Status: In progress

Her Tomorrow

Remember Me? I'm Fear.

The whole week went by so slowly. New rumors were flying from mouths to ears throughout the hallways. One rumor claimed that Michael and I were dating. Another was that David’s mini-me, Jake, was caught stealing David’s underwear in the locker room later that day.

More people seemed to pay attention to the first one though.
In the hallway, people avoided me like I was the plague. Michael continued giving me rides but we didn’t stop at Dunkin Donuts or anything, just went to school. Once we were inside, we went our separate ways, both our cheeks burning. Mine were always brighter than his no matter what I tried to do to hide it.

Chris started getting protective, really protective. I guess he was afraid that Michael was like Max. I just wanted to get away from everyone.

Friday flew by for some reason. Normally when you want time to fly, it drags on abnormally slow. I was looking forward to tomorrow. I‘d be safe from staring eyes at home. The bell rang and we were free for the weekend.

The hallways were crowded and lockers were swarmed. I took my iPod out of my pocket and put it on. No one tried talking to me and I didn’t feel like listening to gossip or pricks making plans or bitches talking about having dates.

I walk by David and his goons and all gave me that look that says ‘you’ll pay for the humiliation you caused me/us’. One of them bumps their shoulder into mine but then as he walks away runs into a janitor rolling a trash bin and falls on his ass.

As I turn back around I see Michael headed in my direction. Crap. I turn a corner and hope to disappear into the crowd. No good. He saw me. I run out the doors and jump into the bus. Michael sees me but just lets me go. He stands watch until the bus leaves and then walks back inside.

The ride home was lonely but I was glad. It seemed like so long since I was alone. Everyday was just Michael everywhere I went. Getting home was the best part because it was just me, me and my music. No Michael, no Chris, no Max, no fucking teachers, just me.

As soon as I was dropped off I ran inside, up the stairs, and into my room. I locked my door and turned on my stereo. About two hours later the phone rang. It was Chris.

“Hey Jessie! Where were you after school? I was looking all over for you. My mom said she could give you a ride.”

“Sorry. I took the bus so as to avoid Michael. He’s been giving me rides to and from school all week. I kinda wanted some alone time.”

“Oh ok. Uhh…just be careful ok? You don’t know this guy. And to be honest I don’t like him.”

“I will. Thanks. Hey. I got stuff to do. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Aight. See you later Jessie.”

Once I got hung up the phone, I laid back down. I had my arms behind my head and my legs crossed. Thoughts raced through my head. Faces appeared in memories. Voices from my past echoed in my head.

I stood up and looked around my room. I read the writings, the poems, the sayings, the words I wrote. I saw the lyrics from songs I heard and from songs I wrote. It seemed so long ago. Most of them dealt with love. I had to add something new. I grabbed my sharpie from the desk drawer and then searched for a spot on the wall that had no writing or room for writing. I found it. I wrote a poem dealing with everything that had happened in the past week or so. I didn’t think, I just wrote.

It must have taken a long time because after a bit I noticed that I had to turn the light on. It was dark outside by the time I finished. I could see part of the moon behind the house across the street.

A few seconds after I looked out the window, my stomach growled so I went down to the kitchen. I rummaged through the cabinets and found some microwave Mac ‘n Cheese. I was adding the water when something moved outside near the kitchen window. The phone rang.

“Hey Jessie. Miss me?” My heart stopped and my hand started trembling.

He hung up. I stood there in shock for a second, dropped the phone, then regained myself. I ran to the front door and locked it. I shut all the shades and locked all the windows. The phone rang again.

“Go away! Don’t call again! Please just leave me alone!” I was on the verge of tears and scared because I was the only one home. I tried to pass it off of anger but I knew he’d be able to smell my fear. Anything was worth a shot at this point though.

“Jessie! It’s Michael! Are you ok?”

“No! Yes!” I didn’t know how to answer. “He just called! Max called! I don‘t know where from. I don‘t know what he wants. He just called and I…” I could feel my anxiety creeping up on me and even though I was determined not to let it get the best of me, I could feel myself losing that battle.

He didn‘t let me finish. “Wait right there! Lock yourself in and wait for me. I’m on my way.” He hung up.

I ran up to my room. I made sure everything was locked, my door, the windows, everything. I remembered the nights Max had snuck over. He climbed up the drain pipe to my window. I jumped off my bed and moved my bookshelf in front of the window.

There was banging on the door downstairs. The phone ran again. Michael can’t be here already! We just got off the phone!

“Jessie.” I felt whatever blood that was left in my face drain. “Come back to me. You know you love me. Come back. I won’t hurt you.” I could tell from his tone of voice that he was smiling, and it send shivers down my spine. It was almost as if he were right next to me.

"You’re a fucking liar! Just go away! Please!” I continued to fight tears because I knew that’s what he wanted.

“No can do cupcake. We said we’d be together forever.” He hung up. I threw the phone away from me.

I heard banging on the front door. I tried not to scream as I heard it break open.

“Together forever Jessie-bear. Together forever! Those were your words!” He was in the kitchen and he was angry. I heard him walk up the stairs. His footsteps stopped right outside my door. He tried to open it. I could feel my lungs freezing up. I had goosebumps on my arms and my heart felt like it was about to just stop altogether.

“Go away Max! I don’t love you anymore!” A traitor tear slid down my cheek as

“Yes you do. You said you’d love me forever.” He continued to try and break down the door. I think he was using his shoulder. Another hit. Nope, that was his foot. Shit.

“Together forever!” Another hit, undoubtedly with his foot.

The door flew open and I tried to scream but it got caught in my throat. He stood there for a minute then started walking toward me. Where is Michael? I could feel my heart ready to either jump out of my chest or just stop altogether.

“Together forever Jessie. Those were your words.”

“Go away! Please!” More traitor tears escaped as if they were trying to get away from him too. Lucky them, they can escape. Not me.

“I just wanna talk baby. I just want to talk.” He didn’t stop advancing, not for a second.

“I’m not your baby!” Now I was angry too. I threw my shoe at him. What sucked for me is it was a flip flop. I had taken my sneakers off and put on flip flops when I got home. Damn it. My hands were shaking again.
He was almost a foot away from me when he finally stopped.

“But Jessie. Forever never ends.” He smiled. The goosebumps spread even further and I couldn’t feel myself breath. And I was pretty sure my heart stopped.

I heard a car pull up and its door open and close. Michael. My first reaction was relief, but then panic as he turned back to me.

“Who did you call?!? Who’s here!?! Jessie!” If I thought he was angry earlier, then he was livid now.

Someone was running up the stairs. Max pulled out a knife and stood so he could head towards me or whoever was coming up the stairs. I looked for something nearby to hit him but much to my dismay I saw nothing.

“Jessie! I saw the door wide open down-” He stopped. He looked at Max. “What are you doing here?” He balled his hands into fists as he saw the knife and his face became as hard and cold as stone.

“Well, well, well, Look who’s here. Little Mikey. You Look at you! You’ve gotten big haven’t you.” He laughed and took a step towards me. It was obvious that he didn’t view Michael as a threat.

“Stop Max.” He stepped into the room.

“Why? What is she to you? Can’t really be all that much since she‘s everything to me and I‘m the same for her. We‘re all we need.” He sat next to me and put his arm around me, knife in his opposite hand. I tried to pull my knees to my chest to get a bit of leverage but he squeezed my arm in warning, hard. I froze.

“Get away from her Max. I swear to God if you hurt her, I will kill you.” He stepped toward us. His words sounded dangerous but at the same time, way too calm. Calm before the storm?
Max took his knife and put it too my chest.

“Stepping closer will kill her. Then you will be just as guilty as me.” He laughed again and placed the tip right near my heart. This was one of his games. I knew it, but did Michael?

“Michael. Get out. Please.” My voice was weak from fighting the tears and the urge to scream and lose control. My hands were still trembling and you could hear it in my voice. I didn’t want him to leave but I’d rather he did so he wouldn’t get hurt. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if Max hurt him.

“Jessie. I’m not leaving you. He’s bluffing.” He mouthed to me while Max’s attention was on my face.

“Pay attention Mikey. You might actually learn something about women here.” He pressures the tip of the knife into my chest right below my neck. “Now this is what we call the..”

“Stop! What do I have to do to make you leave her alone! What do you want?” His stone face had cracked. To Max that meant victory.

“Want? Oh. Nothing from you. The only one I want, the only thing I need is Jessie.” He reached for my shirt and started to cut at the shoulder with his knife. “You can watch Mikey, just don‘t touch.” He started to rip the shirt more and I struggled to try and get my hands to move his hands away.

“Max! Stop! Leave me alone! Please!” I was still shaking and could feel that my limbs have gone numb.

“But Jessie.” He ripped it more. “I love you.” He put the knife on my neck to prevent me from moving.

“Max! I mean it! Leave her alone!” He took a step.

“Opps. Mike. I told you to stay back.” He brought the knife to my arm and made a cut about an inch long, and deeper than any normal cut. I bit my lip rather than giving him the satisfaction of hearing my scream. Blood started dripping down my arm and then began to lightly flow.

“Michael. Get out of here. Please. This has nothing to do with you. Please. I don’t want you here.” Tears were rolling down my face and the shaking was worse.

“Jessie. I’m not leaving you. I can’t. Not like this. Max. Let’s talk about this. You and me. Now.” I had to admire him for his courage and chivalry but I couldn’t now. I promised myself to do it later though. He could see the same fear Max did, but unlike Max, it angered him.

“But where’s the fun in that?” He leaned over and licked my neck to my cheek. I shivered and pushed away. He pulled me back and went towards my neck. I tensed up and wished more than ever that Michael would leave, but he didn’t.

“Max. Talk with me before I call the police and they have to get involved.” Michael’s face was hard again, but there were traces of fear in it as well. If I could see it than Max could too.

“Fine. Let’s talk. But on my terms.” Max looked annoyed. He got off my bed but not before he takes a rope out of his pocket and binds my hands to my feet. I start to struggle but Michael gives me a look that tells me not too. I froze and let him tie them. I felt so humiliated but I also felt weak, and helpless. I felt like I should do something, but what?

Max got up and followed Michael into the hall. Michael closed the door behind them. I heard them talk for about a second when I hear a punch to maybe the face and the thud of someone falling. My door opened again.

“Jessie. We have to get you out of here. Now.” He ran to my bed and used Max’s knife to cut the rope. “I have already called the police. They’re on their way. It’ll be over soon.”

We started walking when he looked at my shirt. “Umm, you might want to grab a sweatshirt or something. You can stay at my house tonight. You’ll be safe there. I promise you.” I tried to hide the blush from embarrassment and frustration on my cheeks but gave up. I didn’t care.

I sighed but grabbed one and slid it on. “Fine. Let’s get out of here before he wakes up.”

Michael grabbed my hand and we ran out the door.

We got in his car and drove away. My hands were in my lap balled up tight. Michael must’ve noticed because he took one hand off the wheel and took one of mine in his. My hand relaxed and within seconds my cold fingers were laced with his warm ones.