Status: hope you enjoy

School Essays

Slavery Developement in the Colonies

Slavery in Africa before the arrival of the Europeans was, in my opinion, not as bad as slavery in the Americas. African slaves had many more benefits than American slaves. First of all, when a kinship group─ a family, buys a slave it is almost like that slave is becoming a member of that kinship. Slaves could also marry and the their children wouldn’t technically be slaves. African slaves were aloud to do more than just work on the farm. They could be other things like soldiers and administrators. Another thing that African slaves could do was move up in society and even move out of slavery.
Slaves in medieval Europe were known as serfs. A serfs life was hard. Serfs did not own land. They worked for their master for the use of his land. Serfs also had to pay certain fees to their master. Their master could work or tax them however he pleased.
Indentured servants were people who worked for someone for a certain amount of time, usually seven years. In return their master paid for their trip over to America, food, and shelter. About 100,000 to 150,000 people were indentured servants, some Africans.
There were very few African indentured servants. They probably had a lot on there plate. I sure many people looked down on them because they were different.
The change from African indentured servants to African racial slavery was basically because of lack of indentured servants. Though they had over 100,000 indentured servants they needed more. That’s how they got the idea of racial slavery.
Racial slavery solved the problem of need of laborers in the colonies. I think that the only way that colonists justified racial slavery was by saying that the slaves’ own African peoples sold their family in the first place and that peoples that would sell there own are no better than farm animals. They were basically making excuses so they could sleep at night.
The Growth of racial slavery affected also the colonists growth. With more laborers there was more food and more food meant less starvation and people lived longer and had more children.
♠ ♠ ♠
These paragraphs were originally on separate slides in Microscoft PowerPoint.