Status: Woot! Completed and happy. ^^

Arranged

First Try

Nessa arrived at Manor House way late in the evening and was beyond exhausted. Hungry, too, but, at the moment, she wasn't sure she could eat anything. She just wanted to go to her room, throw something, then cry until she fell asleep.
She was riddled with guilt. God, the look on his face when she'd broken the necklace just about tore her heart in half. And maybe that's exactly what she'd done to him. .
She snorted, climbing the steps to the front door. "Right," she muttered. "Like Rhone Blossom has a heart."
Nessa regretted it almost as soon as she said it, pausing as she laid her hand on the doorknob. Everyone had a heart. Rhone just chose to use it less than others. A lot less than others.
Feeling even more guilty, she opened the door and was met by silence. It's not like she expected a parade or something, but she had been kidnapped and gone for the whole day.
"Hello?" she asked the house. It came out tired and slightly irritated. She wasn't surprised, really, but when Joshua came around the corner from the kitchen, she tried for a sad excuse for a smile.
"Nessa," Joshua said. He as relieved to see her, he had to admit. Not only because she was in one piece and looking like a million dollars, but because after she'd hung up on Shade, the teen had nearly paced a hole in the kitchen floor.
Sade hadn't been much calmer, either. He'd poked and prodded trying to get him to spill the goings-on behind Nessa's disappearance. Joshua had to say that it had been cute watching Sade try to wheedle - in every way - to get the information out of him. He hadn't gotten anywhere, but watching his expression go pouty was absolutely adorable.
Now, though, he knew from Nessa's dark expression that he had to play big brother one more time. He went to put a hand on her shoulder, but she held up a hand to stop him.
Shaking her head, she said, "Don't touch me. I don't know what I'll do."
Shit, she sounded seriously tired. Joshua gave a soft smile. "Come on, then." He pointed his thumb at the kitchen. "The twins are waiting and you look starved."
Her brows crinkled. "The twins? What are they- Oh. Right." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "The phone call." She squinted up at him. "I left things a mess, didn't I?"
Joshua rocked back on his heels, his smile flashing. "Yup. But if it's any consolation, the fault is entirely Rhone's."
She gave a wan smile. "Glad to hear."
Nessa turned, and headed to the kitchens. She was tired, but Joshua's promises that she would get food - not to mention the fact that she had some explaining to do - definitely made it easier to drag herself through the house. When she walked in to the way-too-bright kitchen, she zeroed in on Shade first. He was sitting at the bar on one of the six stools there with his elbows on the white counter and his head in his hands. He turned, and Nessa would have smiled since she found it amusing that he looked like he'd been through the emotional meat-grinder instead of her, but her emotions were fried. Ignoring Sade's million-a-minute questions, she rushed Shade, throwing herself into his arms, nearly knocking him off his chair.
She shocked them all by crying. Very, very loudly.
Shade was panicking. Quickly, he looked from Joshua and Sade, but they seemed just as surprised as he was. Hesitantly, Shade put a hand on her head, then wrapped an arm loosely about her. When she cried harder, his face scrunched up in indecision.
Borrowing one of Sade's phrases, he said, "Screw this," and pulled away from Nessa just long enough to bend down and scoop her into his arms. He sat back on the stool and cradled her in his lap, holding her close as she cried on his shoulder.
Knowing it was going to take a while before she was done, Joshua gestured for Sade to reclaim his seat, then started about the kitchen for the makings of a sandwich since Terry had already gone to bed. Then, he took a seat himself. Besides, he had a feeling this was going to be a long night. Might as well be comfortable.

Image

When Nessa had finished crying, she'd been completely embarrassed. So, naturally, she'd filled her mouth with that enticing sandwich - and then a second one right after when Joshua figured out that just one wasn't going to be enough. Now, she was in her own stool at the counter with her heels off and a steaming cup of cocoa between her hands. Three sets of eyes stared patiently at her as she gathered her thoughts to try and make some sense out of the chaos that had happened that day.
She sighed. She had no idea where to begin. "Needless to say, Rhone was behind the kidnapping." She gave them a run-down of what had happened, starting at the phone call to the attorney's during lunch. That one had surprised Shade somewhat and had also pissed him off when she told them what the office's reply had been. When she got to the bit about explaining her newly acquired clothes, Sade had been devastated that he'd missed out, but glad to see she had some taste. And when she'd finally told them what had transpired at dinner, Joshua had been the one with the odd reaction. He'd winced and had a slightly guilty expression instead of a cheering encouragement the others had given.
Nessa looked at the clock on the far wall, then stood, scraping back her chair. "It's nearly two a.m., and I'm pretty sure I look like hell. I'm gonna go change into pj's." She cocked her head at the twins. "Hey. . You guys wanna sleep over? It's already seriously late. And, I don't know about you, but I'm skipping tomorrow."
Sade brightened instantly and Shade and Nessa saw the quick glance he snuck Joshua. "You mean like a slumber party?"
Nessa smiled fondly. Sometimes, Sade reminded her of a little kid. Jay had been like that before. . Well, before. Nessa shoved the unnecessary thoughts away. "Yeah. Like a slumber party."
Joshua cleared his throat. "In separate rooms."
Shade blushed to the roots of his hair at Joshua's pointed look. Which made Nessa blush, too, and he looked away from her. "Y-Yeah. Sure."
Sade bounced out of his seat and followed Joshua out when he left to get them some extra clothes. "Can I see your room, then?"
Nessa and Shade let themselves fall back as Nessa turned out the kitchen lights, and listened to Sade chatter happily with Joshua - who seemed just as happy to let him. At least somebody's night worked out for the best.
Nessa was just crossing the hall to the grand staircase that led to the upper levels when the front door opened and slammed shut. Footsteps sounded, then stopped. She closed her eyes, knowing who it was without looking. Bastard had the worst timing in history.
Gritting her teeth, she kept walking.
"Nessa!" Rhone called. "Wait."
She stopped at the bottom of the staircase. She didn't know why. Maybe it was the pleading in his voice, or maybe it was the guilt she still felt when an image of his expression during dinner flashed across her mind. Whatever it was, she stopped and turned.
She'd been crying, Rhone could see. Her makeup hadn't run or anything, but her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy, her nose a cute pink color. He wondered what had made her cry so hard.
But that wasn't what made him rethink his next words. Nope. After being punched twice and kneed down the very same steps she was about to mount, he'd come to recognize that ice in her eyes. She could freeze Hell over with that look.
He wondered if her gaze was just that impacting when she was hot. Fuck, just thinking about it made him hot.
"What?" she said, her voice chilled and flat. Nessa didn't know what he wanted to say, but unless it was an apology for ruining her life - unlikely - then she was leaving.
He tossed something at her, and, without thinking, she caught it, opening her hands to reveal the silver leaf on it's broken chain.
"It was a gift," he said, shoving his hands into his pockets.
"An unwanted gift," she pointed out, ready to drop the pendant again.
"It was a gift!" he snapped, then clenched his jaw in an effort to control his anger. "I want you to keep it."
She gave him a skeptical look. "Why?"
As he watched, Shade - whom he hadn't even noticed was there - took her hand, linking their fingers together as if to offer support. He watched her squeeze back and he lost tenuous hold on his temper.
"Maybe you would know it you stopped trying to run away and looked close enough!" he yelled. He stormed off the the study in an over-emotional huff. He was jealous of Shade, hurt over Nessa's rejection, angry at himself for being both and guilty that's he'd yelled at her. Again. He just couldn't be the calm and cool person he normally was around Nessa.
He loved her too much to be fake.
Dammit, he wanted to break something.

Image

Nessa led Shade into her room and was surprised when he nearly slammed the door behind them and pushed her into it. "Woah! Shade what-" She didn't get a chance to finish her question, because he grabbed her face and planted one hell of a kiss on her.
"What. . " Nessa panted when he pulled away. She swallowed. "What was that?"
Shade's eyes were closed and he still had a hold of Nessa's face. He was filled with jealousy and he wasn't sure what he'd do if he looked at her again before he calmed down.
"I don't like it," he whispered harshly.
Nessa face went blank in surprise. "You don't like what?"
Shade squeezed his eyes tighter, his face coloring. "I don't like the way he looks at you. I don't like that you have his name. I don't like that you live here." His eyes opened, piercing hers with the force of emotion in them. "You're my girlfriend, so why do you have to be his wife?"
Nessa couldn't help the smile that grew on her face. "I'm your girlfriend?"
Shade kissed her again. "Of course you're my girlfriend. Did you think this past week had just been for fun?"
Nessa smiled. "Well, it has been fun. ."
Shade smiled, wrapping his arms around her. "I can make it better."
Their lips were inches apart, but Nessa ducked away. For once, she didn't want to kiss him. His words had reminded her too much of what Rhone had said the first time they'd met. And that kind of freaked her out.
"Nessa?"
"Uh. ." Nessa looked around quickly, then hurried over to grabbed her pj's off her bed, making a bound to her bathroom. "I'm just gonna get out of this dress."
She turned and almost closed the door when he caught her wrist. "Nessa, wait."
Her heart was pounding and she almost pulled away from him, but the look on his face - the intense emotion there - told her that she couldn't. That to do so might change things. How, she wasn't sure, but she noticed the anxiety in his eyes. The fear.
Shade pushed open the door and grabbed her by the shoulders and sealed their mouths together. He knew something in him had snapped. Something that he hadn't even known existed until he met Nessa. Until he'd touched her, kissed her. And he wanted more.
He reached around behind her and pulled at the zipper, bringing it down in jerks, then laid his hands on her skin. It was warm, soft and smooth. He slid his hands up to her shoulders, pulled the straps down and pushed the dress down so it fell to her ankles.
He kissed his way down her neck, and followed a path to her shoulders. "Nessa," he breathed when he straightened, pressing a quick kiss to her forehead before giving her a sweet one on the mouth.
Nessa stood in his arms in nothing but her bra and underwear and felt the beginnings of a memory prickling through her system. A memory she'd suppressed along with so many others. Tremors started first before the flashbacks. Tears welled.
She grabbed Shade's hands as they crept up her stomach. "Stop. Please stop."
Shade froze and shook away the clouds covering his mind. "What's wrong?" He waited for an answer, but all he got was a shake of her head. "Nessa." He cradled her face in his hands. "What's wrong? Talk to me." He placed his forehead on hers. God, he wanted her so bad. He was so afraid someone was going to steal her away. So afraid that Rhone was going to steal her away. "Please, Nessa."
Nessa let out a breath, squeezing her eyes shut. She had to tell someone. Just once. Just this once she could let someone in.
Steeling herself, she took a breath. "My last boyfriend's name was Jay," she started, her words tumbling out. "He was my best friend. My first everything, too. " She laughed at herself, a sound filled with bitterness. "We were so stupid. We'd known each other forever and were totally ignorant of each others feelings. He went out with tons of girls because he thought I didn't like him like that and I didn't date at all for the same reason." Nessa crossed her arms over her stomach and swallowed, trying not to cry as she remembered. Her voice came out in a whisper. "We were so happy when we realized we felt the same way."
Shade dropped his arms, letting them fall to his sides. So she wasn't swaying because of Rhone. Instead she was hung up on her ex-boyfriend. On some level, he felt good about that, but how could he fight a memory? On the other hand, her story wasn't finished. Something told him he wasn't going to like how it ended.
"It was about a month into our relationship when his ex-girlfriend showed up," she continued, looking down. "She was obsessed with Jay. Following him around, showing up on our dates, making scenes. That kind of thing.
"After about a week, Jay told her he'd finally had enough. That's when she told him she was pregnant." Nessa laughed again and covered her eyes with a hand. "Jay and I tried to make it work, but we were barely seventeen. I was scared and word got around quickly about it. My Aunt found out, but by that time I'd already broken things off. Permanently and badly. And my Aunt cared more about what people thought of her than anything, so we moved. That was the last I saw of him. So many things are left undone. I don't want to make a mistake again."
Shade was dumbfounded. What kind of coward had that guy been? He should have let her know how he felt in the beginning.
But maybe then Shade wouldn't have met Nessa.
Shade reached out and laid a hand on her arm and waited until she looked at him before he spoke. "I'm not Jay, Nessa."
Nessa felt like chains had been broken away at his words. Of course, she had known that already, but hearing it. . Hearing it took a weight off her shoulders she hadn't even realized was there.
"I'm not like him," Shade continued. "I'm not going to have some girl from my past come in and wreck everything." A blush colored his cheeks. "That's because you're my first girl. You're the only girl. Okay?"
Nessa sniffed and, not trusting herself to speak, she nodded.
Shade leaned down and kissed her sweetly, then went to the door. He looked back at her. "Take a shower and clear your head. I'm gonna go see what mess Sade has gotten into."
He smiled and Nessa had to smile back. He shut the door and went in search of his twin, his mind turning over in jealousy and tons of other emotions at Nessa's past. A sense of foreboding filled him, but he shoved it aside. The only real problem standing in his way was Rhone.

Image

Sade was extremely happy. He was swinging his legs off the edge of Joshua's bed, happily encased in one of his shirts and a pair of grey, draw-string pants. The shirt kind of hung on his slender frame, but he was okay with that.
He pulled the collar of the shirt up and inhaled deeply. Joshua's scent filled his nostrils. It was a crisp, clean smell with just a hint of detergent. That and the smell of the shampoo - Joshua's shampoo - that he'd borrowed floated around him. He flopped back on the bed happily.
Did he mention he was happy?
Joshua was in the shower attached to his room and Sade could hear the water running through the cracked door. He glanced over and wished it was open just a little more. He could see the mirror then. Not that he'd be able to see anything with the amount of steam pouring out. Obviously, Joshua liked his showers hot.
The water shut off and Sade bolted upright, then felt like an idiot. He wasn't coming out right now, for crying out loud. And, besides, he was allowed to be in here. Joshua had said so.
Sade frowned at the bathroom door. What was he going to do? How could he get Joshua to see him as an adult? It ticked him off that he treated him like a child, but at the same time he felt comforted by it. Kind of like when Shade let him sleep in his bed. But this wasn't a matter of sleeping with someone - sort of. Sade wanted more than that. He wanted Joshua to look at him as a man. As a partner. He wanted Joshua to. . well, want him.
But the damn sweetheart was as about as observant as a blind person.
Fat lot of good that did them.
Joshua could see Sade in the reflection of the mirror. Even through the fog, it was easy to tell Sade's mood just by the way he was sitting. Right now, his shoulders were hunched, his head down as he grabbed the edge of the bed and swung his feet slightly. He was frustrated. It was probably some boy on his mind.
The thought made Joshua smile. He was probably freaking out about being over at some guy's place and wondering how to explain it. Not that he needed to do any explaining. Although smelling like some other guy's cologne wasn't a good thing in Sade's case. . .
Joshua shook his head, and squeezed toothpaste onto his toothbrush, shoving it into his mouth, agitated for no reason. What did it matter if Sade got in trouble with his boyfriend? Assuming he had a boyfriend. Not that it mattered. But the poor kid was setting himself up for a whole mess of heartbreak if he kept this up. Joshua finished brushing his teeth and put his "night clips" in to hold his hair back. All he knew was that the guy who had Sade better treat him right. Joshua would kill them if they made him cry even once.
Finishing up in the bathroom, he shut the light off and walked into the room. As he took in Sade, he had to smile again. The teen was pouting. Again. It was easily becoming Joshua's favorite expression on him and he wondered if Sade went home and practiced it. It was way too adorable to be natural.
Throwing his clothes in the hamper by the door, Joshua flopped on his bed next to the teen, lying back with his arms folded behind his head. "What's troubling you?" he asked.
Sade's mouth was near to watering. Joshua wasn't wearing a shirt and all his lean muscle and tan skin was there for him to feast on. And, boy, was it a feast. With a modest four-pack, his stomach was flat, his pajama bottoms riding low on his hips and hiding that secret place the trail of light-colored hair disappeared to from his belly-button. His chest was smooth, too, and firm, his collarbone defined but not protruding.
And he. Wasn't. Wearing. A. Shirt.
"Sade?" Joshua asked, his smile widening.
Sade tore his eyes away from Joshua's flat, brown nipples and forced them to focus on his face. "Uh. . Nothing. I'm good."
Joshua raised a brow. "Really? If you say so, then."
Slowly, Sade scooted back and laid down next to him, folding his hands on his stomach, trying to calm the racket his heart was making.
"Won't your boyfriend get jealous?" Joshua asked suddenly. He crooked a smile at him. "You are wearing my clothes, after all."
Sade swallowed. "No problem. I don't have a boyfriend."
A rare frown crossed Joshua's face before he turned it back to the ceiling. "Really? That's surprising."
Sade's brows rose. "Surprising? Why?"
Joshua shrugged, yawned. "Because you're so likable."
Sade laughed bitterly, sitting up. "Likable? Me? You're obviously the only one who thinks so. Things aren't so simple for people like me."
Joshua had raised up onto his elbows. His eyes searched over the teen's back, frustration filling him that he easily squashed down. "There you go again," he said. " 'People like you'. What's one thing got to do with the other? You like who you like. There's no in between, no explanations. It just is. What's not simple about that?"
Sade stood up, angry. He didn't really know why. It's not like Joshua hadn't said anything he didn't already know. It's just that nobody else saw it that way. He was always the freak. The weird one. The one that needed to explain why he was the way he was, like it would change something if he did. Like it would make things better. Easier.
Well, it didn't. And that hurt. And being hurt made him angry and frustrated.
"It's not that easy!" he repeated. He rounded on Joshua, slicing a hand between them. "People don't think like you and me in this world! I can't be accepted because I'm the outsider. The freak. I'm the kid that gets picked on because he'd rather put on eyeliner than shoulder-pads. The one whose parents have to apologize when their son gets into a fight which other boys started because I was looking at them like a girl would." He took a breath, the air trembling as it passed his lips. "You don't know what that's like. It's not easy being the way I am, but I can't be anything else!"
"Hey, back up," Joshua said, holding his hands up in surrender. "No one's asking you to change. I like you the way you are. So does Nessa. I bet their are others, too."
Sade sniffed, wiped his nose on his sleeve. "How would you know?"
Joshua gave him a soft smile and stood, patting his head. "Because you're the one and only Sade. There's no one else like you. That makes you special. I don't know about you, but I'm the type of guy that keeps special things close."
Sade let out a bark of laughter, the wind going out of his sails. He covered his face with his hands. "You're such a jerk."
"Huh?!" Joshua exclaimed, baffled.
Sade kept his face covered. Joshua always knew what to say and when to say it. He knew how to touch people without giving them the wrong idea. He knew how to smile at them. He was always so damn kind. In Sade's eyes, that made him a jerk. How was he supposed to just stay friends when he was treated like this?
Sade pulled his hands down, a wicked smile on his face. "You just are." He walked over and grabbed his clothes from a nearby chair.
"How? What did I do?"
Sade walked to the door, throwing a saucy smile over his shoulder. "Not telling. Now, are you gonna show me where I'm sleeping, or do I get to stay here?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. Long chapter. It was going to be longer, but it's already 15 pages in my notebook, so I was like, "Uh. . No." lolol. I love the twins in this chapter - especially Sade. Joshua gets a little glimpse into his inner-workings. And you guys get to see Shade get jealous and actually MAKE a move. lol. Took him long enough to get enough built up, I guess. lol
Anyways. I wanna know everyone's fave character, so you better COMMENT. The more comments I get, the more I write and the faster the updates. So, in short, if you want me to update, then COMMENT and tell me what you're thinking!!! You better comment or I'm not writing anymore. =p Please and thank you. ^^