Status: Woot! Completed and happy. ^^

Arranged

First Heartbreak

The next two days of school were relatively quiet - on the outside. Students avoided Nessa and the twins like the Plague, whispering and pointing whenever they walked by. Rumors spread like wildfire around the campus. Bets had been made as well to see how long Rhone's new "target" lasted before he claimed her. And when Nessa and Shade had walked the corridors hand-in-hand, more rumors had erupted, more bets wagered.
Nessa was just grateful that no rumor had connected her as Rhone's "secret wife". And she'd like to keep it that way.
So all was relatively quiet on the outside, but on the inside, Nessa was completely confused. About Shade. He'd never officially asked her to be his girlfriend, but they had already gone on a date and they'd kissed. A lot. That made Nessa think they were an item, but what if she was wrong? It was entirely possible that things didn't work that way here.
And she was married. Couldn't forget that. Nessa had no idea how Shade felt about being her. . uh. . Mister. Maybe "Lover" was a better title?
Nessa sighed. What did it matter what title he had? The fact was, she was cheating on her dick husband. And he was - or had - done the same.
Nessa stopped walking, an idea entering her mind like a flash. As the idea sunk in, she could only smile. Why in the hell hadn't she thought of it before?
Thanking her luck that it was lunch, she ran to Shade and Sade, told them she had some phone calls to make, and ran to find somewhere quiet. She found that place in the Performing Arts wing in a large music room with white-tiled floors and a black grand piano. It was quiet, relatively soundproof and private. It was the perfect place to talk to a lawyer.

Image

Nessa was furious. Absolutely pissed. She'd thought she'd found an answer to all her problems. Well, that phone call had proved her wrong. It had also made her miss Home EC and half of Civics and Econ, but that was besides the point.
The point was, she had thought all she had to do was talk to a lawyer and she could pend a divorce. Or an annulment. Something. But as soon as the attorney had heard her name, he'd politely informed her that without the go-ahead from Rhone or Louis themselves, then they were ordered - and probably paid, too, it seemed - to not issue any legal document of the nature under her name.
That had shot her whole future into the crapper. What was she supposed to do now? She was stuck in a marriage no one wanted with a boyfriend on the side that wasn't really her boyfriend yet, with her husband's psycho girlfriend after her blood, and a perverted Father-In-Law that thought it was okay to sleep with his son's wife. .
God, she wanted to cry. Or scream. Or beat Rhone up. Again. She'd have to wait for that last one, though, since he didn't come back until tomorrow.
"Fucking bastard," she cursed, heading out of the school gate. Sade and Shade waved as she walked towards them, but she never got far enough to tell them the bad news. Maybe fifty feet from them, a black, unmarked car with tinted windows pulled up along the sidewalk next to her, opened its back door and pulled her inside. She only got a small squeal out before the door closed and they drove off.

Image

Rhone was late. Pissed off and late. As he sat in the back of a random limo that had been sent to him and was speeding through the streets, he checked his watch and fixed skinny, black tie.
Fuck, he was nervous as hell. He hated that Nessa did that to him, but he also couldn't help the excitement he felt building at the thought of seeing her after six days. He'd practically taken whips to his band in an attempt to finish and get home a day early. It had been extremely hard, and definitely exhausting, but they'd managed.
Now he straightened his black vest and fixed the collar to his too-stiff white button-up and pulled the cuffs on his black long-coat in a vain attempt to calm his racing heart. It didn't work, so he pressed the button for the mirror to pop and checked the rest of himself in the reflection.
He'd had his nails freshly painted black, so those were fine and his black eyeliner wasn't smudged, so everything was good face-wise. Ugh, but his hair needed to be combed badly. It was windblown and crazy around his head - probably from his mad dash out of his private jet and through the airport to this fucking slow limo.
He pulled a comb from his pocket and started fixing his hair, flicking his gaze to the driver through the divider. "Can't you go any faster?'
The driver gave a smile that even Rhone could tell was forced. "Sorry, sir. Traffic is pretty bad today."
Rhone cursed, finished fixing his hair, and sat back in a huff. Damn, he was tired. He'd rather just go home and go to sleep, but he'd been planning this for nearly a week. And he always followed through with his plans.
His phone rang and he reached into his pocket, flipped it open and barked out a "What?"
It was Joshua. "Rhone, Mr. Louis wanted me to inform you of something."
"What is it?" he asked angrily. "And you better be alone if you're calling me by my first name."
He could hear the smile in Joshua's voice as he spoke. "I am, don't worry. Anyway. Mr. Louis wanted me to tell you that Nessa put a call through to an attorney this morning."
Rhone stiffened, then slumped back into his seat, looking out his window. "Did she?" He tried to sound uninterested, but had a feeling that Joshua saw right through him.
"She did," Joshua answered. He felt like a rat, going behind Nessa's back as he was. "She couldn't get anywhere, of course, but she did try."
Rhone's hand fisted. "About?" He silently prayed that it wasn't about the marriage, but his gut told him that it was.
"A divorce," Joshua said simply. "That and an annulment."
Rhone let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding and squeezed his eyes shut. A sharp pain stabbed into his heart, but he shoved it aside. "Yeah. Alright," he said, not really knowing what else to say. "Is everything ready?"
There was a pause, as if Joshua wanted to say something. Obviously, he thought better of it, because he said, "Yes, Young Master. Nessa is there waiting."
Rhone opened his eyes and stared out the window, watching the lights of the city pass with little interest. "Good, I'll be there shortly." With a snap of his phone, he cut off the call and sank even further into his seat.
He ran his hands over his face, then sighed and went back to staring out the window. His chest hurt. What the hell was wrong with him? He'd already expected her to call an attorney months ago. It's not like it would get her anywhere, but still. So why was it hurting so much to know that she had? Why was it hard to breathe any time he thought about how much she hated him? She'd punched him, for fuck's sake! It was so obvious.
"The obvious fucking hurts," he muttered, rubbing his chest.
He sighed again, fixing his gaze on the ceiling.
"We're almost there, sir," the driver said.
Rhone was sitting straight in an instant, his heart going a mile a minute. He ran his hands over himself again and punched the button for the mirror. One more check wouldn't hurt.
He was just pulling out his comb again to straighten his already-perfect hair when he stopped. Suddenly, something occurred to him and he laughed. He laughed long and hard until the driver was slipping him weird looks.
Wiping his eyes, he leaned forward on his knees and looked through his hair at his reflection, smiling sadly. "Well, Rhone, you're fucked. Completely and totally fucked."
It was so obvious. His heart hurt, he couldn't breathe when he saw her and he thought of her 24/7 for one reason and one reason only: He was fucking in love with his wife.

Image

Nessa was even more pissed than before she had left school. Those damn guys - after one hell of a fight - had forced her to go into a majorly girly store that had everything from shoes to nail salons and left with a bunch of clerks while they guarded the doors. The girls had then proceeded to pull out a massive array of dresses - all of them beyond frilly and utterly stupid -before she'd come flat out and told them she was not, under any circumstances, getting into something that pink.
After nearly twenty minutes of arguing, they'd settled on a black, off-the-shoulder dress with a built-in corset, full skirt that had the effect of a shredded hem that revealed a dark red netting under it - for volume, they'd said - and had a not-so-rose-like rose of dark red at the left hip. That same red netting popped out of the top of the sweetheart neckline, too. The girls had then stuck her in a pair of ridiculously high, black pumps that had red soles and started fussing with her hair, makeup and nails.
When they'd proclaimed her "finished" hours later, she'd come out with her mass of brown curls piled onto her head and cascading down her back, her lips painted a deep red she'd never thought she'd be able to pull off and her eyes a smokey temptation of professional artistry. They'd also painted her nails a black that reminded her of Rhone, unfortunately. However, this nail polish glittered with dull silver flecks.
The Men In Black had then forced her back into their car and escorted her all the way to where she was now, which was nowhere she knew. It was the top of a tall building - probably some fancy hotel - with the floor they'd taken an elevator to serving as a restaurant. Windows lined the wall next to the table she was sitting at and, though it was freakishly high up and made her somewhat dizzy, she had to admit that the view of the sun setting in the background, splashing red and gold light on the changing leaves and the mirrored buildings was beautiful.
She must be in the next city over. They hadn't driven far enough to be any further. . She hoped. Whoever had done this knew how to impress a girl. Not to mention scare and piss her off. She couldn't even enjoy the wine her missing date had ordered for her from Gods knew where. At least she'd been able to keep her cellphone, so she wasn't completely bored.
"Oh, crap on toast," Nessa swore. She slipped open the cell and quickly dialed Shade's number. In all the confusion, she'd totally forgotten that they thought she was kidnapped.
"Nessa!" Shade's relieved voice came over the receiver. "Where are you? Are you okay?"
Nessa felt the tension leave her slightly. "Yeah. I'm fine. And, technically?" She looked around, sighed. "I have no idea where I am."
"Hey! Shade, let me talk to her!" She heard Sade faintly.
There was some wrestling with the phone, then Shade was back. Nessa thought she heard sniffling in the background. That and Joshua.
"Hey. . " Nessa started. "Where are you?"
"Well, after you. . left we had no idea where to start looking, so we kind of ended up at your house."
Nessa had to smile. That explained Joshua. "Right. So do you guys have any idea what's going on?"
Shade sighed. "No. Joshua wouldn't tell us anything."
"He knows something!" Sade yelled from the background. This time Nessa heard Joshua laugh.
Nessa rubbed her forehead. "Okay. If Joshua knows what's going on, then it can't be that bad."
Shade was quiet for a minute. "Do you really think so?"
A waiter came up to her, bowing slightly. "Your guest has arrived, ma'am."
Nessa looked in the direction the waiter was pointing and sucked in a breath.
"Nessa?" came Shade's voice. "What's wrong?"
"Shade? I'm gonna have to call you back," she said as she stared. "No. Wait. Just wait up for me, okay?"
"Is everything okay?" he asked, obviously worried.
"I wouldn't say 'fine'," she said, her irritation back as her "guest" shrugged off his jacket and handed it to the waiter, sitting down opposite her. "But I can fix that. Miss you. 'Bye."
"Ne-"
She snapped the phone shut and leaned her elbows on the table, tapping her fingers together as she glared across the table. "What's this about, Rhone?"
Rhone was dazzled by her. She looked stunning. It was obvious she'd chosen the dress herself since it wasn't any of the ones he'd picked out with her in mind. It didn't matter to him that she was angry for some unknown reason. And the fact that she'd called a lawyer earlier meant nothing. As soon as he'd seen her, his heart hurt in a different way and he could only smile.
And he smiled now, forgetting what she'd asked and said softly instead, "You look beautiful."
Nessa jerked straight, shocked, and blushed, looking away. "That's not an answer. What are you up to?" She smoothed her hands over the white tablecloth.
Unable to help himself, Rhone reached out and took one of her hands, marveling at how small it was. He rubbed his thumb across the back. Her skin was so soft. He shifted in his seat. If he left his mind to wander, he'd come in his pants before dinner was through.
"I'm not allowed to have a date with my wife?" he asked with a wicked smile.
Nessa frowned, pulling her tingling hand away. He was up to something. She grabbed her water, forsaking the wine, and took a sip. She had no idea what he wanted - besides up her skirt - but she was not going to be fooled by his "sweet" demeanor.
"A date?" she asked carefully. "We're dating now?" Even she had to wince at the heavy sarcasm in her voice. If it had been anyone else, she might have appreciated the gesture, but, dammit, she was pissed off. At being cornered into this marriage and then being kidnapped all in one day.
Rhone sighed, frowning out the window the waiter came by at that time and he waved a hand dismissively. "The usual. For her, too." When he bowed and left, Rhone turned his attention on Nessa. hid wife. "Who do you miss?"
The question was so out of the blue that Nessa's mind went blank with surprise. "Huh?"
Rhone tapped a finger on the table. "Earlier. You were talking on the phone with someone and said you miss them. Who was it?"
"Oh." Nessa was still in shock, so she didn't think of evading the answer. "It was Shade."
Rhone's frown deepened and he fisted his hand on the table. "Didn't you just see him earlier? Why do you miss him already?" And not me, he added silently.
Nessa wrinkled her nose at him. "Of course I'd miss him. He's my-" She stopped, set her glass down and frowned. "Friend," she finished lamely. She glared at Rhone. "What's it matter to you anyway?"
Rhone closed his eyes, pain squeezing his heart. Fuck, he could see it so clearly. Only five days and they'd already evolved their relationship. It hurt, and it pissed him off.
"So you're going out, then," he couldn't help but say. It wasn't a question. The facts were clear as day. The shock on Nessa's face only confirmed it. He sighed. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised," he grumbled. "He's not that bad looking." He waved a hand in the air. "But that doesn't matter. Break up with him."
Nessa nearly spat out her water. "Excuse me?"
Rhone crossed his arms. "He's not right for you. And besides, you're mine."
Nessa slammed her cup down. "Like hell I am!" She lowered her voice when people around them turned their heads. "What the hell gives you the right to tell me who I can date or not?"
"I'm your husband," Rhone said simply. "If you're going to mess around, at least do it with someone that can measure up to my level." Fuck, what was he saying? He didn't want her to date anyone at all. Well, no one except him.
Nessa sat back with a thump. What the hell went through this idiot's head? His thought-pattern made no sense whatsoever. How could he expect what he just said to be an answer to anything?
She laughed a little, she was that shocked. "Rhone. . No, husband. I don't know what makes you think that the title as my spouse gives you the authority to decide who I hang out, make out or sleep with, but I'll tell you this: If I had the choice, I never would have met you. And I would gladly sign divorce papers if anyone had them handy just so I could never see your face again."
"I know," Rhone said softly, more than a little hurt. This had to stop, he was becoming a wimp around her.
Nessa blinked. "You know?"
Rhone sipped his wine. "Do you really think that I don't keep tabs on any major decision affecting my future?" He raised his glass to her in mock salute. "And whether you like it or not, you are my future."
Nessa snorted. "Not if I can help it."
The waiter placed steaming plates of steak in front of them and Nessa's mouth watered. Her stomach growled, reminding her that she hadn't eaten at all today.
"That doesn't change the fact that I want you to break up with him," Rhone said when the waiter left, cutting into his steak. "It's as simple as that. I'm the only one suited for you." He put a piece of meat into his mouth and decided it was the right decision to bring her here. This place was the best.
Nessa could only stare at him. Slowly, she set her fork and knife down before they got her into some very permanent trouble that involved Rhone's tongue and a chopping block. She stood. "You and I have two very different opinions about that."
Rhone smirked at her. "Really?" He pointed his knife at her neck. "Then why are you wearing the necklace I had made for you still?"
Nessa looked down at the silver leaf dangling there on its chain and frowned. To be perfectly honest, she'd completely forgotten about it after that day. She'd been too busy worrying over her date with Shade and forgotten to take it off. Well, there was no time like the present.
Easily, Nessa reached up and grabbed the fragile necklace. She yanked on it, satisfied - and a little upset - when the chain broke.
Unceremoniously, she dropped it on the table. "Thanks for reminding me," she said, smiling sweetly as Rhone stared at the necklace as if his heart had been ripped out. It was an expression Nessa never thought she'd see on Rhone Blossom's stuck-up face. For some reason, it made her chest tight. "I meant to throw it out earlier. Shade made me forget all about it." His eyes flicked up to her face at that and for a moment she actually thought he might cry, but she reminded herself who she was dealing with and grabbed at the ends of her anger. "You see, husband, the distance between your stage and Shade's may be vast, but there's something he's got that you'll never get." She forced another smile, tapping her chest. "That would be my respect. And no amount of flowers or jewelry can ever make me give that to someone like you."

Image

Slowly, Rhone set down his knife and fork and reached a hand out towards the necklace. It hovered there for a second before he gently picked up the silver leaf. He cradled it in his palm.
She hadn't meant it. She couldn't have. She wouldn't have thrown it out. The man who'd given it to her had told him that her expression had been near to drooling. That she'd most definitely loved it. So there was no way she'd throw it out. Right?
Rhone traced the silver with his fingers, turning it over. He wondered if she'd actually looked at it. If she'd seen what was written on the back. At the time, Rhone had just done it on impulse, but now. . now he meant it. Now he wanted it.
He let his finger run over the engraved stem. "N & R 4ever," he read, smiling sadly.
Something wet hit his thumb and he blinked in surprise. What the fuck? Was he crying? Hell, no. Pissed at himself, he wiped his eyes, standing and shoving the necklace into his pocket.
There was not time to mope. He had to find some way to make Nessa look his way.
But first Shade had to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kinda feel bad for Rhone in this chapter, but meh. lol
Sorry it took so long to upload. My computer took a crap. >.<
But I'm already working on the next chpater so YAY!! lol
Hmm. I'm kind curious if I have anyone OVER the age of thirteen or sixteen reading this?? I definitely don't mind that they ARE reading, just curious, 'cause that's are the range of age of the subscribers that have commented so far.
PLEASE COMMENT!! Tell me what you think. Any and all comments are very much welcome. I read them all and take them seriously, so don't put it off even if it's the smallest thing. And I'd REALLY like to know who the fave guy is!! Or just fave character. Please and thank you. Thanks bunches for reading. I hope you've enjoyed it so far. . . . Wow, this chapter was really long. lolol. ^^