Innocence

Chapter 11

Image

I was sitting at home again, because none of the guys would let me go to the hospital. Janie and Val had already tried to sneak me out, but that didn't work. Poor Zacky sacrificed his credit card for them to go on a shopping trip. They tried to get me to go, but I just wasn't in the mood. I was content with just sitting in my Cruiser with Jimmy, not saying a word.

It's a 63 Toyota Land Cruiser. My dad fixed it up for me when I was a teen. It's pretty much an old beater, so Jimmy and I decided to name him Rusty. I think it gave it character though. I didn't want a brand new car. I felt safe in this old guy, and I didn't have to worry about getting into a car accident. This would do more damage to the other vehicle before it barely dented.

"What a piece of crap."

I squeezed my eyes shut, praying I was just in a nightmare. "Matt, don't make me do it," Jimmy said lowly. He never showed this side of him unless he was protecting one of his friends.

"Don't say that," Matt said softly to... His thing. I don't even bother with her name. I really don't care.

"Are you actually protecting her feelings?" She scoffed.

I sat up to glare at her. "I don't care what you say about me, but don't say shit about my Cruiser," I said softly, not really putting up a fight.

"I don't see what's so great about it," she said, rolling her eyes.

"And everyone's going to be saying that about your face if you don't shut the hell up," Val said, showing up out of nowhere with a few bags in hand, Janie right behind her.

"Is this the trash that hasn't been taken out yet?" Janie asked, glaring.

"Don't start a fight, guys," I said, getting out of the back, Jimmy following me.

"We're not just going to sit back-"

"It is fine, Janie," I mumbled, closing the back doors, before heading back into the house.

"You're lucky," I heard Val say before I was too far away.

I walked straight upstairs and into my bedroom, softly closing the door behind me. As I curled up into all my pillows and blankets, I could hear Janie yelling at Matt downstairs. I was too tired to even think about going down there and stopping it. I knew someone would pull her off some time or another if things got out of hand.

"Sweetie, wake up," I heard someone softly saying. "Come on, Manda, you gotta wake up." My eyes slowly opened and tried to adjust to the dark room. I looked up to see Brian sitting on the bed next to me.

"Yeah?" I asked, still half asleep. I must've slept all day.

"Manda, are you awake?"

I sighed. "Yes, Brian. What do you need?"

"Can you sit up?" He asked softly. I gave him a weird look, but did so. As soon as I saw the tears in his eyes, I knew what he was going to say. "Manda..."

"No." I shook my head, already feeling the tears come on.

"Baby, you're dad-"

"No!" I didn't want to hear it. If I heard it out loud, then I knew it was true.

I jumped from the bed and ran out of the room. "Manda, come back here!" I ignored him and kept running, until I had bumped into someone.

"Hey, it's okay," Matt said softly, not letting me go. "You have to calm down, Manda."

"What do you care?" I spat.

"I do care," he whispered.

"You could have fooled me!" I continued to struggle with him, but was soon noticing he wasn't letting go anytime soon. So I just gave up and collapsed to my knees.

Brian was by my side a second later, holding me in his arms. "It's going to be okay." He kept saying over and over as he rocked us back and forth.

All I wanted to ask was how?

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short. I felt like it should end there though.