Status: Woot! Completed and happy. ^^

Arranged

Second Proposal

Nessa would've been ecstatic to learn that Rhone would be gone for a week, but she had a feeling that he'd find a way to make himself a nuisance even if he wasn't there.
And she was right.
It was Thursday - two days after his self-proclaimed girlfriend's threat - and Nessa was walking in to Home Ec with Shade when she got the feeling that something was going to happen. She was right again. Not even halfway through the class, a middle-aged man in a red vest and black pants waltzed in wit ha large box.
Shade and Nessa - not to mention everyone else - were elbow-deep in blueberries, mushing them up to make jam. She'd never heard of blueberry jam before, but who was she to judge?
The man walked right up to her and set the box down, opening it up to reveal three sparkling tiers of jewelry. Nessa merely glanced at it, uninterested as she went back to mashing the fruit.
The man cleared his throat. "Excuse me," he said, pushing up the glasses on his large nose. "I've been sent by Mr. Blossom. He wishes for you to choose a piece."
Nessa sighed. Shade stopped mashing his share and watched them with curious eyes. "I'm not picking one of those," she said, then went back to work.
"I was told not to leave until you pick one," the man said stiffly.
Nessa glared at him. Stupid Rhone. Damn boy did not know when to call it quits. "Are you telling me you're going to follow me around all day?"
"You know stalking is illegal," Shade put in with a smile. Nessa had to smile back.
"Sorry, ma'am," the man said. "I could lose my job if you don't choose one."
Girls swarmed around her, looking at the jewels with excited eyes, cooing over how pretty they were. She had to admit, the assortment of necklaces, earrings and bracelets were very pretty, but Nessa knew they all probably cost an arm and a leg.
She squinted at them. "Just one?"
The man seemed to visibly relax, making Nessa feel a little sorry for the poor guy. He was only doing his job, after all. "Yes, ma'am. He said only one piece you wish."
Each piece was as gaudy as the next, and she would never choose any one of them for herself, but she had to choose one. "Which one is the least expensive?"
The man gave a soft smile, wrinkles forming about his eyes. "He said you might ask that." He closed up the case and pulled out a smaller box from his pocket. "He also said that if you did, then this is the piece you'll have."
He opened the box and she sucked in a breath, shocked. Not because it was gaudy or huge, but because it was the opposite. It was exactly what she'd pick if it had been in that case. A simple silver necklace of an intricately woven leaf. It was pretty, but a far cry from the sparkling diamonds and rubies in that first box.
Nessa hands itched to touch it, to own it, but she kept them firmly in the blueberries. "Let me guess; That one's more expensive than all of those in that case of yours combined?"
The man smiled and surprised her by looping the chain around her neck and securing the fastener. "He special-ordered it himself. Sat down with the manager for an hour asking all manner of questions about what a certain type of girl would like."
Nessa's face heated. "He did?" Her throat was dry and she looked down at the necklace. Why would he go through so much trouble?
Shade was glad his hands were submerged in the blueberries so no one could see how they fisted. He looked away, hiding his face from Nessa. He knew it would be red with anger. With jealousy.
Damn. What was he going to do? He was falling in love with a married woman. .

Image

"I knew it," Sade said to Shade, crossing his arms with a smug look on his face. "I knew you would fall for her. I told you to watch it."
Shade leaned back in his chair. He and his brother didn't share a room, but with how often Sade wound up in his made Shade feel that there was no difference. Not that he minded. His brother was his favorite person. Besides Nessa.
He sighed heavily. This was a problem. Nessa was becoming increasingly important to him, too. And that could not happen. She was married. To an asshole who tried to buy her love. With gifts she liked.
He shoved away from his desk and flopped down on his bed, his legs hanging over the edge, and covered his face with his hands. He made a frustrated sound. "It would've been great if it was anyone but her."
"You gotta start somewhere," Sade said. He smoothed a hand through his brother's hair. When it came to love, he was the big brother. "It's not that bad. It's not like she likes Rhone anyway."
Shade pulled his arms down and looked back at his brother, who was propped up against the wall, his feet spread out in front of him. "You didn't see the way she reacted to the necklace. To all the damn trouble he went through to make it for her. It pisses me off."
Sade smiled, enjoying this. For years his brother had no interest in dating, so it was about time he started. "Welcome to the world of jealousy."
Shade snorted. "This world sucks. I want another one."
Sade laughed. "Too bad, big bro. You just gotta deal. But I say you make a move."
Shade's brow raised. "A move?"
Sade rolled his eyes. "Yes, a move, you 'tard. Rhone's gone right now. Now's the time to get in there and sweep Nessa off her feet!"
Shade exhaled deeply. "I don't have a chance, Sade. She's-"
"Married," he finished. "And so's Rhone. Doesn't stop him from jumping from bed to bed, does it? So go get into Nessa's."
"Hey!' Shade exclaimed, his face going red as his brother laughed. "I'm not just after getting into her bed, you know?"
"Yup. I know. You're a prude, anyway." He patted Shade's head. "But you could try instead of moping about it. Affect her while you have a chance. Ask her out."
Shade squinted at him. Sade had always been the expert on love, and though Shade had had a few crushes, he hadn't done anything about them. He just hadn't wanted to.
"Like on a date?" he squeaked. He got nervous just thinking about it. "I can't do that."
Sade rolled his eyes again. "Of course you can." He reached over and pulled Shade's phone from his pocket and searched out Nessa's number.
"Hey!" Shade said, grabbing for the phone. "Sade! Don't do it! Bad little brother. Give back the phone."
Sade laughed, holding him off as the phone dialed. Nessa picked up on the fourth ring.
"She picked up," Sade mouthed. Shade stopped moving instantly and hid his face behind his hands, peeking out through his fingers.
"Hello?" Nessa's voice came through the receiver.
Sade pitched his voice a little lower and straightened his face. "Nessa? Hey, it's Shade."
"What's up?"
Sade heard rustling in the background and metal sliding against metal. A shower curtain. He smiled wickedly. Turning the phone away from his mouth, he mouthed, "She just got out of the shower."
Shade's face went bright red and he groaned, hiding it again and shaking his head, muttering about how Sade didn't really love him at all.
"I was wondering if. . " Sade faked being embarrassed. "Well, would you like to go out tomorrow?"
The rustling stopped and Sade pictured her straightening from whatever it was she was doing. "Like a date?"
Sade smiled. Her voice was a little hesitate, but he heard hope in there, too. Hope was good. "Yeah. . Kinda. Well, yeah. A date. Me and you. I don't know. We could go see a movie, or something."
"Uh. . " He heard Nessa suck in a breath. "Actually, I haven't been into town yet. Why don't you show me around?"
Sade winked at Shade, silently telling him it was a go. Shade fell backwards and threw a pillow over his face, muffling the scream he released. Sade had a hard time not laughing.
"Shade?" Nessa asked, grabbing his attention back. "Bad idea?"
"No, no. Good idea," Sade said. "Sounds great. After school tomorrow, then. . . Yeah. . Bye."
"Sade! You. . You. . " Shade made a frustrated sound, not knowing what to call his sneaky little brother. What was he going to do? Nessa was going on a date with him tomorrow! He threw the pillow at Sade.
Sade laughed. "Hey. I just did you a favor, bro."
Shade flopped back on the bed and flung an arm over his eyes, completely embarrassed. "What kind of damage did you do?"
Sade flopped next to him on his stomach, smiling. "You guys are meeting after school tomorrow."
"Caught that part. Next."
"You're going to show her around town."
Shade raised his head in surprise. "Show her around town? That's. . Easy." He let his head drop, relieved. He laughed. "Thank God. I though you were gonna make me do something crazy."
"Me?" Sade asked innocently.
Shade rolled his eyes. "Yes, you. The bane of my existence."
Sade cuddled up to his side, setting his head on Shade's shoulder, smiling. "You love me anyway."
Shade let out a laugh, smiling at the top of his little brother's head. "Sadly, yes."
"Can I sleep in here tonight?" he asked drowsily, yawning.
Shade frowned, then sighed when he noticed that Sade was already half asleep. It was amazing how he went from being completely hyper one minute to sleeping the next. It wore him out.
"Yeah," Shade relented, reaching over to turn off the light. He laid in silence for a few minutes, his mind running rampant with worry about the date.
"Hey, Sade?" he asked softly.
"Hmm?"
Shade pulled the blankets up and over them, then waited for his sleepy brother to curl up against him again. He smiled. "Thanks."
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to show the brother's relationship. This chapter's probably a little short, but meh. I got what I wanted to say and it's shorter than "First Rejection" (which is my fave chapter. lol)
Thank you very much for reading this far and staying interested. I've already started the next chpt so that'll probably be up soon too. And can somebody PLEASE tell me how to use italics on this site. I can't figure it out to save my life. Message me if you do, please, it would be very VERY much appreciated.
Please comment!! Rate or whatever. I would really like to know what you guys think, or what you want to happen. Ask me questions and stuff. Please and thank you. ^^