Status: Active...maybe...kinda...sorta

It's Not You. It's Me. And No! He is Not My Boyfriend!

Even the Divine Have Their Limits

“OH MY GOD!” Melissa began to scream the minute she stepped over the threshold. “Did you hear?”

“THE NAZIS LOST WORLD WAR TWO? TOTALLY! I HEARD THAT LAST HISTORY CLASS! Where have you been?”

Melissa gave a curt laugh before cutting in with a, “But no seriously.”

“Well of course I heard. I have fully function ears,” I replied, ignoring her request that I act serious, but annoying her was just too sweet.

“So are you going?”

“To what?”

“Cade’s party, of course!”

“What is this? Basketball players throw parties month?”

“Who’s throwing a party?” Mac inquired plopping in his seat next to mine.

“Cade apparently.”

“And he is?”

“Only the hottest center ever!” Melissa screeched.

“Delightful. I love...hot centers...”

“So you think Carter can get us in again?” Melissa completely ignored Mac.

“What? Is there going to be a bouncer there? You know where Cade lives. Or you can map quest it I suppose.”

“You don’t want to go?”

“Sure, but I don’t need to rely on my boyfriend to get in.”

“Isn’t he like friends with all the basketball players?”

“Pft, I dunno.”

“You don’t know? You’re his girlfriend!”

“I’m sorry, I’m only on Kindergarten: a Time of Two Plus Two and Potty Trains, in the life story Carter.”

Melissa rolled her eyes with annoyance. She seems to forget that most people do not like stalking the people they are dating.

“Besides,” Mac came to my rescue. “If you just go late, most people will be too drunk to even care that you’re there.”

“Fine whatever. Can you just talk to Carter please?”

“Well I do need to do one good deed today.”

“I’m supposed to be talking to you,” I stated as I sat down across from Carter at Lunch.
“Please don’t.”

“Hey weren’t you jello yesterday?”

“Yes, but that wasn’t when there was a sandwich in front of me. Oh Sandwich,” Carter stroked his sub and held it close to his face, “You’re the only one for me.”

“Clearly I interrupted a moment.”

“Yes, clearly, you did. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a sandwich to bond with.”

“I’m sorry. This will only take a minute of your time. Melissa asked me to discuss this with you.”

“No I will not set her up with Kevin Zimmerman! I would never do that to a friend!”

“Good. That shows loyalty, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I doubt you were invited because I’m sure Zimmerman’s party was a fluke, but did you get invited to some party Cade is having this Friday?”

“I’ll have you know!” Carter stuck up his nose and pounded a prideful fist to his puffed up chest. “that I am invited to that party! Unfortunately, Cade said no girls below five foot three are allowed. Sorry.”

“Perfect! Melissa is five ten. She’s the one that wants to go. You can escort her.”

“What did I do wrong?” Cade held his head in his hands. “Why would you want to torture me like that.”

“I already did my good deed for the day. I’m here talking to you because Melissa is the one that wants to go the party,” I rolled my eyes thinking about her constant need to fit in. “And apparently,” I paused to take a bite of my sandwich, “You have some divine power to get her in.”

“Well, although I am a Greek God, even the divine have their limits. No amount of Godly power could make me want to lose my social status to get her into Cade’s party.”

“Uh...” I looked at Carter as if he sprouted five more heads, “One has to have a social status in order to loose it.”

“Shut up!” he playfully tossed his bits of sandwich crusts at me, causing me to weakly defend myself from the whole wheat barrage as I giggled.

“What?” I noticed, once I had managed to get all the sandwich bits off my body, Carter was staring at me with a goofy grin on his face.

“Nothing. Sometimes I forget how cute you are!” He cradled his goofy grinning face in his hands.

“Weren’t you just offended by my jello comment.”

“Yeah, but now I’m finished with my sandwich. Don’t you get it? I don’t want her to get jealous, being my first love and all.”

“Right...and I come to the sudden realization!” I cast both my hands over my head in a semi circle. “Yesterday, I made out with an escaped mental patient.”

Carter just glared in response before gorging himself on the other fifteen courses that went along with his first love.

“So,” Carter broke the silence first.

“Buttons?” I replied instinctively.

“HA HA HA!” Carter slapped his hand heavily on the table, causing those who weren’t looking at him from his overzealous fake laughs to do so. “Ya know? It all makes sense now. The reason for the high honors. You are just so clever. God they should just kick me out of all my AP classes and put a Dunce cap on me, because I could never be as clever as...” Carter poked me on the nose lovingly, “You.”

“Hardy Har har. What was the ‘so’ really the introductory clause for?”

“You really don’t want to come to the party?” Carted pouted slightly, lettings his shoulders slump.

“No. I already filled my social gathering quota for the year.”

“But I’ll be there,” his pout thickened as his shoulders slumped even further.

“As pitifully cute as that is, we’ve spent every weekend together. I think you can handle one night apart from me. Honestly, I don’t want to go.”

“Fiiiinnnne!”