know.”

He sipped his coffee. “Georgia? Remember like the first day I met you, and you inconspicuously tried to figure out how old I was and if I was single?”

I laughed. “No, I said you didn’t look like a college student. You only thought I cared about all that other stuff.”

“I refuse to believe that,” He shook his head. “But I told you not to beat around the bush with me. Just say what you wanna say.” he shrugged.

“Do you…” I paused and he looked up at me. “Do you want to date me?” I couldn’t believe I was being so blunt. But despite the awkward blushing, I needed to know. I wasn’t going to spend even one more day stressing like this.

His eyes didn’t waver. “I don’t know,” He shrugged and casually took another sip of his coffee. “If you want to. I mean, I would love to take you out sometime if that’s what you’re implying.”

I frowned. Why was he being so…so chill?

“Kyle,” I sighed, staring at my untouched drink. The steam rose and tickled my face. “I don’t think I can date you...”

“Why?” He played with his keys.

“I mean,” I searched for the right words, but there were none in sight. “I don’t even--”

“My God, Georgia,” he cut me off and looked up from his keys. “Don’t say you don’t know me. You do!” He placed his hands on his chest. “You know me!”

“But that’s the thing,” I sighed again. “I mean I know we’ve been hanging out and stuff, but I…I don’t know you. Like really know you, you know?”

“No,” he shook his head. “I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry,” I watched his blue eyes search my face. “I just feel like at this point, I don’t know you enough to…to be in a relationship with you.”

He pondered my words before leaning forward on his elbows. His eyes stared straight into mine. “Spend the day with me tomorrow.”

“I have to work,” I told him flatly.

“Take the day off.”

“Kyle…”I started.

“Come on, Georgia! Take the initiative and get to know me then. I know you like me too.”

“I,” I cleared my throat. “I mean…well I--”

“You let me kiss you last night.” A smile played with the edges of his lips. “And I know you liked it.”

I sighed and looked at his unwavering eyes. He was right, and he had a valid point.

“Just take the day off tomorrow,” he took another sip of his coffee. He said it like it was simple.

I looked into the dark brown liquid sitting in front of me. “Alright,” I finally answered him. “I’ll do it. I’ll take the day off.”

His face broke out into a grin. “You won’t regret it,” He shook his hair out of his eyes.

I bit my lip and thought about what I just agreed to. A whole day with Kyle. Part of me was excited, part of me wanted to throw up.

“Excuse me?” a group of girls meandered up to our table. “Can we like…get a picture real quick?”

“Yeah, for sure!” Kyle smiled and stood up from the table.

I watched him pose for pictures and offer multiple hugs. He really was a nice guy. A little weird at times, but he was sweet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you guys think :)
comments are always awesome