Status: In progress

Her Tomorrow

Family Reunion

Sam wasn’t home when I got there, and neither was Mom but Mike had driven off so I decided to stay anyways. The house seemed to be back in order and there were new locks on the doors and windows. I locked all of them. Sam must’ve known I’d come back today. I smiled. Maybe things were going to be alright.

My room was just as I had left it. Even the sweatshirt I had put on the bed hadn’t moved an inch. I knew I had to get some stuff done though. I had school tomorrow and it had been forever since I’d done laundry. I put 2 loads together and put the first in. When I came back upstairs, I Put my favorite CD in, shut the curtains and door, and danced until I heard the ding of the washer.

I switched out the laundry and jumped into the shower. It felt so good, so refreshing, like it was washing away my pain. I got out and heard someone coming up the stairs. My heart stopped. I hadn’t heard anyone come in. My hand trembled as I tried to quietly lock the door. Whoever it was heard it and knocked on the door.

“Jessie?” Sam. I sighed in relief.

“Yeah. Jesus you scared the shit out of me Sam! I didn’t hear you come in. I’ll be out in a minute.”

“Alright.” I then heard him to go his room and shut his door.

Once I was dressed again, I knocked on his door. He opened it, I sat on his bed, and told him everything that had happened since we last talked.

“I think it’d be best if you didn’t stay there anymore Jessie. I think you should stay here, at your home. I can protect you too you know.”

“I think you’re right Sam. I have a few ideas though, as back up.”

After talking to Chris and telling Mike not to expect me at school for a few days, I told Sam my plan. We spent the next few days between home and the hardware store. On the windows we put slates of wood beside them that we could close in a case of an emergency with the push of a button or pull of a string. On my window, we put a wooden door enforced with steel behind it. And double the locks. We also put locks at the top, in the middle, and at the bottom of my door. Easy to lock, and very difficult to break through. We put a slider to back the door also, making my room extremely difficult to break into. I spent one day painting them so they weren’t as noticeable. I only hoped they worked.

- - -

“Jessie! You’re back!” Chris near tackled me with a hug at school. “I missed you.”

“Well I’m here now so don’t haha. Where have you been?” He laughed.

“Where have I been? Where have YOU been? You have to tell me everything! And I mean everything Jess.”

I laughed but before I could start the bell rang.

“I’ll tell you at lunch. See ya Chris!” I told him and then we went our separate ways.

It was apparent that I wasn’t the favorite thing to stare at anymore, for which I was more than happy about. I didn’t see Mike before class, but I was ok with that. I knew he’d show up sooner rather than later. He always did.

The teachers gave me make-up work after each class, which I work on in study. Chris decided to skip class and join me. I told him everything that happened, but I left out the parts about Mike and me. I’ll tell him someday, but at the moment it wasn’t important. We talked until the bell rang at which we parted ways yet again.

Lunch was very similar to study. Chris and I sat and talked. We chose a place where we knew Mike wouldn’t find us. It had been so long since it was just me and Chris, and it was just what I needed. Chris had always been there and I wasn’t about to change that, though I had kept him at arms length if not farther recently.

The afternoon flew by. I couldn’t find Chris after school, or rather Mike found me before I could find him. He offered to drive me home, but I politely denied it and said that I was getting a ride with Chris. He kissed my cheek, said he’ll see me later, and left without fighting me on it. That’s right. Movies, again. Friday night. Date night. It’s not a date though…is it? I almost hope so..

I jumped onto the bus and rushed through my homework so I could gather my thoughts before he got here. I decided what I wanted him to be to me, who I wanted to be to him, and made a plan to tell him.

- - -

He picked me up around 8:30ish. I left a note for Sam and we were off. His car wasn’t in pieces anymore. His mom must’ve brought it to the shop. We got popcorn and soda at the snack bar then found seats in the back. Sitting in the back allows you to see everything, just how both of us like it.

At first we sat with a bit of distance between us but about 20 minutes into the movie, he shifted so he was closer, placing his hand on his knee. Shortly after noticing this, I did the same. When the movie reached the halfway point, he reached for my hand. I took it. It was warm, soft, his fingers fit perfectly between my own.

I took a leap of faith not long after our fingers were entwined, I leaned over, resting my head on his shoulder. He seemed a bit surprised but did not move away, did not flinch, nothing, but rest his head upon mine.

We stayed like this for the rest of the movie. We didn’t say anything or let go until we got back to the car, in which we only let go until we both had our seat belts and were ready to drive.

The drive was filled with silence, but not an awkward silence. It wasn’t that neither of us didn’t want to say anything or had nothing to say, but that we didn’t need to say anything. I had become so comfortable that I could’ve fallen asleep had I been tired, but we reached my house LONG before then.

We sat outside for a moment, just taking it in before we had to part ways. His finger rubbing against mine, and mine against his we sat there, both staring ahead. Should our eyes meet, I knew my cheeks would turn scarlet.

“Well, good night Mike. And thanks.”

“Good night Jess.”

I opened the door and went to step out but before I could get out, he pulled me back by the hand that still held his, placed his other hand on my cheek, and kissed me with such passion that my toes curled in my shoes. It wasn’t a long kiss, but it was probably the best kiss I have ever shared with someone. It was like another first kiss that could only be described as perfect. Why did all his kisses send these shivers down my spine?

He released my lips but not me as we gazed into each others eyes, a slight blush upon both our cheeks. Nothing was said still, but it wasn’t needed. We shared another kiss, not as long, but just as wonderful. It was then that I stepped out of the car before I gave into the temptation to kiss him again.

Back in my room, lights off, in my pajamas I just laid there on my bed, smiling. Tonight had been one of the best nights I had ever had, and now it was over.

Good night Mike. I think I love you…

- - -

The weekend dragged on, probably because I wanted Monday to come for once because it meant seeing him again. But Sunday brought a surprise, which in itself was another surprise.

“Hey Jess. Whatcha up to?” Sam stood in the doorway, leaning, his arms folded across his chest.

“Just finishing up some homework. Why? What’s up?” I put down my pencil and sat up on my bed.

“I kinda got something for you. I wanted to help make up for the past few years.” He reached down and pulled up a paper bag. “Here. Thought you could use one.”

He handed me the bag and I took it. He sat next to me on the bed. Whatever I pulled out was in a cardboard box, and it was a bit heavy.

“What is it?” I asked as I opened the box. Once it was open, I stopped and could only stare. I looked at Sam and then pulled it out. “How..?”

“I decided to stop using, and instead started saving, and thought it’d be nice.” He shrugged. He had just given me a brand new laptop, and from what I could tell, a very nice one.

“Thank you so much Sam!” I hugged him. At first he flinched back but then wrapped his arms around me as well.

“You’re welcome sis. And I’m really sorry.”

“Sam, it’s never too late or too early to start over, but you really didn’t have to do this.”

“I know, but I wanted to. I gotta get going though. I have a date.” He must’ve seen the half surprised, half “oh-la-la” look because he immediately followed with, “It’s nothing special yet. Just taking her to dinner, then maybe a walk. I won’t be gone too long, but just in case, lock your door as we planned please.”

“I will Sam. Don’t worry about me. Go for it kid. Have fun.”

He kissed my forehead. “Alright. Night bud.”

“See ya.”

Things were almost back to normal between me and him. It had nothing to do with the laptop. He stopped calling me “bud” when dad died, and just now he said it, whether he realized it or not.