Status: In progress

Her Tomorrow

Not So Alone Anymore

I liked his family. Wasn‘t hard considering it was just his mom. When we arrived at his house, she rushed out to get us inside. Once inside, she wrapped up my arm and put some disinfectant on it. It stung slightly but I’ve had worse so I knew how to hide it.

His mom, who insisted I call her “Lisa” brought me on of Michael’s t-shirts. I was to sleep in his room and he was to sleep on the couch. He wanted to sleep on the floor in his room just in case I needed anything but I said I was fine. They tried to argue but when I threatened not to take the room at all and sleep on the couch, they gave in immediately.

Michael was still sleeping when I woke up the next morning and went downstairs to see what was going on. I had decided to go back upstairs when my nose caught the scent of some marvelous cooking. Three guess who. I went into the kitchen and there she was. Lisa was making pancakes and sausages.

“Morning Jessie. Sleep well I hope?” I was very sure I hadn’t made any noise walking in yet, she heard me. I wonder if she used to tell Michael “I have eyes in the back of my head” every time he asked how she knew something.

“Yeah. Thanks. Smells delicious by the way.” Automatically I went to put my hands in my pockets when I realized I didn’t have any.

“I hope you’re hungry. I made extra. Michael will be up soon. It took him forever to get to sleep last night. Best get some now.” She turned to look at me and winked.

“Oh. Ok.” I sat down in the nearest chair. “Do you know if they got Max last night?” Her face lost all signs of the happiness that had been there and I felt blood start to run cold.

She looked at the frying pan, sighed, then looked back at me. “No. I guess he woke up and left before they got there. But you are welcome to stay here as long as you need to. I’ll make up the guest room for you ok?”

“Ok. I don’t think I’ll be here long though. I don’t want to be any trouble.” I looked down at my plate and started picking at the pancake. I wasn’t hungry anymore.

“Jessie. It’s no trouble. Now stop picking at the pancake before it gets up and starts picking at you.” He squeezed my shoulder and laughed as he walked by and sat down next to me. Electricity shot through me from where his hand had been.

I looked at Michael trying to find a pressure point in this argument that I could poke at and claim victory but found none. I didn’t like the idea of going home, but it was better than the idea of anything happening to them for being in the way.

“Seriously Jessie. It’s no trouble. He won’t come here. If you go home…” He stopped. He looked down at his empty plate for a few minutes and then back at me, this time with a smile.

“You know what? Let’s forget about him for now. Mom, it smells divine. Is it ready?”

“Sure is Mike. Help yourself Jessie.”

Michael was right. It was divine. I haven’t had a breakfast that good in so long. After we ate I offered to help with the dishes but it was refused. Instead I went upstairs and got dressed. I also brushed my teeth, my hair, and washed me face. When I came back down, Michael was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.

“Hey. Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Just worried is all. I mean, after last night, I never knew how badly he treated you. And I’m guessing he did that kind of thing a lot only worse. How did you get out of it without him killing you?”

“I didn’t exactly.” I sat next to him. “I ran. I moved to a different house while he went away to look for his father. He wanted to show his father that he was better than him. That he could control his woman more. I guess he didn’t find him.” Now it was me who was looking at the floor.

He put his arm around me. “He is not going to hurt you again while I’m around. Ok? How about we go out?”

I turned toward him. “What do you mean?”

“I mean go do something to get our mind off it, off him. I know he’s still a threat but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun.” He blushed as he realized how it came out.

“What do you suggest?” His blush made me blush too.

“How about we pick up Chris and go to a movie? Give him a call, tell him what happened, and invite him to go out.” He handed me his cell phone. “Call him. I’m going to go get dressed and ready.”

“Ok.” I dialed Chris’s number. He answered after the fifth ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey Chris. Listen. Max attacked last night but Michael saved me. I am at his house. His mom said I could stay here until they catch him. I’m alright. I wanted to know if you wanted to go to a movie with me and Mike.”

“Oh my God Jessie! Why didn’t you call me last night? Why did you call Michael?”

“Chris. He called me. I would have called you but I didn’t have the chance. He came too fast. One minute he called and in the next he was there. The time I had was used to lock everything and then he showed up ok? Look. I don’t want to tell you over the phone ok? Can you come so we can talk? Please?”

“I want to. But I can’t. Mom needs me to watch Charlie.” I could hear hurt and worry in his voice. Was he as nervous as I was? And if so, was he nervous about the same thing?

“Alright. I’m sorry ok? Please be careful? I don’t want him coming after you too.”

“You too. Have fun ok? I’ll see you later.” He hung up.

Michael came downstairs. “Is he coming?” His tone wasn’t exactly hopeful but it seemed more like he asked for Chris to come so that I’d be more comfortable.

“He can’t. He has to baby-sit his little brother.”

“Alright. Grab your sweatshirt and let’s go.” This tone was a bit lighter whether he intended it or not.

I grabbed my jacket and waited near the door for him. Then I followed him out to the car. We held hands again on the way there.

He paid for the movie. We had chosen a romantic tragedy. For our seats, we chose two in the back, the WAY back.

In the first half of the movie, Michael had snuck his arm around me and I had laid my head on his shoulder.

More towards the end of the movie I caught him looking at me. The funny thing is he didn’t stop, and I couldn’t seem to look away.

He reached over and touched my cheek. He rubbed his hand across it in a way that was so comforting that I closed my eyes briefly. When he stopped rubbing it, I opened my eyes. He looked at me for another minute then moved closer pulling my face toward him. And then it happened. He kissed me. His lips were soft and tasted of peppermint and popcorn.

It was one of those movie style first kisses, little longer than necessary, but not too long. The word “perfect” comes to mind. A little too perfect. It took me a brief moment to realize what had just happened. We just stared at each other in silence for a minute or two. No. This can’t happen. I just looked at him for a minute then stood up.

“I umm.. I just remembered. I have to go.” I walked out of the theater and started running.

I’m not really sure why I was running. The kiss was amazing. It sent tingly sensations throughout my whole body. It made me happy. Part of me wanted it, wanted him, wanted to be in his life, and him to be in mine. But something else told me no, this isn’t right, that I’ll just get hurt again.

He didn’t follow me. I took the bus home and walked from the bus stop to my house. I knew that if I went to Michael’s, his mom would ask questions and it would be awkward there, at least for a while. Also, by being there I was just putting them in danger.

The door was locked so I used the key from under the flower pot. It was so quiet inside the house. Mom was home and I know this because her car keys were on the hook near the door. Sam was home too. His sneakers were by the door.

The door to my room was still open and the room looked as if it had been ransacked. Whatever. Something to do.

I moved stuff out of the way and closed the door. The first thing I did was pick up all my clothes and put the dirty in the laundry basket and the clean in my bureau. I then put my desk back in order. I fixed my closet and made my bed. There were a few more assorted things on the floor so I put them away.

After everything was away I remembered on last thing I should check. I pulled off the floorboard in my closet and pulled out a box. Inside was all I had left of my dad so I wanted to make sure it was still there. I had never told Max about it but he always seemed to know my weaknesses and my secrets. I replaced the board and sat down on my bed with the box.

Inside were all the happy memories from my childhood. I was looking at the pictures of me and my dad on my bed from when I was younger when there was a knock on my door. I closed the box quickly and shoved it under my bed.

“Who is it?” I looked around for a weapon and yet again, saw nothing. I made a mental note to arm my room.

“Sam. Now unlock the door.”

“What do you want?”

“Unlock it and you’ll find out.”

I groaned but got off my bed and opened my door. It was Sam. And then behind him, Michael.

“Jessica. Can I talk to you? Now?” He face was a mixture of things I couldn’t figure out.

“Be one second Michael.” I brought Sam into my room and closed the door behind him.
“What?”

“First off, who is this kid?” He crossed his arms.

“He’s none of your business.” I crossed mine as well and anger started to build up again.

“Look, I know that you miss dad and think that mom doesn’t care anymore. But that doesn’t mean that you can do whatever you want. You can’t go stay at someone else’s house without telling anyone. Mom freaked when she found you weren’t home and the look of your room. What is going on?”

“Why the hell do you care? The last time I saw you, you hit me! Every time you’re drunk, or high, or just plain pissed you take it out on me! You‘re never around! Why all of a sudden do you care?”

He raised his hand as if to strike me, sighed, and lowered it back down. “Jessie. I know Dad isn’t around but...”

“You’re not either! Where were you when Max attacked that day at school? Or just the other day? Or better yet, when I first told you that he was hurting me?!? Where were you when I needed you!?”

He lowered his head. “I know ok? I just hoped the way I acted would want to keep you away from stuff like that but I guess it only pushed you closer. So please. I know better now. I want to help now. Please? I want things to go back the way they were before Dad died. If I promise to be a better older brother, will you tell me what the deal is?”

“Promise?” I felt tears behind my eyes but I refused to let them fall.

“I promise.” He hugged me. I got up and let Mike in on Sam’s suggestion that he know the story as well seeing as how he was now part of this nightmare.

Mike sat on the bed next to me and Sam sat in the computer chair. I started from the beginning and about halfway through I was fighting tears again and my hands were shaking. I had to stop for a minute shortly after to recompose myself. By the time I was finished with all that had happened between Max and me, it was dark out. Both Mike and Sam were looking at the ground. Sam’s expression was very close to what it had been when Dad died. Mike looked no different. Both took turns holding me and telling me they were sorry.

“Thanks guys but sorry won’t change the fact that it happened. I just want this to end..” They looked at me then at each other.

“Michael. Look. Jessie will be ok here. I am not leaving her alone in this house until Max is behind bars or dead. I’d go after him myself but if something happened to me then Jessie would have no family to watch out for her. Get where I am coming from?”

“Yes I do. I want Jessie to be safe too. Max is my stepbrother so I know what he is capable of. Or at least I thought I did. I have a better idea now. I can take her to and from school. If you need to go out or if she needs to go somewhere, I will be her driver.”

“Jessie, are you ok with this?” They had me. I wouldn’t be able to win against them like this.

“Do I have any other option?” I rolled my eyes and they laughed nervously then Mike got up.

“Alright, I have to get going. Mom will want to know what’s going on.” He got up, kissed my cheek, and left.

“Alright Jessie. What’s the deal between you and football boy?”

“Nothing.” I tried to hide the obvious smile I had on my face.

“Ok. Liar.” Sam half smiled and then walked out, closing the door behind him. I smiled and laid down on my bed, thoughts racing yet again. But these ones were happy. These ones were about Michael.