Status: Woot! Completed and happy. ^^

Arranged

Second Heartbreak

Shade was shell-shocked. Was he really seeing this right? God, please tell him he was hallucinating, having a nightmare, something so that this wouldn't be real. Because, if it was, then there was Rhone, straddling Nessa in a Ferris wheel cab, his tongue down her throat. The worst part, though, was that Nessa didn't seem to mind. In fact, she seemed to like it. A lot.
Anger trickled slowly into his system, then shot like fire through his veins. Anger and jealousy that was sharp enough to cut through his sanity. He cleared his throat, gritting his teeth when Nessa, his girlfriend, turned glazed eyes on him. Satisfyingly, he watched those eyes turn sharp and focused and surprised in an instant.
"Welcome back," he said stiffly, then he turned on his heel and began walking away.
She would follow. He knew she would. She always followed, but he needed to get away right now. Even if only for a few seconds. And, besides, the sane part of him - the part that didn't want to rip off Rhone's head and feed it to that goat over there - was telling him that this was not the place. Oh, but man, when they got to that place, Shade knew he wasn't going to be able to hold back. Not for long, anyway.
"Shade, wait!" Nessa called, running to catch up to him. Good God, what had she done? She'd screwed up, that's what she'd done. And Shade was that one suffering the most. So all she could do was follow until he was ready to face her, knowing that Rhone and Sade and Joshua were close on her heels. Wherever this would play out, she knew the ground would be stained with someone's blood. Someone's blood and her tears.
Shade made it to a secluded, tiny open area right off the side of the carnival and into the woods before he finally decided it was far enough. He spun on Nessa, ready to hit something, stopping Nessa in her tracks.
He waited, but silence filled the area and when Rhone, Sade and Joshua skidded to a halt behind them, Shade could take it anymore. "Well?" he yelled, gaining some satisfaction when Nessa flinched. "Don't you have anything to say?"
He watched her mouth open then shut again, a look of loss and sadness on her face. Well, good, he thought, at least they were on the same page.
"Shade. I-" She stopped, obviously searching for the right words. "I'm sorry," she said lamely. "I didn't mean to do that. I wasn't thinking."
No, Shade thought. She hadn't been thinking. It was obvious that the only thing that had been on her mind had been Rhone Blossom. That fact left a hole in his heart the size of Sade's closet. And that was a giant hole.
He sighed, suddenly tired of everything. "Why? I just want to know why? Why him? Why didn't you push him away?"
What could she say? Nessa really had no idea why she hadn't pushed him away. She just knew that she couldn't tell Shade that she had felt something between her and Rhone. It would kill him. That and she didn't think she wanted to look too closely at it. to yet. She really didn't want to let Shade go, either. Though there was nothing like the pull she felt towards Rhone, there was still something. Something unbreakable and strong.
Rhone watched Nessa's expression flicker back and forth between pain and confusion and felt anger and hurt slice through him. He was angry at himself for putting her in this situation and ready to kick Shade's ass for even making a move in the first place. The dick was always showing up at the wrong time and now he was hurting Nessa.
Gritting his teeth at first, Rhone steeled himself for what he was about to do. It was going to fucking hurt like hell.
He shoved his hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heels, schooling his features to look bored and slightly annoyed. "What are you talking about, Shade?" he asked. All heads swung to him. "You're acting like it was her fault."
"Wasn't it?" Shade fumed.
Nessa gave him a confused look. "Rhone?"
He ignored her. "Of course not." He cocked a grin, his heart breaking. "I was just messing around. You know, seeing what I could get away with? Had to admit, she's a little too easy. I mean, you show her a good time, give her a few smiles and she turns to putty in your hands." He snorted. "It's kind of sad, really. You must be neglecting her."
Nessa's mouth dropped open. What the hell? What was Rhone talking about? Had he lost his mind? Everyone knew she wasn't that easy and the fact that he was accusing her pissed her off. And there was no way in hell he hadn't felt what she'd felt when they'd kissed. Was it only one-sided? Or did it mean so little to him?
"Seriously, babe." Rhone said with a condescending tone. Fuck, he really hated himself right now. He was destroying that tiny little bridge he'd made with her, but, damn it all to hell and back, he couldn't stand to see her in so much pain. It was better tat he took the blame. "You really need to be more aware of the situation. It's like you can't see when someone's playing with you."
"You son of a-" Shade's fist swung out and Rhone wanted to doge, but then though better of it. It would make him feel better if someone hit him.
Shade's fist slammed into Rhone's cheek, spinning him to the ground. Rhone spat out a tooth cap and blood, knowing he was going to have a bruise. Fuck, Shade hit hard. His ears were ringing and he was seeing stars.
"Shade!" Sade reprimanded, holding back his twin. "Calm down!" Shit, Shade was beyond pissed. This was not going to end will for anyone ,but there had to be an explanation for it all. "Nessa, please! Talk him down, would you?"
"Why should I?" Nessa gritted, watching Rhone sit up, rubbing his jaw. "I want to punch him myself."
Shade stopped struggling and cursing, his attention snapping back to Nessa. He held tight to his anger. "Promise me," he ordered her. "Promise me it won't happen again. That you won't choose him over me."
Nessa's insides froze for a minute and she swallowed. She shouldn't. She knew she shouldn't. If something like this happened again, she knew she was likely to choose Rhone -s he just didn't know why. But, the thing was, after what Rhone had just told them, this situation was never going to happen again.
"Done," she promised. "It won't happen again. Ever. I'd like to go home now so I can brush the filth off my teeth."
Shade shook off Sade. "I'm alright," he muttered. He turned back to Nessa, the anger somewhat gone, but the jealousy still burning through him. He offered her a hand. "Fine. Let's go."
Shade had no idea what the future would bring for them and, right then, he wasn't even sure if there was a future for them. But he would deal. He would have to deal if he wanted to keep Nessa. He would just have to get over it all somehow.
And find some way to get her and Rhone divorced.

Image

"How long do you plan on sitting there and wallowing in your misery?" Joshua asked as he stood over Rhone. This kid was a real trip, lying the way he had. He definitely put on a good show, though.
"Shut up," Rhone growled. He looked from Sade to Joshua. It was obvious enough what had changed there. "You have no right to criticize when you're so happy." He squinted up at Joshua. "I thought you were straight."
Joshua grinned. "Nope. I'm bisexual. Common mistake."
Rhone waved a hand, glad that Nessa and Shade were gone. "What happened to the whole 'I want to settle down with a nice girl and start a family' spiel you gave me a couple months back?"
Both Joshua and Rhone noticed how Sade stiffened. Rhone had to give him credit for staying quiet, though. No doubt he was itching to say something.
Joshua shrugged. "Things change." He offered him a hand. "Come on, Young Master. It's cold tonight and we should get you home and get that jaw look at. I though I saw a tooth go flying."
Rhone accepted the help up and dusted himself off. Man, he felt like shit inside and out. Was he ever going to stop screwing things up?
"You did," Rhone told him. "But it was just a cap. Part of the costume. Good thing, too. That one cut my lip earlier." It had also cut Nessa's, too, while he'd kissed her, though he'd doubted she'd noticed. He sighed. "Let's go home. I'm tired."
Joshua patted Rhone on the shoulder, feeling bad for him. He reached out and took Sade's hand. "yeah. I'll drive."
After Joshua had given Shade his keys, Rhone, he and Sade piled into Rhone's car. Having no inclination to conversation, Rhone sat in the back, his head in his hand and his eyes out the window.
His heart hurt, but, somehow, he felt empty. It was hard to believe he could still hurt after everything, but, once again, he was proved wrong.
He scrubbed his hands over his face. Fuck, she must hate him now. Again. How in hell was he going to fix this? Telling her outright that he;d lied wouldn't do any good. She would never believe him again. Not without proof, anyway.
His head popped up, an idea forming in his mind. Well, an idea coming back, anyway.
He laughed a little at him stupidity. It was so simple. The answer was right there. All he had to do was go through with the plan he'd thought of yesterday. She would definitely believe him then. There was no way she couldn't understand. She would have no choice.
He sat back with a confident smile, crossing his arms. This year, he was determined to make the Christmas Concert a show no one would ever forget. Especially Nessa.

Image

It was awkward in the car, but Nessa hadn't really expected anything different. She had just severely hurt Shade. He might not have been so mad if it had been some random stranger, or even Jay (a little fact that she had yet to tell him), but it had been Rhone. Her husband. Someone he hated.
She sucked in a breath, steeling herself for the explosion she was sure was going to come, and tried, "Shade-"
he cut her off by jerking the wheel to the left, pulling them into a small, secluded park she had no idea was hidden there. The tires churned up the gravel and Nessa winced as Shade almost ran Joshua's car into the swing set before he screeched to a halt.
"Jesus!" Nessa cursed, pulling her hands from where she'd braced them on the dashboard and door. "Are you trying to kill us?" Her head whipped around to glare at him but she froze instead.
Shade's hands were gripping the wheel, his knuckles white. He'd hidden his eyes behind his hair, but Nessa could see that his jaw was clenched in an effort to control his anger. Whatever Shade had been keeping inside up till now and obviously reached its boiling point. And that was damn scary.
"Nessa," he started. His voice came out quiet and strained. He gripped the steering wheel tighter. "I know you apologized, but I don't think I can forgive you this time. I really don't."
"Shade, I-" She searched for the words. "I can't say anything but I'm sorry."
He let out a bitter laugh. "Yeah. I got that." He shook his head. "Why him, Nessa? Huh?! Why Rhone?"
Nessa shrank back against the door. "I- I don't know. It just happened."
"'It just happened'," he scoffed. "Well I just happened to be angry. I just happened to catch you. I just happened to be tired of giving you chances."
Nessa felt a mixture of emotions slice through her. Relief was one, which shocked her, but she couldn't deny that Shade was sort of adding more drama to an already complicated situation. Surprise was another. Surprise at how angry Shade was. Well, maybe not how angry he was, but more that he was actually showing it. He never showed it. The last emotion on the list was hurt. Hurt because, after Jay, Shade was her first boyfriend. He was the first try after everything that happened and the thought that she had been the one to screw things up hurt. Hurting him hurt her. Losing him hurt her.
But what could she say> That she wanted to keep him around but not so much as her boyfriend? yeah, that would go over well. So she kept quiet.
"I mean," Shade continued angrily. "What am I supposed to do? Let this go? Again?" He pressed his fingers into his eyes and sighed. "I can't keep doing this with you? It hurts, Nessa." Finally, he looked at her, his eyes full of hurt and betrayal. "Tell me what I'm supposed to do to make it so it doesn't hurt. Please, 'cause I'm running out of ideas."
Nessa swallowed, unable to think of what to say. Normally, she would ask him to trust her, but how could she after all that happened? He'd caught her not once, but twice kissing Rhone, and there was still the Jay incident that he didn't know about. That was no way to keep his trust.
She looked away. "Shade, I'm sorry. I don't really know what to tell you. I can't tell you not to hurt, because that would be wrong. I can't tell you to trust me because - whether or not I like it - Rhone is my husband and I live with him. You'll always be wondering if I'm doing something while you're not around." She reached out and took his hand. It hurt that he didn't grip it back. "But I can tell you that nothing will happen. Not again. Not after tonight." She looked him straight in the eye. "It was a fluke. One of those caught-in-the-moment things. That's all. I'm sorry it happened. He told me we were just going to have some fun tonight to get my mind of things." A twinge of betrayal slashed through her and she hated herself for believing Rhone. "Obviously, it just made things worse."
Shade let out a breath, his anger easing fractionally when he saw that he wasn't the only one betrayed. He didn't exactly like the feeling of feeling good about Nessa hurting, but it made him feel like less of an idiot.
He turned his hand over and gripped hers. One more chance. He'd give her one more chance. "Sade and my birthday falls on Christmas. I want you to be with me. To celebrate." He narrowed his eyes on her. "Promise me that you'll come no matter what."
Nessa took in the ultimatum like a shot. Christmas. . . She'd promised Rhone already to go to his concert, but she could no longer tell if he was being sincere anymore. And it was obvious from the look Shade was giving her that this was it; The last chance. She just hoped she didn't blow it.
"I will," she promised. "I'll be there.
Shade pulled his hand away and shifted the idling car into gear. "Six o'clock, Nessa. Don't be late."
Nessa sat back in her seat, somewhat relieved and more miserable than ever. When had things gotten so complicated? "Don't worry," she told him as he drove out of the park. "I won't be."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I had company for like a week and a bunch of crap happened on top of that, so I had no time to write really. . .
Anyway!! You know that thing that Sade tried to tell Nessa way back when they first met but they were interrupted?? Yeah, it was his and Shade's birth date. ^^
Oh, I changed the snow in the background to falling stars in celebration of the new year. ^^ Kind of like fireworks, not to mention that it's really super pretty. You like??
Hmm. . . I don't know when I'll update next. I'm having writer's block on EVERY SINGLE STORY. >.< totally not cool. But what can you do?? I'm thinking about starting another story though. An adventure/fantasy/romance one, what do you guys think??
Well, I hope to update soon, because a LOT of drama's coming up. ^^ Thanks for reading. COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!