The Only Exception

Stranger Danger

"Lydia? What are you doing here?" Jesse called from behind me. I lowered my hand from my brow and trotted towards him. Blood rushing to my freezing fingers, causing them to throb.

"Where's Shaun?"

"Why? What's up? I thought you were leaving. Did something happen with Ames?"

"No, nothing. He's doing better. But where is he?" My voice becoming more urgent as I waited for him to ask more questions.

Ames and I were sitting on the floor in the living room when the doorbell rang. Maxine had gotten to it before I could, my heart felt like it was going into palpitations. Shaun's voice was happy, although Max's was strained. I knew I should have never told her beforehand, she would have figured it out once Shaun got here. Not to mention, she wouldn't have harassed me the rest of the day, although I think she was put up to some of it by our mother. I got to them before Shaun could go to the living room. Max swiftly went back to the living room to continue entertaining Ames until the unveiling.

"Shaun," I stated with my heart apparent in my throat.

"Lydia!" He hugged me, his hair and scent brushing against my cheek. Pursing my lips I grinned skittishly. "How's it going?"

"Well, um, I--" My face flushed and he laughed. "I don't know how to…"

"Ok, you can tell me anything." It killed me a little hearing that. Shaun still maintained that with me? Even after a few years of not speaking to each other? I chuckled and nodded.

"Just promise you won't be mad at me?"

"Yeah, of course." Shaun shrugged, "Well… so long as it isn't your husband or something. I'd be a little mad you didn't invite me to the wedding." My chuckles grew nervous…

"And you have to let me explain--"

"Ames! Stop!" I heard Max shout and her feet stumbling to get up.

"Mama!" He called coming through the doorway with a Tonka truck in hand. "Are they here yet?!"

Shaun stared for a second and then back to me, disbelief on his face. I wasn't sure if it was because he thought it was impossible for me to have child, or if it was because how much Ames resembled him. Maxine came out red in the face and gave me a look of guilt. I nodded in sign of forgiveness. There was nothing we could do now…

I cleared my throat and grabbed Ames's hand, "This is the person I wanted you to meet."

"Hey…" Shaun nearly whispered as he bent down. Ames quickly let go of me and came up to him. Normally I would have found it hilarious how they scanned each other over. "I'm Shaun. Wh-what's your name?"

"Ames Cameron White." At that moment I almost fainted, while Maxine held in a giggle. There are times when I wished Ames wasn't as social as he was… I wished he believed in stranger danger more.

Shaun's face was pale, each freckle stood out even more, and I saw his mouth hang slack. Crossing my arms I stood silently, not sure of what to say. In fact, I wasn't even sure what Shaun was thinking. Just like the first time at the book store when we saw each other his usual radiating personality seemed to have folded into himself for a moment. Maybe that's what scared me. Maybe that's what made me so jittery.

"I have more trucks. We can go play," He held out the toy in his hand, Shaun blinked a few times. Ames grew hastily impatient with him and went back to the living room babbling something. Maxine, warily rubbed the back of her next and then silently left the area.

"Dia," He managed to sputter out.

"I hope you aren't mad… and I promise he's yours."

"Whoa! He's mine?- I-I trust you." He pushed himself off the floor, and stood in front of me with a serious face.

"You aren't mad though? Are you?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Shaun ran a hand over his chin, I looked away.

"I'm so sorry though. I jus- Look, I just…" I stuttered suddenly feeling that he might view my reasons as insignificant.

"So, he's four?" The color had finally returned to his face.

"Wha- Five. Just last month."

"Wow," he wheezed out, his mouth twitched at the corners. His face wasn't quite frowning, but there was some sort of pain. "So, does he know how to surf?"

"No?" I was confused as to why that mattered. The conversation had changed paced several times already and my head was spinning, "I had to sell my board."

"Can I teach him then?"

Dumbfounded my mouth was moving before I knew what it was doing. I supposed he could spend a day with Ames. It wouldn't be breaking the rule I had made. It wouldn't be letting Shaun get too involved, by the sounds of it Shaun wanted to be the best uncle in the world.

"Wha-- O-ok."
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, so Ames Cameron is supposed to be a play on Aims Camera, since Lydia likes photography… Idk I thought it was funny… :)

If I get a few comments I might feel nice and in the Christmas spirit and post another chapter