Status: Currently being re-edited. Chapters 1-10 have been re-edited.

A Muggle at Hogwarts

Ch.18: I Love You Draco Malfoy

As I ran through the empty hallways, I couldn’t get the events which I witnessed out of my head. Everything—everything that I saw just a moment ago was because of me. If I never come to this world, then none of the events in Snape’s memory would have occurred. Without me, there would have never been a Scarlet Angel. Snape wouldn’t have had to kill one of the few people he loved. He wouldn’t have had to suffer the pain of killing Scarlet. He wouldn’t have had to live with the guilt that he does. Because of me, Snape had gone through much more pain than he deserved.

I was a constant reminder of what he had lost—a constant reminder of what he had done.
I suddenly let out a yelp of pain as I tripped over my own feet and fell onto the ground. I would have picked myself up, but I couldn’t find the energy to do so. I simply stayed on the floor and let the tears fall from my eyes.

“I’m terrible,” I sobbed. “I’m a terrible person.”

“Violet?” someone gasped. “Violet! Oh my—are you all right?”

I heard the sound of running footsteps echoing through the hall. Suddenly, the person was beside me and helped me sit up.

“Where in the world have you been? Harry and the others said you didn’t go to dinner. We’ve been looking for you all over the school!” Hermione explained. “What happened to you?”

I sobbed harder. “I’m a terrible person—I’m so horrible Hermione.”

“Violet.... Tell me what happened.”

Through my sobs, I did my best to tell her about everything that happened in Snape’s office. About that happened between Snape and Scarlet and how disgusted I was at myself.

Hermione looked at me sympathetically as she threw her arms around me and gave me a hug. “It’s okay. You’re not a bad person, Violet. It’s not your fault—“

“Yes it is!” I exclaimed as I parted from her. “It’s all my fault. Scarlet Angel never existed. She only existed because I’m here. It’s because of me that Snape has suffered so much more than he should have!”

“No!” Hermione argued. “Listen to me. It is NOT your fault. Yes, maybe she surfaced because of you, but you don’t know that she never existed. Did you think that maybe Rowling didn’t mention Scarlet because didn’t think that she was needed?” Hermione exhaled heavily. “Not every aspect of our lives need to be exploited to readers, Violet. Not even yours.”

I looked at Hermione puzzled, but before I could even ask, she went on to explain.

“There’s a reason why I never brought up Hogsmeade, Violet,” Hermione said with a small smile. “It’s not as though no one noticed you and Draco disappeared. Harry had thought Draco didn’t want to stay and dragged you off with him, but…I think he knew that wasn’t the case. We all see the way you look at him, Violet—Harry, Ron and me.”

“I’m sorry—”

“Why are you apologizing?” Hermione interrupted. She shook her head and gently placed her hand over mine. “It’s strange…you know? Never thought Draco Malfoy would end up with a Muggle,” Hermione grinned.

I let out a weak laugh as Hermione said those last words. “I like him a lot, Hermione. But—but I don’t want to put him through the same pain that Snape had to go through. Death Eaters are after me, and when Draco become a Death Eater, I’ll be his target because of what I know.”

“B—but things can change! Just because he becomes a Death Eater according to the books, doesn’t mean he will!” Hermione pointed out.

“As if he’ll have a choice…” I whispered. I was quiet for a moment before adding, “I don’t have to tell you that I won’t ever tell Voldemort what he wants to know… But…it’ll put Draco into that same situation as Snape, and I don’t want him to suffer the pain and guilt. I don’t want us to end up like Snape and Scarlet.”

“So what are you planning to do, Violet?” Hermione questioned. “Are you going to break his heart so if the time ever comes, so he can kill you with ease? Is that what you’re planning to do?”

I scoffed weakly. “It would save him the pain, wouldn’t it?”

“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard,” Hermione remarked. “Once you’ve loved someone, you will always love them. Shattering Draco’s heart won’t give you the results you’re hoping for, Violet. It’s just going to hurt you more.”

“What am I supposed to do then, Hermione?” I snapped. “Continue this—this relationship until he’s forced to come after me and possibly kill me?”

“No. Honestly, I think the best solution right now is for you to end it with Draco and simply return home before things get more complicated than they already are. Staying in this world is what’s dangerous for you. At least back home, you’ll be safe.”

I wanted to deny it. But of course what she said is true. I didn’t belong here in this world of witches and wizards. Of magic. I wasn’t meant to be in this world. “You’re right. Returning home would be the best thing, wouldn’t it?”
Hermione gave my hand a light squeeze. “We’ll go talk to Dumbledore tomorrow morning. I’ll go with you.”

“Okay,” I said with a forced smile.

Hermione and I soon headed back to the Gryffindor Tower and found that Harry and the others weren’t back yet. Although I offered to wait up with Hermione, she sent me off to bed because she could see how exhausted I was. It wasn’t until I threw myself into the comforts of my bed that I realized exactly how tired I was, and immediately fell asleep.

Later in the night, I woke up to a soft tapping on the window. I opened my eyes to find Hermione sleeping in her bed. Thinking that it was only a fragment of my imagination, I closed my eyes and tried to get back to sleep. Suddenly, the tapping returned. This time, I sat up in bed and looked at the window.

Outside, I could see the shadow of a figure.

“Who’s there?” I whispered while hesitantly getting out of bed. No one answered, but the light tapping continued.

With my want still handy from earlier, went for the window and carefully opened them. And as I opened the window, Draco’s face appeared before me.

“H—how are you doing that? This room is more than twenty feet above the ground!” I exclaimed while tucking away my wand.

“Broom,” Draco smirked. He then reached out his arm and said, “Come with me.”

“N—no, I can’t!” I objected.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t like heights,” I explained. “Harry can barely get me to levitate on a boom—yet alone fly.”

“Well, I’m not Harry Potter, now, am I?” A grin still remained on Draco’s face as he waited for me to take his hand. However, when he realized I wasn’t going to move from where I stood, he suggested coming inside.

“You can’t!” I scolded while taking a step closer to the window.

“And why not?”

“Because Hermione’s sleeping. What do you think will happen if she awoke to find you in our room?”

“Then come with me,” he repeated. “Trust me, Violet,” his hand reached out and took hold of mine, “I won’t let you fall.”

I could feel my body begin to shake from nervousness, but I couldn’t possibly keep Draco here. Hermione could wake up in any moment, and this was definitely not something I wanted to explain to her, so I agreed.

Still shaking, I stepped onto the window ledge, doing my best to not look down. Draco moved closer to the window to help me get onto the broom. Once I had situated myself behind him, he instructed me to hold onto him tightly before we took off.

My eyes were glued shut as I rode with Draco through the night sky. I was too terrified to look and see where we were heading, because I knew the moment I saw the rooftops of Hogwarts, I would probably scream my head off.

Soon, the cold wind stopped blowing through my hair, and I could feel something solid beneath my feet. I opened my eyes and found that Draco and I had landed in the Astronomy Tower.

“I wanted to talk to you about Christmas,” Draco said getting straight to the point. “I heard about what Bellatrix and my father did, and I’m sorry I haven’t been able to talk to you about it—to see how you’re doing because of Pansy.”

“It’s all right,” I grinned. “I understand.”

“I was really worried about you. It was so hard for me to fall asleep not knowing how you were,” Draco informed.

“Thank you for caring so much.”

I smiled as I pulled himself into his arms. I could hear the sound of his heart beating in my ear. It was beating so rapidly—beating the same rhythm as mine.

“Draco,” I sadly muttered, “I have something important to tell you.”

“Don’t,” Draco suddenly said. “I overheard you and Granger talking—I know what you’re going to say.”

“But, how?” I asked as I straightened up.

“You weren’t at dinner. When Granger showed up, I overheard her talking to Potter and the Weasleys. I came looking for you as well.”

“You really must stop this eavesdropping habit of yours,” I teased. “It’s going to get you into trouble one of these days.”

“I would eavesdrop on a pack of hungry trolls if they were speaking of you,” Draco joked.

I smiled but groaned softly as I placed my head back against Draco’s chest. “Why does it seem like everything is against us? First the whole house thing, and then the Muggle and wizard issue, and now this.”

“Don’t forget the whole different worlds thing,” Draco added.

I smiled at this. “Yes, we can’t forget that.”
In a soft voice, Draco said, “I don’t want you to leave, Violet.”

“I have to…” I could already feel tears starting to form in my eyes. “For the both of us, I have to go back home. I have to return home where I belong.”

Draco remained quiet for a while. But then he said, “This wouldn’t be a problem if you didn’t know what was going to happen between the Dark Lord and Potter…”

I nodded. “But I do…and that’s why I have to leave.”

“When? When are you leaving?” Draco asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “Hermione and I are going to go talk to Dumbledore tomorrow about how to get me back home. Depending on if he knows or not will determine how long I remain here.”

“I wish—I wish you would stay forever,” Draco said with a shaking voice. “I wish we could stay like this forever—together and without not a care in the world.”

“I would love that…more than anything in the world...”

Tears escaped my eyes as I wrapped my arm around Draco and held him tightly. This was unfair—this was so unfair. I want to be with him. I want him by my side. I want to hold him and kiss those soft lips of his. I want to hear his voice whispering my name.

With all my heart, I wished that time would stop so that Draco and I can stay together. I don’t want to let him go. I can’t let him go. I love him—I love Draco Malfoy.