Status: Active...maybe...kinda...sorta

It's Not You. It's Me. And No! He is Not My Boyfriend!

Do I Have the Plague or Something?

“Do you think I’m a bad kisser?” I looked up from my Biology textbook.

“Well,” Carmen stared back at me slightly skeptical. “I haven’t heard anything said about your kissing, and I can’t say I’ve experienced it. You know what they say though, no news is good news?”

“Okay,” I shrugged, and then turned back to my homework.

“Why?” Carmen narrowed her eyes.

“Oh well, Mac kissed me last night, but he pulled back in horror, but as long as it’s not me...”

“WHAT?” Carmen slammed my book closed so I couldn’t go back to my work. “He kissed you? And you thought you weren’t going to tell me this!”

“I told him we would forget it happn-OW!”

Carmen gave me a serious Indian burn on my forearm.

“WHAT THE HELL?”


“Spill everything now!”

“I don’t like this. If I let the Indian burns go, I’ll be getting black eyes soon.”

“Shut up, and talk!”

“Okay, okay! Just not another Indian Burn! I don’t know how I’ll explain all the marks to my mother... So, Mac took me out to dinner last night to get my mind off of things, you know?”

“Awww. That’s sweet. Brian always buys me flowers and ice cream when I’m in a bad mood.”

“Also sweet! But, it was really fun! We went to John’s. He’s on a first name biases with the waitstaff. Weird huh? His mother likes Sunday brunch there. Who can blame her really? They have the best bacon, and don’t even get me started on their breakfast burritos! But you can’t really go wrong with any food at John’s.”

“We’re getting away from the story here.”

“Right, right. Sorry. Anyway, the food was delicious. He paid. Then he drove me back to my place, and that’s when it happened.”

“This kiss?”

“Yeah. It was almost like a meteor. It was over before it started. I think he didn’t know what happened.”

“That’s kind of cute.”

“Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged. “He seemed really embarrassed.”

“Awww! He’s so cute!”


“I guess.”

“How do you feel about the kiss?”


“Weird. I’m a little confused about the whole thing actually. I had a ton of fun. I completely stopped thinking about Carter.”

“Huh!” Carmen wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. “He’s pretty good-looking Ellis!”

“Carmen!” I hit her playfully with a slight giggle. “Is that all you think about?”
 “Isn’t that all that matters in high school boyfriends?”

“You’re a walking contradiction. Besides, I think Brian would be upset to hear that.”

“Doubtful. What person doesn’t like hearing they’re hot. But seriously,” Carmen leaned closer to me in order to speak in a slight whisper. “He’s clearly into you, he’s really really cute, and it seems like you might like him a little too. Why not? Isn’t senior year all about having fun?”

“Clearly the teachers haven’t gotten that memo,” I started sadly at my Biology homework. Why I thought taking AP Bio would be a good idea was beyond me. “Besides,” I began after a few minutes of the two of us concentrating on our work. “I just broke up with my boyfriend. I don’t think I want to be in a relationship so soon, and wouldn’t that make me a slut or something of that nature?”

“I’m not saying get married to the boy. I’m just saying have fun. There’s nothing wrong with a little kiss here and there. And, if sex comes out of it, that’s just like a Christmas bonus or something.”

“You are so wise sometimes,” I chuckled while slightly shaking my head.

“I know, I know. You’re lucky we’re friends. I should start charging for my advice.”


We both shared a laugh before delving back into our homework. Carmen was most definitely right. Senior year was for having fun. I didn’t want to be tied down to some guy. Besides, I didn’t have to immediately start dating Mac or anything. We could just take it slow. Work our way up to hand holding...or something like that.

***

“Do I have the plague or something?” I had finally found Mac at his locker. After our infamous lip lock, he had been completely avoiding me in school, which was interesting considering that we sat next to each other in History class.

“No, I-I-,” he stammered, turning redder with each word.

“Look. It was weird. I get it. It’s fine, believe me.”

“I know, I know,” Mac stared at his feet. “I just feel so dumb. It wasn’t all that slick. And I don’t want you to think that I just took you out to try to get with you or anything.”

“You’re right, it wasn’t that slick, but I don’t think you had ulterior motives for taking me out. The gesture was sweet.”

“Thanks,” he smiled slightly, reddening a bit more. “I’m glad. I don’t want you to be sad.”

“I’m not,” I smiled widely to prove my point. “In fact, going out with you was the best time I’ve had in a while.”

“Really?” Mac looked up with wide and sparkling eyes, looking as if I had told him he had just won a million dollars.

“Yeah, I really like spending time with you.”

“I like spending time with you too,” Mac resumed looking at the floor, his cheeks burning.

“Clearly,” I mused thinking back to his kiss.

“Right,” he chuckled, reddening even deeper.

“Maybe we could get dinner again some time?”

“Sure!” Mac smiled as if he were a kid in a candy shop to be cliche. “That sounds amazing!”

“Good. I’m glad! Call me this weekend,” I smiled slightly before turning away to head towards my locker. I chuckled to myself as I began to pack my bag for the end of the day. Two potential man slaves in one year? It was definitely a personal best.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! <3

This will most likely be the last update for some time. I go back to school tomorrow, so I'll try and update when I have a free moment!