The Sun-Observing Marigold

The Observer

Cassidy had learned a lot from her time on her front porch. Her house sat in the middle of her street. From her porch, Cassidy could see most of the houses across the way, and the end of the driveway of her neighbor to her right. Every day, she watched, observing. Studying. Learning.

Humans, she concluded, were creatures of habit. Andrew, the boy Cassidy’s age that lived in the house across the street, cut the grass every Friday at 5:00. That was right before his parents got home from work, and it was the perfect time for him. The Sun was still up, yet the heat was beginning to die down. Gloria, the single mother who lived across the street next to Andrew, checked her mailbox at noon sharp every week day, although everyone, including her, knew that the mailman didn’t come until 3:00 in the afternoon. Every time Adam, Gloria’s 20 year old son, came outside, he constantly looked around to see if anyone was out; as if he were afraid that someone might be watching. He had grown used to Cassidy sitting outside every day, as had every other person that lived on Poplar Street, because Cassidy too was a creature of habit.

Humans, she concluded had no shame when they thought no one was paying attention. Andrew sung completely out of tune while he mowed his lawn, not realizing once that the hum of the lawn mower didn’t cover up his voice. Adam had had his fair share of embarrassing moments, and he didn’t think twice about using every curse word in the book when he thought he couldn’t be heard. Doug, Cassidy’s neighbor to her right, went out in nothing but his boxers, showing everything, hairy back, beer belly, and all when he went to bring his recycling bin in once a week.

Humans, she concluded, were incredibly lazy. Doug gets his mail out of the mailbox ever day by driving up to it. Instead of taking the 20 foot walk to and from the mailbox, he decides to stay in his red pick-up truck when he comes home from work. He rolls the window down, drives up to the mailbox, and doesn’t even put his feet on the ground when he retrieves his letters and bills. Instead of taking his two golden retrievers on a real walk, Andrew just lets his dogs out in the backyard for an hour. Apparently, the walk up and down a couple of streets is just too exhausting for the teenage boy who has nothing better to do with his time.

Humans, she concluded, learn humility the hard way. Adam has fallen on the stairs to his porch many times, although, in all fairness, one or two of those spills were during the winter when the steps were icy. Doug has been caught a couple of times walking around outside in his underwear by passing cars. After a snowstorm had blown through, Cassidy watched as the Army man down the street tried to clear his driveway of ice by driving his car over it. He made laps, up and down the path, until his car stalled and got stuck on the curb after a few minutes. On another occasion, Cassidy had seen a different neighbor, a father of three, trying to clean up after his kids one night. As he was bringing in the foot-powered scooter, he got the brilliant idea to try riding it down the block. Everything was going smoothly until he tried to go up the curb, into the driveway. He got the bottom stuck and flipped right over the handlebars, demonstrating Newton’s first law of motion. Cassidy even had learned humility a couple of times when various neighbors had caught her staring. Some looked away, trying to ignore her, while others stared right back.

Humans, she concluded, took advantage of having family. Andrew had been seen yelling at his grandmother when he was getting out of the car after she dropped him off from his driving school lesson. His grandma had just lost her first and only husband, and was always there to support her grandson, yet he had no problem giving her a hard time when he didn’t like the advice she was giving. Adam lost his dad a couple of years ago, and he was still losing respect for the women in his life. He tries to boss around his sister, Stephanie, because she is the younger of the two. Being a strong, and independent woman, Stephie will always tell him ‘no, do it yourself,’ like a feminist should, but that doesn’t stop Adam from trying. His own mother made him sleep outside one night after some insults were thrown around. He lied to his mom about signing up for classes at the local community college, so she told him that if he didn’t want to get an education and find a job, he could see what it’s like to live like a bum.

Humans, she concluded, were awkward when put together, yet neighbors were always there to help each other out. The father-of-three’s trash company will only pick up a certain amount of bags, so Cassidy’s family allows him to put his extra garbage with theirs. Cassidy’s dad, John, helps out Gloria with house maintenance when it needs to be done, since the handyman, her husband, is no longer around. John helps out Ian, Andrew’s dad, by playing the role of therapist and the voice of reason when Ian is going to make a rash decision. Everyone on the street helped out the Army man when he got his car stuck on the ice, that day in the winter. They pick up each others’ mail and newspapers when one goes away on vacation.

Cassidy had learned a lot about humans from her front porch. She felt like every day, the world was reflected onto the people that she saw. Through silent observation, Cassidy was learning about what it is to be a human.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this while I was sick. The house was empty and I felt lonely. Alot of these are my own observations, although I exagerated or changed around a couple of things.