Status: Work in Progress

Down to Earth

Chapter 1 Continued

“Skye, wait.” Bridget grabbed her friend’s arm. “We can’t do this.”
“We have a chance to try and change everything,” Skye faced her friend. “Ninety nine percent of every other planet in every other galaxy acknowledges the fact women can do whatever men can do. Why do we have to be part of the one percent? I want to fly but the closest I’m going to get to that is a flight attendant, and you and your computer’s the best you can get is a secretary job at a computer factory. We can change everything; we can change our lives with just this small step.”
“I hate when you talk like that, it’s so convincing.” Bridget crossed her arms. “But still, we can’t just walk in and demand that they give us jobs.”
“We aren’t,” Skye continued to walk and Bridget caught up to her friend’s side. “I’ve had to go in a few times with my brother, there are pamphlets and handbooks for signing up for free in the entry way. We need to do some research before we just walk in and start demanding things.”
The girls walked up to the statuesque grey military building and entered in threw the clear glass doors. They entered into the small lobby; on their left were the pamphlets and handbooks Skye was talking about.
“Can I help you girls?” A man behind a glass window asked.
“No, we found what we were looking for.” Skye smiled and continued to grab what she needed.
“Who are you getting information for? Your brother?” The man turned towards his computer.
“Nope, it’s all for us.” Bridget turned and Skye followed as they left the building.
Minutes later the girls were sprawled out on the green grass of the local park. Books opened with many different things highlighted.
“So we are looking into Antigravity Walkers or Land Patrol.” Bridget had two of the books open to each the description of each.
“Mainly AW’s, that way I can fly and you can handle the computers.” Skye had a note book out with notes on it, “Either way we need to get into shape.”
“We could start running to town, instead of riding the bus.” Bridget suggested, “Then we could add on weights and cardio and stuff like that.”
“I’ll get some workouts off the internet tonight.” Skye sat her notebook on the grass beside her. “We need to figure out a way for them to at least think about letting us in.”
“We could send them a letter,” Bridget continued to highlight things in the Antigravity Walkers description.
“One won’t work,” Skye brought her hand up to her head to think, “But more than one, we could send one to each rank. More than one.”
“We could call in, send in a bunch of these new recruit applications.” Bridget waved the application in the air, “We will make them think about it.”
“I think we might be able to pull this off.” Skye said with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
So going back and rewriting and such I felt that this needed to be in the first chapter, I don't know why it wasn't when I first wrote it. The joy of re-writing. Comment please. There is more to come, once I figure out the whole chapter thing :)

And while I am on the subject of re-writing, it was brought to my attention that I "stole" this. I did not. I kept the title because I came up with it, and I am vaguely, very vaguely following the plot. The only things I kept was they girls go into the all male military and they go down to earth...hence the title. I ditched all other ideas that I did not come up with on my own and the new Down to Earth has everything new.