Innocence

Chapter 1

I took a deep breath as I stepped off the plane. It's been four years since I've been here. A part of me regrets leaving, but the other part doesn't.

I haven't made much of myself. I'm just an English Major trying to make a name for myself. I've written a book and I've tried getting it published, but I'm about to give up hope on it. Maybe I should just be a teacher?

I snapped out of my thoughts when I bumped into someone. "Oh! I'm sorry. I totally wasn't watching where I was going," the petite woman said.

"You're fine," I said, smiling.

"My boyfriend's finally coming home and I'm just so excited!" She said, bouncing up and down.

"Lee! There you are. Sorry, she got away from us," the blond said, smiling apologetically.

"It's alright," I laughed at the hyperactive woman. "I hope your boyfriend's just as excited to see you."

"Psh, he better be!" She said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Have fun," I said, walking off.

"Hey! I didn't get your name!"

I turned around, about to give a fake name, but thought twice about it. "Amanda!"

"Leana! It was nice meeting you!"

"You too!"

She reminds me so much of...

No, I'm not going to think about them. That's not why I'm here.

I sighed as I got into the house, closing the door behind me. "Mom!"

"Kitchen!" She called back.

I shook my head, laughing. When isn't that woman in the kitchen? "Oh, it's so good to see you," she said, pulling me into her arms.

"It's good to see you, too, Mama," I said into her shoulder, not wanting to let go. "How's Daddy?" I asked, after pulling away and wiping the tears away.

"He's good. He's at a friends right now, which is where we are going as soon as you get settled in."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You just go on up to your room and get ready. We're going over to a barbecue."

"But, Momma, don't you-"

"Girl, do as I say, go on," she said, nudging my hip.

I sighed, before walking up stairs. There was no arguing with Momma when she wanted something done. How do you think I got back here?

"Now don't you look cute." She smiled as I walked down the stairs a half hour later.

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?" I asked, taking the dish that she handed me.

"Just to a friends," she said as we walked out the door.

I walked over to the car, waiting for her to get in, but she just kept walking down the drive way. "Uh, Momma? The car's right here."

"Yes, I can see that. And that's where it's going to stay. No, come on."

Has my Mom lost it too?

Instead of asking questions, I just followed her. I expected that we were going down to her friend Carrol's at the very end of the street. But when we stopped half way, I got a knot in my stomach. "Momma, no," I said, shaking my head.

"Come on, Sweetie. We don't want to be late."

"You know I can't go in there," I said in a pleading tone.

"Amanda Sophie Sheffeld, get your butt up here now," she said from the porch.

Kill me.

She opened the door and I slowly followed her in. "Oh! Look who's here!" That familiar voice rang through my ears. She was like a second mom to me... "Manda, it is so good to see you again," she said, pulling me into a hug.

"You too, Suzy," I said softly.

"Now you put a smile on your face and go see your daddy. That's all he's been talking about since he got here," she said, smiling as she pushed me out the back door.

"Daren, I think I've seen a ghost," Papa said as he saw me walking out of the back door.

"Very funny, Papa," I said, shaking my head. "Hi, Daddy," I said, bending over to give him a hug so he wouldn't have to stand up.

"I don't know, Brian. I don't think she's my daughter."

"I don't know either," Papa said as they both looked me over. "She's too grown up." They both shook their heads.

"I'm still Lil' Manda," I said, smiling at the two older men that were both fathers to me.

"Yeah, well you better stay that way!" Dad said, pointing his finger at me.

I rolled y eyes, giving a small smile. "I'll try, Daddy."

"Manda!" I heard a squeal. I turned around just in time to get my leg tackled by a little girl.

"Kenna?! Is that you?!" I asked in shock.

"Yep!" She smiled up at me.

"Come here, you!" I picked her up and sat her on my hip.

"I don't think she can fit on your hip anymore, Manda." I turned to see a laughing Brent.

I turned to Dad with a questioning look. "Momma?" He held his hands up while laughing and nodding. I shook my head. "That woman."

"It's good to see you, Girlie," Brent said, giving me a side hug.

"You too, Brent. And this one!" I said, poking McKenna in the stomach. "When did you grow up? This is impossible. The last time I saw you, you were tiny!"

"You've been gone for a long time!" She said.

I sighed, setting her down. "I know, Sweetie." I ruffled her hair before going into the kitchen.

"Cooler." Was all Suzy had to say, knowing what I was looking for.

Mom shook her head. "I really wish you wouldn't drink. This early at least."

"I'm sorry, Momma. But I need it."

I walked out back, just in time to see people coming through the side gate. At first I didn't recognize them, and figured they were just people that Suzy had invited.

That is, until...

"Manda?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Clothes