Status: hope you enjoy

School Essays

The Giver Essay

The Giver was one of my favorite books. It symbolizes some of the many things I stand for. It symbolizes freedom, choice, and determination. I liked the way the pages of the book spoke for you. Jonas and Gabriel are running away to elsewhere, but they soon realize that being on your own is a lot harder than they thought. They travel through many different habitats and have to rely on an environment that they know nothing about to survive, and they might not. This book is one in a million.
At the end of this book I was mad that Lois Lowry left her readers at a dead end. I thought it was unfair, until I read her speech; then I understood. Lois Lowry spoke that she didn’t write what happens to Jonas and Gabriel because she wants everyone to have their own ending to the story. I think that Jonas was strong, intelligent, and determined. He and Gabriel would have made it because they have been through way too much to quit going. He would never have given up because the determination in himself was too strong. He has seen elsewhere through the memories and has already made it. Why not keep going?
The members of Jonas’ community would have mourned Jonas death. They would have expected to just forget he ever existed, but they won’t. They never will. They will have to deal with Jonas dying for the rest of their lives. The Receiver is long gone and supposedly dead and The Giver will soon be gone too. He will be with his daughter, Rosemary.
I think Lowry’s message to readers is that nothing is worth forgetting: good or bad, because it is those things that make us who we are. They’re apart of us, no matter what. They provide us with memories, memories worth sharing. She shows us that life is full of risks and terrors, and that you have to just live. Sometimes, you have to let your mind run free. But don’t let the fears in your mind, stop you from going elsewhere. You have to follow your heart.
So you see, this book was amazing, and so was the author, Lois Lowry. She is an intelligent and very creative person. She made this book special. Jonas and Gabriel, the Giver, and the members of their community will never be the same. This book is one in a million.