Lost in Stereo

Jack's Idea of Bonding is Creepy

Jade's Point of View

“Come on, bond with me,” Jack pleaded the next morning. “Please!”

“No,” I grumped. I was still in my pajamas when Jack dragged me out of bed and forced my ass into the bathroom with him. He was standing in front of me, holding out some q-tips.

“Please!” he begged again.

“Jack, it is too early for this shit,” I said through gritted teeth. “And why on earth would I want to bond with you by cleaning our ears out at the same time?”

“Because personal hygiene brings us closer together!” he exclaimed, throwing an arm around me and handing me the q-tip.

“Jesus Christ.” I ducked out from under his arm, walked over to the door, shut the lights off, and stomped out. I went back to my room, packed my current pair of pajamas, and finished off with all my last minute items, like my iPod, laptop, cell phone, charger, and playing cards. I threw on a pair of ripped jeans, my Converse, a black t-shirt with a green design and a leather jacket. I did my makeup, consisting of a few swipes of eyeliner, some mascara, and a little lip gloss. I grabbed my backpack and suitcase and wheeled it out into the kitchen, where Mom was waiting with breakfast.

Jack walked in a moment later. “Mom, Jade won’t bond with me.”

“What do you mean?” Mom asked, setting down our plates of waffles.

Jack sat down next to Mom’s usual seat and dug in. “She won’t clean her ears with me.”

Mom shot me a look like she didn’t know what in the world Jack was talking about. I threw my hands up as if to surrender. “Don’t look at me, I just sadly live here.”

We ate in silence mostly with Jack stopping to burp occasionally. Mom had to keep telling him to mind his manners and that she hoped he didn’t act like this on tour. After we finished up, Jack announced, “Well, I think it’s time to be hitting the old dusty trail.”

We said our good-byes, that familiar heat of resentment present between my mother and me. Jack and I loaded up the car and left, Jack driving a familiar route. I could feel a little ball of nervousness brewing in my stomach.

“Where are we going?” I asked, fully knowing the answer.

“We have to go to Alex’s to pick him and Skye up,” Jack replied. “Why the fuck do you have to ask? You could drive there with your eyes closed.”

I nodded, instantly regretting ever agreeing to this dumbass tour idea. As we approached their house, I could already see Skye and Alex standing outside. Skye was standing there looking utterly pissed off. Alex looked happy as could be until he saw me sitting in the passenger seat. His face fell, as I’m sure mine did as well.

Alex and Skye climbed in the back after they loaded their belongings into the trunk. Skye and I said hello and Alex and Jack looked like they were borderline molesting each other. Jack pulled out and we headed over to the lot where the bus was. We got stuck sitting at a light next to some girl who looked extremely tired and sad with her cheeks wet.

“That girl looks like shit,” Alex commented.

“Maybe her boyfriend just broke up with her,” I blurted out.

Alex shrugged, an edge in his voice. “Still no excuse for looking like shit.”

I was tempted to turn around and start arguing with him, but I could see Skye’s face in the mirror behind me, shooting me warning glances. I let out a slow sigh and kept quiet. Jack accelerated the car as the light turned and left the girl at the light.

We finally arrived at the bus lot and got out, Alex and I avoiding each other like the plague. I buddied up with Skye and stood around with her while we waited for some of the other guys to get there. In the mean time, we chit-chatted with Rian and Matt Flyzik. I tried not to pay attention to his Mickey Mouse shorts. I also tried not to look too annoyed when I heard Alex laughing with Jack, but it was hard when all I heard was them yelling at each other, “Shit mothafucka, I’m just trying to get my penguin dick wet.”

I smacked my head into my hand.

“What’s wrong?” Skye asked.

“Nothing,” I answered. “Just getting a headache.”

Skye gave me a funny look. “Uh, okay then.” She looked like she was about to say something else, but then Jack started yelling for her to come over and check something out on his phone. She told me she’d be right back and went over to Jack, which left me with Matt and Rian. Matt got a call and excused himself, so Rian and I stood by ourselves in awkward silence for a few moments.

“How’s it going?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Okay, I guess.”

“I heard about all the college stuff,” Rian said. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks,” I smiled, probably for the first time all day.

“Jack’s really proud of you, you know,” Rian offered. “He talks about you all the time.”

“That’s kind of creepy,” I said. “He wanted us to clean our ears simultaneously in the bathroom this morning.”

“That’s a little concerning,” Rian agreed. “But we all like hearing his stories and stuff. Even Alex.”

I looked over my shoulder at Alex, Jack, and Skye, only to be met by a stare from Alex. He looked away quickly, scowling. “Somehow I seriously doubt that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, please, please comment and all that jazz!