Status: hope you enjoy

School Essays

Sarah Franklin Bache

Sarah Franklin Bache was a strong, intelligent, and generous woman. She was and always will be a hero for the work that she did, and I’m going to tell you why.
Sarah was born on September 11, 1743 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was the youngest daughter of Benjamin Franklin and Deborah Read. Her childhood nickname was Sally. Sarah married Richard Bache on October 29, 1767. She had eight children: Benjamin, William, Sarah, Eliza, Louis, Deborah, Richard, and Sarah. Her eldest daughter, Sarah, died at just 1 year old and eldest son died of yellow fever in 1798.
Sarah joined Esther De Berdt Reed’s fund-raising committee, known as ’The Ladies Association of Philadelphia’. Their purpose was to raise money for the Continental Army. She took over the committee after Esther Reed passed away in 1780. During her leadership, the committee raised over $300,000. She and a crew of seamstresses also sewed over two thousand shirts for the soldiers.
After the war ended in 1781, Sarah went back to being a good wife and mother. In 1794 Mr. Bache moved to a farm near the Delaware river, sixteen miles from Philadelphia. He named it Settle after his birthplace. Sarah developed cancer in 1807 and went back to Philadelphia for treatment but it was incurable. She died on October 05, 1808.
Sarah Franklin Bache helped raise money for soldiers that were fighting for our independence. Without Sarah Bache the Continental Army wouldn’t have had as much money to buy the supplies to fight and win as they did. She is definitely a hero.
Sarah Bache is a hero because she raised money and sewed tee shirts for the soldiers of the Continental Army, who were at war with Britain. I can’t say that she is the reason that America stands here today as a free country. I can only say that she is one of the heroes that have made it so.